iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Time for a new Moulding Machine

Started by Sawdust Lover, August 26, 2015, 08:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawdust Lover

I have looked back on the forum because I know I have seen where people are comparing the Baker M412 and the Logosol PH260 but didnt really see what I was looking for. I have a small shop and a small moulding machine I have been using and am very happy with. But as a business grows so do the tools. I am in the market for a good moulding machine that will run nice mouldings, paneling flooring etc. The price of the Baker and Logosol are in my price range but I am torn between the two. I personally think they are both excellent machines but would like to know from some of you what you think the pro's and con's are of both. Thanks!

Ludo

If it makes a difference, the Baker machine is made in Taiwan. I though that is was made here like their other machines but it is not.  Due to most of our steel moving overseas, it's pretty hard to build a competitive cast iron machine stateside. I examined the unit last weekend at the NY Woodsman Outdoors Days and it looked good.  I know that their earlier machines had troubles but I was told that the bugs have been worked out now.  The best advice I could give would be to ask members about Baker's track record for correcting problems in any of their equipment and if possible, to go see one in action. Baker should be able to give you someone in your area who could show you theirs. 

Larry

Just to give you an idea, two Weinig moulders went for $100 each at auction a couple of weeks ago.  With some work/money they could have been brought back to life.  The real buy was the Weinig UniMat 30 EL that had been running product when the plant shut down.  It brought $3,600.  12" top and bottom and I think the side heads were 7".  This is not an isolated auction result either.  A couple of months earlier there was another smaller Weinig, also running product that didn't bring the auction reserve, which was scrap iron price.

Either of the last two would make money, provided one had the floor space and power.  That's the problem for most folks.  They are real production machines compared to others.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Kbeitz

Check out Grizzlys tools.
They have a scratch and dent sale comming up in the Pa. store...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ludo

Larry has two great points- bigger machines can be had for great prices if you can run them.  I was also looking at a Weinig that was only a 4 head (8inch wide capacity?), what killed it for me was the power consumption of not only the unit but also the chip vacuum.  These machines need a 4" hose for each cutter head, it all adds up! I guess if you had the power to run the unit, a chip extractor could always be rigged to run off a gas motor like the Amish do.

Sawdust Lover

Space isn't to much of a problem but power is. I would have to get a converter if I got the Baker witch I dont mind  because I am miles from 3 phase. I am wanting to get something up and running soon so buying something from auction and fixing it up may not work but would be my smartest way out.

boardmaker

There is a single phase logosol ph261 in the for sale section right now.  I asked to get the year a few days ago but he hasn't responded yet. 

Around 2007, they upgraded the mahine's top head maximum cut depth from 3/8" to 3/4".that can make or break being able to do quite a few profiles.

jopoff1981

I have 2 Woodmaster planer/moulders and have run thousands of feet of trim through them it's a great machine. One is 20 years old and I bought a new one last year. Made in USA too. It's worth looking into. I have nothing bad to say about them.

Thank You Sponsors!