iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fence Posts: Osage Orange vs Pressure Treated Pine

Started by Deese, June 21, 2017, 09:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deese

I plan on building a pole barn and want to surround it and the log yard with an impressive heavy duty wood fence. How would Osage Orange fence posts compare with pressure treated pine? Cost put aside...If I used OA, I'm thinking 8x8''s or larger.
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

pineywoods

If you can get it, go with osage. PT pine fence posts are just a rip-off,
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Magicman

Black Locust would also work if you can find any large enough.  You 'bout need 12" to saw out 8X8's.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ladylake

I'd go with the osage also, depending on your log size I'd think a 6 x6 would be plenty.  Pressure treaded might last if its treaded all the way to the center, some is only treated less than 1" in which are junk.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Deese

I've got a line on a lot of OA. Free. Black locust is out of the question at this point. I can do pressure treated pine, but thinking Osage Orange. I want the fence to be huge and eye catching. It's a roadside location and will enclose about 2 acres. It's adjacent to my grandfather's honky-tonk, so I will be putting extra large posts in front of the fence along the parking lot side to prevent folks from backing into it. 8x8 fence posts maybe larger. I could sell the OA or use them as fence posts. That's my delimma. I think I'll come out ahead using them for fencing
Cooks AE4P Edger

Magicman

Since you have a source for OA, there is no questions as to what to use.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DPatton

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Treehack

Osage hands down, any day of the week and twice on Sunday.  Have lots of sharp blades ready.  Pre drill everything because if you use it green it splits easily and if you let it dry, you can lay it on a concrete slab and have better luck driving nails into the concrete.  Once you git r done, it will still be standing when everything else around it is gone.  Looking forward to seeing it when you are done.
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

D6c

Use the osage.....downside is it will only last 75-100 years.

4x4American

Deese your gramps owns a honky tonk and it's next to the sawmill?? I don't think it gets much better than that!!!
Boy, back in my day..

DPatton

I'm with 4 x 4, i want to hear more about the honky tonk.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

LeeB

You wine heads need to stay out of the honky tonks. Deese, please post directions to your sawmill.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

4x4American

:D :D 8)  We needa have a forestry forum honky tonk gathering I do believe!
Boy, back in my day..

Deese

You guys are too funny. But yes, I DO want to have a FF gathering once I get everything going.
Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

All of these pine trees are coming down, and the barn will be somewhere in there. If you look closely, you can see my boy standing out there. I am 33 years old and most of those trees were planted the month that I was born. This pic is facing South. The paved road is to the right and runs North/South. The honky tonk is out of view on the left. The driveway encircles this tract of syp, which makes it an ideal spot for a sawmill business.

This is an attempt at a panoramic shot I took yesterday. My Grandfather's house is on the far right and you can see part of the honky tonk on the left. You can see how the driveway encircles the spot I'm interested in. 

Cooks AE4P Edger

Thank You Sponsors!