iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hood slashers revisited

Started by Coopthecutter, July 31, 2022, 01:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coopthecutter

I'm potentially interested in buying an older Hood 24000 and was wondering if anyone has some recent experience with them. My questions are mainly about the circular slasher. Will they cut big wood? Most of the trees I cut are 30 inches or bigger diameter on the stump. And can you adjust the length on the trailer mounted saw, or is 16'6 the longest they will cut? I really like the idea of the circular saw especially for a one man operation not having to mess with chains and bars and such. Nobody in my area runs self propelled loaders in the woods, or circle slashers so I have no local opinion to go off of

Firewoodjoe

No personal experience with a hood. They were quite common and supposedly very good loaders. As far as slashing with circle saw yes I do. Self propelled and circle saw is all everyone has here. If they are still tree length. Very few now a days. 60" saw you have to roll anything big. They make a 72" also. Take in account for the mount and you have to roll the big ones. (So less than half the saw diameter) Fast simple reliable though.

Firewoodjoe

If your topping in the woods and only slashing stems. Rolling them isn't that bad. I'd rather roll a few then deal with a bar and chain. We've cut hundreds maybe a thousand or more cord and never touch the saw. Obviously rocks are bad. Check your center saw bolt every day when you grease. Look for cracks. If you blow a hose stall the saw into wood. She'll pump a lot of oil free wheeling. Don't park anything like pickups behind the saw. Chunks fly. 

BargeMonkey

🤦‍♂️ I've been down this road. If your cutting BIG wood all the time I wouldn't go circle saw. Friend of mine out in Norwich NY puts out more GOOD wood than 90% of the guys here combined, new Barko loader and a barsaw slasher, he went circle, went back to a barsaw. It takes 5mins to change a chain, hit the rails every other week with a grinder. If your in super mud buy one of the "chain-serts" chains. Circle saw doesn't like a steady diet of it, yeah you can do it and roll them, log moves and your cuts don't quite meet up. I've got both, Propac 600 60" circle with my Hood 24000 and 2x barsaw slashers for the Barko 160. Other than the cost of bar oil, your not getting ahead with a circle saw unless your slashing smaller wood and short wood, 8' like we do for pulp, only place it really shines. 

What year hood ? I got educated in "Hood" by the guys at Davco, certain models, certain years, and certain dealers will spec them out diff. Mine has the stacked pumps, none of the tri-drive gear box nightmare. Live heel is worth every penny on a big loader. Loaders are around but you've got to watch out buying garbage, I could have bought this one in Feb for 16k,

would have made a nice loader if you threw 20k at it, converted the pumps over. It got cobbled together and went north I believe. 
 Those hoods aren't a "Fast" loader, mines a 2004 ? Hagan carrier, high rise cab, 28k bearing. I had been looking for a yr, another logger I know in the NEK knew where this one was sitting, I jumped on that like a hand grenade. 

Self propelled doesn't mean you can ram it into a postage sized landing, 2' of slop, both loaders Ive got are tandem drive and front steer self propelled, it's handy but you want to be careful where you put the loader. A bare trailer with a grapple bar is the way to go sometimes, or buy a shovel on tracks plumbed for a saw / remote saw and you never worry about it. You want all of a 648 size skidder plus something else handy you get a big loader stuck, something else to think about. 

Coopthecutter

Thanks guys I really appreciate the input. Barge The model I was looking at is an 02 I believe, had the high rise cab. Hard to tell much from pics would definitely have to check it out in person. The guy I work for now has a 437E that he drags around with his 548. Unless it's nice solid ground getting it set usually requires the dozer helping push. I would definitely be moving it with a 648 size skidder, hopefully a 610E but we'll see 

Firewoodjoe

The front wheel drive ones get stuck super easy. The ones around here are on a tandem truck chassis. Full quad lock. Chain it up and it will go until the hydraulics run out of power. Even some 6x6 out there. Yeah if it's steady wood over 30" at the cut. Not the butt. It takes a big tree to have 30" at the top of the log. They weren't meant for large trees. 24" cuts and less you won't beat it in any aspect.

Thank You Sponsors!