iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hardness of old pine knot

Started by Sixacresand, May 10, 2017, 05:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixacresand

I ran into this situation today.  I took perfect cuts on two sides of a 16 ft pine log.  The tree had been dead for a while,no bark, no shake, dry and solid.  On the first cut on the third side, after a couple of inches the began to wonder and wave, so I eased out of the cut and looked for a nail.  What I found was small knot about 3/4 inch diameter:  no metal even after digging around looking.  I installed a fresh blade.  As soon as the blade hit this same knot the blade began wondering again,  I think this knot is as hard a steel giving me a fit.

I changed blades again, chainsawed off the end containing the knot and did not have any more problems.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Kbeitz

I jack up the blade pressure when that happens.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ga Mtn Man

I don't know that I've ever had that happen to me.  Were you getting blade marks as if you had hit metal?  Wondering if it was hard enough to mess up the set. 
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Sixacresand

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on May 10, 2017, 08:04:19 PM
I don't know that I've ever had that happen to me.  Were you getting blade marks as if you had hit metal?  Wondering if it was hard enough to mess up the set.
It did leave marks after the knot, so was probably disrupted the set.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Magicman

4° Blades should not wave on Pine knots.  I had good results Saturday with 7° Turbos.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

John, when I see a large knot or area that causes deflection I slow the feed to a crawl which is fine if you see it. As mentioned less hook is good. If a knot is hit at too high a feed rate there is a likelihood the set will be affected and that trips the dive alarm. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

pineywoods

I ran into the same situation. Didn't make any sense until close examination of the knot revealed a marble sized rock embedded right in the middle. Band blades don't like rocks  ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

TKehl

If you want to send me a piece I can test it to see how it compares to steel.  I have access to a micro indenter.   :D :D :D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

moodnacreek

Frozen hemlock knots  can break mill saw teeth. I*'ve seen petrified e. red cedar suckers throw sparks.  Theses things happen.

Sixacresand

Well, It happened again yesterday in the second log of the same dead, dry pine.  With a brand new WM 4 degree blade, after the knot the rest of the cut was like a sine wave.  It will be a blessing when these logs with petrified knots are gone.  These logs are presently the only one's long enough to get 14 foot boards. 

Thank You Sponsors!