iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bad milling

Started by JohnSR, February 12, 2013, 12:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5quarter

Some of you guys need to take another look at that pic. 400BF of that. customer was charged for that. No, that fellow simply doesn't give a you-know-what. seriously, I can cut better lumber with a chainsaw...freehand. a guy like that does not want any help. he's got his beer money so what does he care?  Guys like that just burn me up.
As an aside to the OP, you really do owe your friend an apology. I don't recommend anyone anymore unless I know them or have seen their work. I have made the same mistake a couple times and felt awful on both occasions.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Art_H

Quote from: mikeb1079 on February 12, 2013, 10:32:51 PM
i could actually see that being a byproduct of a chainsaw mill with skip tooth chisel chain.  i started out milling with a csm and always used milling chain (top plate angle 10 degrees).  one day just to experiment i used a standard full comp cross cutting chain to mill with.  got a VERY rough scalloped finish similar to that but more criss cross looking if that makes any sense.  i could see with a skip tooth pattern getting those regular deep grooves like that. 

i will say however with everything setup right on a chainsaw mill using milling chain you can get a finish that's very smooth.  maybe not bandsaw smooth but pretty close.  either way, that dude needs some forestry forum in his life!   :D :D

Yeah... Until he sees this thread...

There seems to be a lot of milling for half the wood kind of deals going on where I am anyway.  Never really liked the idea of that system.  I cut down a 46" Douglas Fir stump to the ground for a lady, (too rocky to excavate for the money willing to spend...) and she said the tree was milled by a neighbor for half the timber.  She pointed to a small pile of milled wood, and all I'm thinking is 46" fir stump...Where's the beef!!?

How do you even decide who gets what wood?  If you give the timber supplier all the good stuff, then you get screwed, and vice-versa. 

I prefer a system of paid labor, and a guarantee of buying x number of board feet of a certain quality from the timber after the job.  Seems to me a fair arrangement that protects both parties.

Jemclimber

Before I knew about the FF or had a band mill I used to mill with a homemade chainsaw mill with a 395xp and skip chain. I used skip chain (sharpened at the normal 25 degree top plate angle) because I sharpened on the mill because changing chains took more time. On my concoction I had to unclamp the bar to change a chain. That mill never produced boards with that pattern. I would think you would need a very uneven length of teeth or uneven sharpness to get a chainsaw with any top plate angle to cut like that. 

This miller either was dealing with a log that had lots of hardware and didn't want to ruin another blade or just didn't care.  Some people are meticulous and some people are slobs, it's just how people are. Some people want to learn and better themselves and some just want their beer money.  There is a saying that goes "How you do anything is how you do everything".  If it were me I would ask what was going on and decide whether or not to ever deal with this fellow again.
lt15

slider

Actually his feed rate was way slow ,look at the ridge spacing.I would say he was trying to get by with a band that was trashed on the previous job.Go ahead and stone him or send him to re- sharp rehab .
al glenn

Meadows Miller

Gday

Jake that comment is spot on there with what this place is about Mate  ;)  ;D ;D 8)  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) I have told a fair few people both here in Aust over the years and when I was in the USA to get on The Forum if they wanted to research learn or just hang out with an Awesome group of people.

Some people have been known to get by by setting bands with a Shifter/Cresent wrench when they have been in a bind and without their setter in the truck  ;) ;D I used an old handsaw setter for years it was great you could retune a band on the mill if it was playing up  ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Happycamper

They would make great washboards should the automatic washer let you down.
Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

Tim Lea

It would be nice to know the true story of these boards.. Like how long has this guy been sawing and what not.. And like ( Jack ) said let him or her know about the forum.. I myself have learned so much from all of you..

two-legged-sawmill

Shelbey 78, I believe you nailed it! The blade is sharp as it cut both boards realitively the same, the groves and ridges are slightly wider on the narrow board as it was cutting less wood than on the wider one. The patern would change quicker with a duller blade?? It might even start a new fad, like on some concrete and stone buildings have Groves!
"There are no secrets to success. It is the results of preperation, hard work, and learning from failures"

JohnSR

Well guys, the neighbor came over with a pickup load of the better stuff. It looked like the picture posted just not as deep. We plan to run it through the edger and then plane it. Hope to get some stuff he can use. Lots of waves in the boards. Asked him what kind of mill the guy used and he didn't know as the logs were picked up from his property and milled someplace else.  He is supposed to get me the phone number so if he remembers will let all know. He did say the guy is new in the area.  Thought I knew all the guys with mills in the area (13 within 10 miles). Will keep an eye out for this guy.

hackberry jake

You could probably replicate that by setting 5 or so teeth in one direction then a raker then 5 or so the other direction. IF you wanted to duplicate this.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

customsawyer

Jeff I don't need a hat, have lots of them, but I would like to find out what really happened.

For the record I learned that kind of teaching from our very fine Mr. Tom so he is the one that deserves the credit. ;)  I pray that I am able to help someone half as much as that man helped me. If there was a medal of honor for teaching Tom has it coming.  :)
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

drobertson

If that pattern could be duplicated without tearing anything up, and keep an even cut from end to end, it might make a good trailor floor?  Just saying, after reading MM's post on the ribbed cypress, I have had comments that my boards were to slick, even had one fellow say can you rough them up a bit?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

I have no idea what I hit to make my blade do that and did not check it to see what was wrong.  I just changed it and kept on sawing.  It was not quite as bad as that stuff pictured, but it was plenty bad.  The groves were at least 1/8" deep or more.   I have often wished that I had looked.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

I've gotten a similar pattern by setting every tooth and no raker with an exagerated set of about 40 thou. The boards look pretty wavy as well as having the grooves. I think maybe the operator tried sharpening and seting freehand.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!