iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Regulations

Started by CStroupe, March 27, 2015, 09:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CStroupe

Hello all, I am looking to retire from the military and purchase a bandsaw mill to mill the wood for my new home and possibly start a portable sawing service. I have been trying to do some research and find out the sawmill regulations for Tennessee and Mississippi. One of those states is where I plan to live when I retire. Now getting to the point of my post. I was wondering if any of you TN and MS sawyers might have some information on regulations regarding: Building houses with lumber milled with a personal mill, and regulations pertaining to running a portable sawmill business. Licenses, permits, paperwork, etc.

I would appreciate any information and I am sure that if I cant find the answers on here with you professionals then I am not going to find it. Thanks.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, CStroupe, and congratulations on your upcoming retirement.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sealark37

You will find that the regs vary according to the state, county, and city or town.  Many counties follow some building code that requires grade-marked lumber for residential construction.  Some do not.  Unless you incorporate your sawing business, and live in a city, you are likely not required to have a business license.  There are advantages to incorporation, but you need to speak to a CPA about your situation.  The bottom line is that you need to decide where you wish to live.  Regards, Clark

taylorsmissbeehaven

I have a fishing cabin in East TN. When I bought the property 15 years ago the county did not issue building permits. Build what you want the way you want to. Things are beginning to change but it still varies by county. Good luck and welcome to the FF. Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

submarinesailor

I think you should count on having to get a septic and electrical before you "move in".

I believe that Septic Inspections have become a Federal requirement.  I know in my county a "septic inspection" is required for composting toilets.  The electrical is you are not doing something that will endanger the linemen working on the system.

Bruce

Larry

You may get conflicting and misleading information about the same exact area.  For example my state, Arkansas, has adopted the UBC but left enforcement up to the counties.  None of the counties (that I know of) have spent a penny on code enforcement, giving the impression we do not have building codes.

If one would call my county courthouse about codes the official answer would be we are under the UBC.  Ask any builder and you would be told no building codes in the county.

Sanitation and plumbing is another story.  The Clean Water Act has forced the counties to do something.  Can't get rural water without an inspected septic system.  This also triggers a plumbing inspection.

The county where I used to live in Missouri required a $25 building permit to cover inspections.  The real reason was to fleece the builder and make sure to send out the property assessor come tax time.  They never performed one inspection as they didn't have any inspectors.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

beenthere

As for TN, go to the recent posts and activity of member TnAndy who has been working legislation through regards building codes and graded lumber requirements.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,81826.msg1255727.html#msg1255727
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

First, Welcome to the Forestry Forum CStroupe, and Thank You for your service to our Country.  I was on vacation and traveling when you joined the FF last year. 

You will find no "red tape" regarding a portable sawmill business in MS, at least I have not.  My business is an LLC. 

Regarding framing lumber, that depends upon the town/city/county.  Some have restrictions to get a building permit and some do not.  For example, Brandon in Rankin Co. is about impossible.  Potential home builders first need to have the architectural drawings stating #2 and/or rough sawn lumber.  Then those drawings have to be signed off on by the builder, lending institution, and home insurance company.  Those plus any necessary building permits if required.

There is no requirement that I have seen regarding non-framing lumber such as wall and ceiling paneling. 

Read my post on the Whatcha Sawing thread.  That is all wall and ceiling paneling.

Regarding a sawmill, since you stated that you intend to start a "portable sawing service", my suggestion is a Wood-Mizer SuperHydraulic.  Nothing less.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

CS,

Sealark's comment about checking with a CPA is good advice. On earlier threads I saw comments about the protection of LLCs providing some protection from lawsuits but they also mentioned if you are the operator the gold diggers of the world can still go after you personally for any real or perceived injury or damage. Keep that in mind and insure yourself appropriately if you are cutting for others.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

CStroupe

Thank you all for the advice. I knew I could get some answers on here. As my time in the military gets closer to ending I am sure I will have more questions. Thanks again.

Thank You Sponsors!