iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

smelly cedar

Started by scot wolf, May 18, 2014, 07:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scot wolf

This cedar is is my grandma's yard. Very close to house, so I am going to take it down before a Strom comes along.  Can't tell by the pic but it is big. 32+" 2' above ground and 18+' to the first knot.  Should I try  to have it milled?

Likes to play on the farms and in the shop
John Deere 4120 with 400x loader and grapple to haul out logs and firewood
Stihl saws of all sizes to cut 'em up

Ianab

Can't tell the exact species from that picture, but the log looks useful, and pretty much all those "cedar" species are useful for something. There's a risk of metal in a yard tree, so have a close look at it and run a metal detector over it first if you can.

Closeup of the leaves might help with the ID. Hard to tell, but it looks a bit like Cryptomeria japonica or Japanese Cedar? Often planted as an ornamental. Not a true cedar, but still has nice timber,

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Shotgun

Scott Wolf, how about putting your general location in your profile (e.g. Central wherever, or nearest city/village, state) .  That insures that we know where you're coming from to enable a more concise offer of assistance, or response to your posts.  That doesn't look like the cedar that we have in Michigan.  Thanks for considering modifying your profile. "Cedar" is a relative term, considering the geographical location.
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

scot wolf

Thanks, will do.  The tree is in central Illinois. Maybe it isn't cedar at all. I did take another one out a few years ago from the other side of her house, it was aromatic cedar.

highleadtimber16

Looks like a spruce to me. I don't know much about the trees you guys have that way, but it definitely doesn't look like cedar.
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

Magicman

Whatever it is, I would saw it.  If the butt does appear to have metal, there should still be at least one good log.

Just curious, why do you think that it is about to be taken out by a storm?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brleclaire

I'm going with spruce also

Ianab

Spruce doesn't have much smell though? The way it droops and has fresh green shoots on the ends reminds me of Japanese Cedar. But of couse thats not really a cedar either
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

barbender

I'd put money on it being a spruce. If the needles smell "skunky" when crushed, it's likely a white spruce, unless it is an imported species like Norway spruce. I'm not familiar with those. Either way, any spruce makes nice light and straight lumber if it is knot free.
Too many irons in the fire

hunz

That is most definitely a spruce. I could be wrong, but here in NC that is exactly what ours look like ;)
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

dboyt

Species doesn't matter... that tree has a nice log in it!  You're going to cut it down?  Unless you're insured and bonded, or Grandma & her neighbors have some really good insurance, leave it to an arborist.  Looks like very little margin for error on putting it on the ground.  I know tree trimmers aren't cheap, but they earn their pay.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

scot wolf

Quote from: Magicman on May 18, 2014, 09:34:31 PM
Whatever it is, I would saw it.  If the butt does appear to have metal, there should still be at least one good log.

Just curious, why do you think that it is about to be taken out by a storm?

It is on the west side of the house, is close to it, leaning towards it.  We have a very high deductable on the insurance on that place.

thecfarm

Looks like there is a cement,tar walkway. If you cut it,might want to lay a few tires,with no rims, on the walkway. I doubt the limbs would let it hit hard enough to break the walkway,but you never know.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scot wolf

Quote from: dboyt on May 19, 2014, 07:00:25 AM
Species doesn't matter... that tree has a nice log in it!  You're going to cut it down?  Unless you're insured and bonded, or Grandma & her neighbors have some really good insurance, leave it to an arborist.  Looks like very little margin for error on putting it on the ground.  I know tree trimmers aren't cheap, but they earn their pay.

My uncle has a hi lift.  We took out one closer to the house than that a couple years ago. Just started in the lower limbs working our way up then cut the "christmas" tree off the top. Then worked back down.

WDH

I think that it is Norway spruce, Picea abies.  It has the drooping branchlets of Norway spruce.

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=99
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

scot wolf

Quote from: WDH on May 19, 2014, 07:35:17 AM
I think that it is Norway spruce, Picea abies.  It has the drooping branchlets of Norway spruce.

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=99

I do believe that is it.

Thank You Sponsors!