iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How many bf is worth while.

Started by roboto65, June 18, 2014, 07:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roboto65

Ok new guy hope this is the right place. I bought some property 6 acres and have a few trees one Pecan branch when I say branch I mean 12 to 14 inch at it's end circumference  one Box Elder probably 2 and 1/2 foot across maybe 3 and a Sycamore tree.

The Sycamore

This is the box elder

And the Pecan branch

Yeah it put 2 holes in my roof LOL

Also looking to buy a chainsaw but that's the other section of the forum.

Guess my question here is is there enough to I mean to me there is but is there enough wood there to get any boards out of it.
                                                      Thanks Allen

dgdrls

Welcome aboard roboto65,
no PB? attachments.
you need to post photos per spec.

There are lots of folks here who will be able to offer assistance once the pics are visible.

Best
DGDrls

roboto65

Working on pics and the PB Photo Bucket

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, roboto65.

Scroll down to the Behind the Forum board.  There is a photo posting thread there that describes uploading your pictures to your Forestry Forum Gallery.  If you need help, just ask.

Pecan limbs are not worth sawing.  The butt Sycamore log may be OK if there is not any imbedded foreign metal.  The limbs are no good for sawing.  The Box Elder will probably exhibit the red streaks and could be very interesting.  Even then it mostly is a "hobby/woodworker's wood".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

roboto65

Well that's how I would probably use it cutting board island for the wife and other little things. Just hate to see wood get burned away when it could be used for even the smallest thing.

dgdrls

Here is what the Elder may look like.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,65476.msg977852.html#msg977852

Pecan is often referred to as smiley_devil wood, As MM noted branches are not worth it, make them firewood.

The sycamore could make RR ties or some craft wood?

I noticed you mentioned Chain-saw,  in the event you don't have experience with one
make sure you purchase chaps, good glasses or a face shield, chain-saw/ steel toe boots and any other PPE you can think of.
Also, perhaps some instruction for an experienced
user you know.  Chain-saws play for keeps.

Best
DGDrls

roboto65

Yep have experience with a chainsaw so good there and chaps are always a good idea I agree along with eye protection.

Would I like to have a sawmill sure is it practical for me Nope but sure do love looking at dreaming LOL guess I get it from my kin up in Upper land they are all loggers in Iron Mountain

thecfarm

roboto65,welcome to the forum. Too bad about the damage to your roof.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

roboto65

LOL and had not even made the first payment on the house and that happens  ::) Oh well life happens no one was hurt thats all that matters.

Nomad

Unfortunately that Box Elder clearly has metal in it too. :(
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

ohwc

If the property is located in Conroe I am just down the road and can swing by to take a look with you. Iron Mountain? I am assuming U.P. I will be around in mid July if you want to hit me up.

roboto65

Yep U.P and cool I get off the boat July 8th will be home a week.

Thank You Sponsors!