iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Workshop Insulation?

Started by lazy-river, January 22, 2007, 07:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lazy-river

Hello All,

Thinking about insulating my 12x16 two story with 1 inch celotex(foil on both sides) on the inside.  the building is a timber frame, with board and batton siding.  right now, my inside walls are the one inch hemlock siding that I nailed from the outside.
I can get a 1/2 price deal on the celotex, so I was considering this route.    will this give me any r value?  any potentail for moisture getting trapped?  any other ideas?(felt paper?)

thanks for the forum.

oakiemac

I'm interested in ideas as well. I'm about ready to start insulating my new pole built building.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Furby

My experience with the yellowish foil covered foam is a few years old, but it don't hold up well and did absorb water.
I belive of the top of my head the R value is around 3, but not exactly sure.
I know the pink or blue expanded foam has an R value of 5 for 1" and hold up good if not in direct sunlight and even then holds up pretty good.

oakiemac

Yeah that blue foam boards are good and hold up well but they are expensive especially to insulate a whole bldg.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Furby

I'm sitting in the addition with 2" of foam and R-13 batts in the walls.
WELL worth every penny if it's going to be heated!

Qweaver

Find a business that custom cuts the foam from large blocks.  I'm buying from a fairly small supplier near Chillicothe, Ohio for less than half of what it would cost to buy it from a box store.   It is not foil backed but that can be easily done if desired.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Don P

Also compare the R values of what's available to you. I was thinking the polyiso had a higher R than XPS and less loss over time  ???

Raider Bill

I used heavy duty aluminum foil from the grocery store and a million staples on my shop roof, dropped my temp 20 degrees min in the summer time heat. Should work the other way too.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

beenthere

Raider
Where was the aluminum foil stapled onto the roof?  Over or under the rafters?  Any backing used, like sheathing or drywall?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Raider Bill

I stapled it using rolls of the plastic package strapping from harbor freight to the inside rafters and down the middle of the decking. Not a tight fit so air can get in there. We noticed a huge differance immediatlly!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Corley5

We used R-19 kraft faced fiberglass in the walls and ceiling in our shop before covering with half inch chip board.  Works for us  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!