iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Frame using Portland Bolts

Started by LaserZX, October 22, 2012, 06:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaserZX

I came across Portland Bolts in a timber frame search.    I have been looking for simple ways to joint timber frames
together.   I thought these bolts might work for my solution.   I am wondering if anyone on here has used them to built anything. Thanks in advance.

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

beenthere

How is the Portland Bolts company product any different than any other bolt?

They make many different style bolts. Which one are you asking about for a timber frame?

Ahhh!
I guess you are asking about the timber bolts made by Portland Bolts.
Look much like carriage bolts unless the price of the Portland timber bolts are cheaper.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LaserZX

cheaper is not always better  sometimes that cost lots more in the long run.   I was looking at the fact they have been in business for 100 years and  the simple design  that is unlike anything I have found    I believe the price is reasonable
they have a 200 min order.     they are mainly a specialty and custom build manufacturer

2bitaxe

Bolts are bolts, what really matters are the specs on the plates that hold the timbers together. I wouldn't try to bolt something together unless an engineer who does this kind of stuff gave me plans and specs for the plates and bolt patterns for my specific project in my specific area (live and dead loading, wind, quakes, etc.). The building inspectors in my area would want to see that.

You'd be surprised how much plates cost. When you add up all the hardware costs you may think about just doing the old fashioned way.

Just me two cents.

Tom Jefferson
DIY Timber Frame
tom@diytimberframe.com

Brad_bb

So you are planning post and beam construction?  Not a timberframe?  To be a timberframe, it has to be joined with mortise and tenon and wood pegs. 

We've discussed the differences between the two styles.  I would say that the consensus was that either style was going to have about the same amount of work with all things considered.  Post and beam is not quicker or cheaper when done right.  You have to factor in the custom fabrication of the plates and the fitting and preparation still need to be as careful and precise. 

If you are choosing one style over another, I'd recommend using what you want as far as asthetics.  If you want a true timberframe, don't be intimidated.  It's not voo doo science.  Just about anyone can learn the layout and cutting techniques.  If you have the skill to do a post and beam correctly, then you can do timberframe too.  You can do it.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!