iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dancing with the Devil

Started by WDH, February 28, 2013, 09:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

I cut pecan ( smiley_devil) today, so I am a little beat up and put out.  I cut one board today that even a PhD in geometry could not figure out  :).  I am going to either have to have a serious talk with the genus Carya, or either come to the conclusion that this genus cannot be rehabilitated  :-\.

I have 6 more logs to go and not as much appetite to saw them as I had when I started.  Anybody need any bowed, thick-n-thin, split, green pecan boards for a project?  I will make you a deal.  They are free  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hackberry jake

I have some of the very same boards!
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

thecfarm

The temperature is about 30° here now. I can think of a project real fast.   :D
By the way,did someone mention PIE????
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mikeb1079

Quotetell me kid....have you ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight?

i'm sorry to hear that your dance turned so sour wdh.   :'(  however i believe i read that you're retired, live in georgia (where the temps are in the 70s?, and have a 200 acre woodlot.  now i don't feel so sorry for you anymore.   :D :) :laugh:
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

WDH

Quote from: mikeb1079 on February 28, 2013, 10:19:52 PM
:'(  however i believe i read that you're retired, live in georgia (where the temps are in the 70s?, and have a 200 acre woodlot.  now i don't feel so sorry for you anymore.   :D :) :laugh:

I guess that if you put it like that, then things are not too bad at all.  What is a little pecan misery in the big scheme of things  ??? :D.

Ray, maybe we need to stick to the nuts  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mikeb1079

:D :D :D

pecan is just there to remind you of how nice it is to saw anything else.   :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

WDH

The problem is that I also have three hackberry logs to saw, too  :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

hackberry jake

Quote from: WDH on February 28, 2013, 10:37:27 PM
The problem is that I also have three hackberry logs to saw, too  :)
Oh, I see how it is, discriminating against the ole hackberry, and I thought I was welcome here  :(

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

Jake,

You have a tendency to twist and warp.  This can be overlooked  :D.

Po-Jo

so is there any hope for pecan wood? other than the smoker? I had always thought there must be something you can use/ build with that wood, even if its a barn / chicken coup , tho I was hoping more for flooring , interior wall, heck even some type of furniture,

5quarter

WDH...cut your 3 hackberrys, stack em up and pile those pecans on top to keep everything in order.  ;) :D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

bama20a

Quote from: Po-Jo on March 01, 2013, 08:06:36 AM
so is there any hope for pecan wood? other than the smoker? I had always thought there must be something you can use/ build with that wood, even if its a barn / chicken coup , tho I was hoping more for flooring , interior wall, heck even some type of furniture,
Yep,There is if you know how to work with it,Look here.https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,62883.0.html
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

ND rancher

WDH,  I'm wondering, if you deliver I would take it of your hands.(just saying) I would like to meet this  smiley_devil wood you talk about. Remember I'm new and (like a teenager) nothing is impossible!     Keith
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

CalebL

Why do you guys have such a problem with pecan?  Put a 10 degree blade on and crank your tensioner as far as it will go and have at it.  I also found a diesel/bar oil lube works really well. 

2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: WDH on February 28, 2013, 09:59:36 PM
I cut pecan ( smiley_devil) today, so I am a little beat up and put out.  I cut one board today that even a PhD in geometry could not figure out  :).  I am going to either have to have a serious talk with the genus Carya, or either come to the conclusion that this genus cannot be rehabilitated  :-\.

I have 6 more logs to go and not as much appetite to saw them as I had when I started.  Anybody need any bowed, thick-n-thin, split, green pecan boards for a project?  I will make you a deal.  They are free  :D.

Just keep flippin that log till they don't curl no mo.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WH_Conley

Do what I do with Hickory. Make 4 cuts, call it a cross tie and cut the slabs into firewood.

If anybody wants anything else out of Hickory, the price goes up enough to cover the nerve pills. ;D
Bill

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: CalebL on March 01, 2013, 09:45:21 AM
Why do you guys have such a problem with pecan?  Put a 10 degree blade on and crank your tensioner as far as it will go and have at it.  I also found a diesel/bar oil lube works really well.

Or a 9, or maybe a 7. I don't get what all the hubub is about. Can't imagine the slabs curl up more than 6 or 8 inches during the cut. Big deal. Once you get the tension out, should be no problemo. Try some big, curvy lateral branches on a mesquite or a cottonwood if you want to see some drama.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

OneWithWood

Danny, this is but a test from the wood god.

Your task, or trial if you prefer, is to accept the shenanigans of those logs and make something beautiful and useful out of them.

It can be done and you are just the man to do it  :D

I think those little sticks used to impart flavor to cooked meats are a true thing of beauty!  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

dgdrls

For us northerners who only saw Pecan's cousin the Hickory as I understand,
is this true?

"Clever as the Devil and twice as pretty."

― Holly Black

anyone care to share some Pecan pics?

DGDrls

hackberry jake

CalebL

hahahah........Nice.  I have some pics of some 24" wide pecan slabs though......to be continued........
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

SwampDonkey

I had some 2" yellow birch sawed some time ago, just part of a whack that I wanted random thickness and width from some logs. There was 2 or 3 of those that twisted like a spiral staircase. I never looked close at them to see what was going on with the grain. But they came from nice logs. At least they was nice when I hauled them in to mill. Never know sometimes. Maybe I got traded. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Not a blade or a lube issue, but a tension in the log issue.  Did not matter if you flipped the log after each and every cut.  Nothing you can do about some logs except cut the lumber thick like was mentioned.  Maybe the other logs will behave better  :).

Magicman

I have seen smaller Pecan logs that could/would not be sawed.  My experience has been that the larger the log is, better it behaves.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!