iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodland Mills HM126

Started by fuzzybear, May 09, 2012, 08:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hamish

Jim,

Unless you have one built in your backyard replacement parts will always be time and money.  Its important in those circumstances to have spares redialy available locally or stock up beforehand.  Most everything on that mill can be sourced or fabricated/repaired locally.

A thought.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

rimshot

I just purchased a mill after researching several low end machines.  The Woodland showed very well and seems to serve many owners quite well.  I think it's a fair observationi to note both the mill and the Kohler engine that comes aboard the sawmill are made in China.  However unfortunate for the marketers of this mill, that is an obstacle for this company to overcome.  I dunno about some of that Chinese produced steel.  It could beat that produced in North America for all I know.  I am just talking about the way it seems to me.

It is a positive that the HM126 takes a large diameter log and I think they can handle a 12 footer with the standard bed. 
I did not notice a large price difference between the Wood Mizer competing lt 10 when ciompared wwith the Woodland model.  Just some of my thoughts about two good units.

rim
LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

hamish

Quote from: rimshot on February 10, 2013, 08:35:05 PM
I think it's a fair observationi to note both the mill and the Kohler engine that comes aboard the sawmill are made in China.  However unfortunate for the marketers of this mill, that is an obstacle for this company to overcome.  I dunno about some of that Chinese produced steel.  It could beat that produced in North America for all I know.  I am just talking about the way it seems to me.

Everything has to be looked at from a cost perspective.  Any difference with a Kohler made in China versus a Briggs or Honda made in China?  Very seldomly now do I see a piece of raw stock steel that is stamped Canada or USA.

Just beacuse it says Made in...........doesnt mean its garbage, for most of you on here seeing Made in France, Germany, Sweden, Canada would ellicit the same responce as made in China.

customsawyer

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think that the Woodlands mill is made in China.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Happycamper

Yes, The motor and mill are made in China. Two year warranty on mill and 3 year warranty on motor.
                                       Jim
Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

customsawyer

As I understand it Woodlands mills, who is a sponsor of this forum, does not make their mills in China. Their mills have been copied by China and are now sold through Harbor Freight. I don't know about the engines on the mills.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

HaroldSiefke

I have done some modifying on my HM126. The best one so far was the blade guides that I welded in place of originals. I made one that was movable. I cut alot straight boards then i use to 8) Roller blade guides are the way to go.

Harold

Tree Feller

Woodland Mills sawmills are indeed manufactured in China. It's stated under the FAQ's on their site. I just read it.

However, I don't view "made in China" as necessarily a bad thing. The Chinese factories generally build to the specifications they are given and if those specifications are high, the end product will be, also. The fact that they are made in China just means the cost can be kept low enough that many who normally couldn't afford a mill can do so now. That's a good thing.

The Harbor Freight mill is a general copy of the Woodland Mills version but the specs and materials are not the same quality.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

customsawyer

Tree Feller thanks for setting me strait. I stand corrected.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

hunterbuild

I have the HF saw. I did a lot of research on both saws and except for a few differences (the motor) they are basically the same saw not a cheap knock off. That being said the HF has some problems with customer service. I have handled the problems myself. I'm very happy with my saw and have cut several thousand board ft, and some 20" stuff which does slow down the 7.5 hp motor! :D

hackberry jake

Quote from: hamish on February 10, 2013, 11:35:16 PM
Quote from: rimshot on February 10, 2013, 08:35:05 PM
I think it's a fair observationi to note both the mill and the Kohler engine that comes aboard the sawmill are made in China.  However unfortunate for the marketers of this mill, that is an obstacle for this company to overcome.  I dunno about some of that Chinese produced steel.  It could beat that produced in North America for all I know.  I am just talking about the way it seems to me.

Everything has to be looked at from a cost perspective.  Any difference with a Kohler made in China versus a Briggs or Honda made in China?  Very seldomly now do I see a piece of raw stock steel that is stamped Canada or USA.

Just beacuse it says Made in...........doesnt mean its garbage, for most of you on here seeing Made in France, Germany, Sweden, Canada would ellicit the same responce as made in China.

Honda isn't made in China, It's made in Japan. I had a conversation with an older gentlemen the other day and he commented on my Toyota truck. He said our economy would be doing better if more people bought more American made stuff. I informed him that Toyota has been moving their factories to America while all the major "American" manufactures have been moving to Mexico, Canada, and you guessed it China. He said he would have to look into that. I haven't seen him since, but looking forward to when I do. Toyota is the most American made truck on the road today.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

hackberry jake

I just looked up the most "American built" car... Honda Accord, second place is Toyota Camry.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

hamish

Quote from: hackberry jake on February 11, 2013, 11:44:10 PM

[/quote]

Honda isn't made in China, It's made in Japan. [/quote]

Most Honda GX series motors are made in Taiwan, PRC.

Woodsman76

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and just wanted to say that I have been looking for a mill for quite some time to fit my budget, and after going back and forth for a month and money situation I ended up ordering this mill the Hm126 from woodland mills. I was going to buy a Norwood but again my wife had convinced me to try them out and I got to tell you for less then the norwoood lumberlite without the cost of shipping she was able to put together the woodland mills saw which come ith a free matinence kit, I bought a box of 10 blades and extra track to cut 16' with log dog, and we had also bought cant hooks, a tennon cutter for making wood furniture etc. and had paid less then the cost of the Norwood  LumberLite without shipping which was almost $500, and we spent right at $4,000.00 USD Now was that A good deal???? I don't know I sure hope so, but by judging by all the testimonies on thier site it looks like we did good. The mill will be here Friday Feb 15th and when it gets here I will do a review and upload pics and will put a video on outube there after. My wallet said I did the right thing and my wife haaaahaa more money for here I guess. But I can tell you this I definately would not of went with one of those Harbor freght machines even know I could of got it for half of the price of this mill, I believe I would of spent twice as much modding it up to be only half as good as this. I have a stack of water oaks and I believe redoaks ready to be run through the mill and I can't wait! I will keep you all posted on the new rig friday night and hope it will help someone. Thanks everyone I have been enjoying reading this site with lots of helpful posts on here. 8)

Jeff

Congrats on the new sawmill Woodsman76!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

schakey

Fuzzybear,if I remember right there is a post on setting the blade tension without a gauge and thank you for taking the time for the review.
Woodsman76,good luck with your new mill and can't wait to see your pictures and video. I really enjoy watching different mills operating
and different yard setups.
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

Happycamper

Tomorrow is the day you are waiting for. I too will be interested in hearing ,seeing about your new mill. I did come very close to buying one also. I feel you are dealing with a nice pair of fellows at Woodland and wished they were in the west also.
                                          Jim

Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

bandit11208

Woodsman,
        I purchased a HM126 last June and it is a well-built mill. Well worth the $3000.00 price tag. There is a learning curve in its operation so hang with it and it will do everything you need it to. Couple tips right of the bat is to take off the head clamp bolts and blade guide bearings and use blue Loctite on them. Mine came apart after a couple hours of use and had to special order a bearing at $28.00.  :( Only have done a couple mods on it so far, stuck a piece of tubing on the lube line to extend it all the way to the top of the blade and also added a 5 gal. bucket with s hook and backstop on the discharge chute to collect sawdust and added an extra log clamp. Neil at woodland mills is awesome to work with if you have a problem.   Sam

Winter sawing in the great North woods.

Woodland mills Hm126, Sthil MS461, MS261, MS250, MS180, 1949 Ford 8n, Ariens 27 ton splitter.

Woodsman76

Thanks for all the responses everyone and too Bandit11208 I will definately go grab the locktite first thing in the morning, I just checked the tracking and it left Alanta Ga heading to me here in FL so I am guessing that it will be here first thing in the morning and can not wait. Also like the idea with the 5 gallon bucket to collect the sawdust "Cool."
HaroldSiefke I really like the mod with the moveable saw guide, anyway you send or post some more detailed pics on the mod I would really love to do that to mine. Anyway it's midnight and I can not wait until tomorrow I am glad I am selfemployed so when my saw does show i done for the day lol!!! Well I will be sure to give everyone my take on this mill and a honest opinion. By the way the people at Woodlandmills were great to deal with.

thecfarm

Woodsman76,welcome to the forum. How did you sleep last night?  :D  Is the wood of the mill going to be used for making furniture? Ever been around a sawmill? Good luck to you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!