iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's it called????

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, December 09, 2013, 09:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have never seen one of these in person. A friend sent me a pic.

I searched the FF and did not find any talk about it. I may build one of these just for the fun of it.
I will let y'all guess a few times and then I will post a pic of it in use from way back in the 1800-1900's.
These things have been around for ever and are made a little differently depending on the builder but they all look a like. They can be built from any wood.

Do you know what it's called? I'll tell later if ya don't get it.  :)

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

JohnM

The elusive 'board stretcher'? ??? :-\
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Jim_Rogers

I don't care what it's called, but what is it used for?
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This wood of choice is PINE. And the reason the older builders chose Pine was because of the flexibility of the wood.

thecfarm

And don't let the curved flat part on the bottoms throw you for a loop. Some are flat.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on December 09, 2013, 09:24:04 AM
And don't let the curved flat part on the bottoms throw you for a loop. Some are flat.

That rights Ray. If you know what it's called PM me.

thecfarm

Jim,not that many around this far North either.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on December 09, 2013, 09:26:38 AM
Jim,not that many around this far North either.

That a good point Ray. I do think these were used a lot more in the South and you would see a lot of them on Plantations.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

True fact: Legend has it, if you owned one of these, you would never have an un-wed Daughter.

Gary_C

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

elk42

Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

SawyerBrown

I'm trying to figure out the shadows in this sketch.  It's one of those optical de-lusions.
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Gary_C

Quote from: SawyerBrown on December 09, 2013, 11:45:11 AM
  It's one of those optical de-lusions.

I think you've got it nailed.  8)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SFires

A man can always use more tools, more space,more wood, and a whole lot more time.

Texas Ranger

All I can think of is splinters. :D
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Hilltop366

It all started when someone put a board on the backs of two rocking chairs.

As its use became more common purpose built ones were made eliminating the rest of the rocking chairs, they fell out of favour giving way to the more compact design used until the late 1930.

When rural electricity became more common they were replaced by motor driven ones that are used to this day.

Ok I really have no idea what it is, I just made this all up.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

lowpolyjoe

That's pretty cool.  Would be a unique backyard bench for sure.  Wonder how long the wood has to be to get a decent "joggle" action going on.   

I'm surprised thejogglefactory seems to paint all theirs.. i would have thought there would be a lot more charm to the piece with exposed grain.   

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: lowpolyjoe on December 09, 2013, 02:57:47 PM
That's pretty cool.  Would be a unique backyard bench for sure.  Wonder how long the wood has to be to get a decent "joggle" action going on.   

I'm surprised thejogglefactory seems to paint all theirs.. i would have thought there would be a lot more charm to the piece with exposed grain.

My guess and only my guess is to make them out of Pine for flexibility. Thus painting the Pine to last longer.

VT_Forestry

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on December 09, 2013, 03:33:54 PM
My guess and only my guess is to make them out of Pine for flexibility. Thus painting the Pine to last longer.

It's so your joggling board doesn't get all whoppy jawed  :D
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Thank You Sponsors!