iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree of the day

Started by caveman, May 08, 2019, 09:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

The ones I remember in Dixie County Fla seemed like they were growing on small bushes rather than medium size trees like we have here. They must have been the red buckeye Danny is talking about as that would not be too far from him. I don't remember them being real common.

The biggest Horse Chestnut, which is often another name for a buckeye, I ever saw was growing on the White House lawn back around late 1977. I think it was well over 36" DBH. I wonder if it is still alive? Because of extra security measures now you can't see it through a simple wrought iron fence like you could back then.

Similarly the biggest Catalpa (Not that anyone asked) I have seen were growing at Colonial Williamsburg.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ianab

Here's one that's probably not come up before... ;D

Little tree I found in the Botanical Garden in Christchurch.

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

caveman

The leaves look a bit like a podacarpus but the form is different than I'm used to seeing, maybe a type of yew.  I think I saw a Sylvester Palm in the background of one of your vacation pictures from a few days ago.
Caveman

tule peak timber

Well, a pic of some leaves in my front yard this morning.

It would be a give away to see a pic of the leaf stem tree trunk junction.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Ianab

Not a palm, it's a Wollemi pine. Australian tree that was thought to be extinct with the dinosaurs. A small stand of them was found in a remote canyon in the 90s and they have collected seeds and sent them around to various gardens to ensure they survive.

Wollemia - Wikipedia

It's not really a pine of course, it's more related to kauri and monkey puzzle.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

tule peak timber

Again the leaf stem trunk junction would have been nice to see and a strong clue.

caveman

Rob, that looks a lot like a sego palm.  Lately,  there is a scale that is wreaking havoc on them locally.
Caveman

WDH

Wollemia pine.  Awesome!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tule peak timber

Quote from: caveman on September 05, 2020, 07:51:10 PM
Rob, that looks a lot like a sego palm.  Lately,  there is a scale that is wreaking havoc on them locally.
Caveman , you are correct.
 I could see Araucaria in the tree but did not want to blurt it out since I wasn't sure. It is a short jump from Cycads to Araucarias. Cheers  Rob

caveman

There are king segos and queen segos (male and female) and you can cut the "pups" off the side of them to start more.  My parents used to have several around their house.  I did not like pruning them or handling the fronds.  Now they only have a couple of them.
Caveman

tule peak timber

20 +- years ago I planted 10,000 Sagos from seed as part of my "farm " before I tried wood working. As the saying goes,,,,I farmed until all of my money was gone. I have just a handful of sagos  in the yard and some Chilean wine palms that I still baby along just because I like them.
 This tree of the day thread is one of my favorites. Cheers Rob

Don P

Quote from: tule peak timber on September 06, 2020, 08:53:16 AMIt is a short jump from Cycads to Araucarias. Cheers  Rob
Cool, learn something new, uhh old, every day.

curdog

Here's one that's simple and opposite. . You may think it's an ace but it's really a cap.

Don P

Now that's interesting, I called it one thing, my wife another, and we both said those are just 2 names for the same thing, so we looked it up, and they aren't. I wonder which this is and how to tell them apart ???

WDH

Viburnum acerifolium.  Caprifoliaceace.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

curdog

Quote from: WDH on September 06, 2020, 08:16:34 PM
Viburnum acerifolium.  Caprifoliaceace.
Yep, it's maple leaf viburnum. It's a small shrub and at first glance it looks like a maple.  It will have blueish black fruit. 
Virginia Tech Dendrology Fact Sheet

Don P

Aha!
My wife said mountain maple, and I said striped maple, which we thought were the same thing. A quick search showed they are different species. Now I wonder how to tell those two apart, well now how to tell all three apart?

curdog

Quote from: Don P on September 06, 2020, 09:34:39 PM
Aha!
My wife said mountain maple, and I said striped maple, which we thought were the same thing. A quick search showed they are different species. Now I wonder how to tell those two apart, well now how to tell all three apart?
Mountain maple has more coarse serrations on the leaf margins and striped maple has finer serrations. 

firefighter ontheside

Ok all, whats this?  This is in Mid Missouri.  I was thinking some sort of holly.  You can see it has some red berries or fruit, whatever you wanna call it.  I'm sure I've seen it before around here, but this year I have noticed more of it.  It appears to be a small tree or large shrub.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WDH

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

5 foot diameter at the base, nice form.  in my friend Jims yard.  

big leaves and bean pod seeds,  smells good when used in a stove.  smells like a old man smoking a pipe in the distance.   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

caveman

It looks like a catalpa from the picture but I cannot tell if it is northern or southern catalpa (Catalpa bignonioids).  
Caveman

firefighter ontheside

YEp, I would say catalpa as well.  Catalpa has been around here always, but in the last 10 years I have seen a lot more of them.  I feel like climate change has caused them to be more fruitful here.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

yes they were planted back when the government delved into stuff like that.  they were planted in groves so they would grow strait and tall.  this is a yard tree so a different habit.  Jim says people stop and take pictures as it has a "tree of knowledge"  mastic.  I think the intent was for RR ties, and thought to be rot resistant.  spit easy with a maul and smell good in the stove.  the wood looks and feels like cedar.  it is light weight so i was surprised the railroad wanted them.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!