iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Questions for 2x8 T&G roof decking nailing

Started by Lennyzx11, October 20, 2023, 06:40:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lennyzx11

Hi all.
I'll get right to it.
I have a Bostitch 21° framing nailer that I'd like to use putting my roof decking on but want to make sure it's the right choice vs screws.
The pitch(es) are 7:12 & 8:12.
The boards are 2x8" by 16'.
Thank you for advice.
Lenny

1. 16 penny nails are called for 2" t&g I researched. That's a 3 1/2" length. What would be the corresponding recommended size (wire)? Galvanized, framing, finish, etc?

2. The ends are NOT face t&g. Do I need to land on a rafter with each connection and not out in "free air"?
(The rafters are 24-28" apart).

3. Is it 2 nails per supporting member for 2x8 face nailed? This will be covered with underlayment and shingles.
Southwest corner of Vermont

doc henderson

good morning.  will the deck be seen from the underside?  My framing nails are also referred to by the penny gauge.  I have used ring shank, but I do not recall them coming as large as that.  i think the ends should join over a rafter.  you could use a spline if it will be seen, and you need max. coverage.  you would hate to have an end stick up or down especially if seen.  My two cents, no charge!   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

beenthere

Lenny
What species? What is the underlayment intended to be?

Are you following manufacturer's recommendations with this fastening plan? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Lennyzx11

Quote from: doc henderson on October 20, 2023, 09:34:47 AM
good morning.  will the deck be seen from the underside?  My framing nails are also referred to by the penny gauge.  I have used ring shank, but I do not recall them coming as large as that.  i think the ends should join over a rafter.  you could use a spline if it will be seen, and you need max. coverage.  you would hate to have an end stick up or down especially if seen.  My two cents, no charge!   :)
I agree Doc. I didn't know if the T&G. Was consider sufficient support. I'll be safe and cut to the rafter support.
Thanks

Lennyzx11

Quote from: beenthere on October 20, 2023, 11:11:23 AM
Lenny
What species? What is the underlayment intended to be?

Are you following manufacturer's recommendations with this fastening plan?
It appears to be EWP or hemlock. I'll have to ask the local mill that made it.
There are no manufacturer's plans.
The Timberframehq plans stop at the frame and only the notation "2x t&g decking" is on the plans.
Hence I thought I'd ask you guys best practice guidelines.

The underlayment is intended to be old school 30lb felt but I'm open to suggestions otherwise if warranted.
Lenny

rjwoelk

I would go with self adhesive  ice and water shield membrane.  Why are the rafters 28 inches?
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

beenthere

I understood underlayment as OSB or plywood. 
With felt, I think you will telegraph the individual deck boards through to your shingles unless wood shingles. The decking is going to move, I believe, with mc changes and drying in place. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Don P

This is from the nailing schedule in chapter 6 of the IRC, check out item #25

My gun shoots 0.131's so by that table I'd put in 4 per bearing. Most people have never driven a 16 common, I think a sinker is .149.

This is from the AITC Timber Construction Manual. It explains controlled random layout patterns.

Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

Quote from: beenthere on October 20, 2023, 03:33:24 PM
I understood underlayment as OSB or plywood.
With felt, I think you will telegraph the individual deck boards through to your shingles unless wood shingles. The decking is going to move, I believe, with mc changes and drying in place.
Hmmm... I never thought of that. I assumed the 2x8s as structurally sound but never thought about the flexible layers on top forming to the board lines. 
Something to think about.
Thanks for the heads up!

Lennyzx11

Quote from: rjwoelk on October 20, 2023, 02:34:20 PM
I would go with self adhesive  ice and water shield membrane.  Why are the rafters 28 inches?
The plans called for 30" on center. With the way it worked out due to a small extension to accommodate some length added to tie to the old shop, the distances ended up being 24" between to be uniform. So 28" on center.
I have been leaning to using the membrane. I used it on my wraparound porch that I built on the house and liked how it turned out.

Lennyzx11

Quote from: Don P on October 20, 2023, 06:49:39 PM
This is from the nailing schedule in chapter 6 of the IRC, check out item #25

My gun shoots 0.131's so by that table I'd put in 4 per bearing. Most people have never driven a 16 common, I think a sinker is .149.

This is from the AITC Timber Construction Manual. It explains controlled random layout patterns.

Thanks Don. Mine shoots .131 also. So that recommendation of 4 per support sounds like a plan. 

scsmith42

Most framing nailers won't shoot 3.5" nails, so be sure to check your maximum length.

I had to buy my 3.5" ring / spiral shank nail gun nails from Maze.  Expensive but top quality.

Locally I can only buy 3"
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Ljohnsaw

My Porter Cable will shoot 3.5" nails.  I bought some to toenail the blocking in my floor joists.  It's a 21° gun so it uses the plastic connectors on the strips.  The nails shoot fine but the thicker wire with the plastic doesn't slide well in the magazine.  So, after each shot you have to bang it or physically push the strip forward.  Kind of a pain.  BUT, much better than hand nailing!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038
Ford 545D FEL
Genie S45
Davis Little Monster backhoe
Case 16+4 Trencher
Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!