iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Official 2019 16th annual PiGROAST RSVP topic.

Started by Jeff, June 03, 2019, 03:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixacresand

Nancy and I will start riding South toward Harrison in a couple of days.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Crusarius

I took friday off, so friday will be my travel day. If I go through canada Google says 7.5 hours. otherwise through US is 9 hours.

So depending on when I leave friday I may make it in time to stop by. Hoping to be on the road by 10:00 So that will get me there around 6. This also depends on if I find a really good place to eat a good lunch.

Google Maps

Jeff

From everything I have ever experienced, going through Canada is not a time saver.  Leave early and get here for supper!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Crusarius

Last time I went to silver lake sand dunes the border crossing into michigan was actually really smooth and the guy I dealt with was nice. Hopefully I will have the same experience this time. I can't imagine I would lose 2 hours in canada.

Besides. if I stay in the US its I-90 all the way. So I would be going through chicago and paying tolls all the way.

I would rather not do either.

What time is supper? I can't say no to good food :)

Jeff

Corley5

If you're coming from NY and go through Chicago to get to Harrison, Mi you're taking the long way. ;) ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

Quote from: Corley5 on July 30, 2019, 09:16:52 AM
If you're coming from NY and go through Chicago to get to Harrison, Mi you're taking the long way. ;) ;D :)
:D   Yea, I missed that.

Crusarius

hehe. Why did I think I was going through chicago? I think I was thinking cleveland. Either way. be nice to avoid 90. I really hate driving that road.

doc henderson

Made it safe and sound.  Got to meet Tammy and her mom.  Georgia loves their home.  nice and rustic.  William got to play with the "bear" dog Harley!  Monique was able to establish that she does not eat polish sausage.  she is a picky eater an always has some anxiety that she will offend someone not eating the food.  Our trip was eventful and going home we will avoid towns with the word rapids in the name.  In Grand Rapids our phone tried to get us to  leave the highway and go onto Ann street but then back on 131 north.  ignored cause that made no sense.  Turns out there was a 6 car pileup under an over pass, and we came up on miles of stopped cars at 70 MPH.  Slid tires to get stopped and woke the whole family.  In big rapids I left my wife to get fuel (I had to go potty) and when I came out a guy had more fuel points than he could use, so we got 20 dollars in free fuel.  We think it may have been the shorts she was traveling in!!!  :) Then when I tried to use my card to top off the tank, we had trouble and called the attendant.  finally got it to work and my family was inside.  We are used to using the card and then going.  so we got 15 miles north when I recalled that they may have turned it on for us to pay inside.  My wife said she did not pay inside.  looked up the bill and had 2 charges for 1 dollar.  called the station and the lady was nice but was just ding the paperwork on stolen gas!  Her system would not let her punch in the number.  so we lost another 30 minutes going back to pay for the fuel!  That which does not kill us makes us stronger!  As I started, we made it safe and sound and looking forward to meeting everyone and seeing a few folks again 8).  everyone travel safe!!!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

hacknchop

This weekend is a long weekend in Ontario ,first weekend in August civic holiday.
Often wrong never indoubt

Crusarius

uh oh. does that mean long time at border crossings?

moosehunter

Crusarius, avoid the border. The last PR I attended I lost two hours just on the buffalo crossing. Michigan was better but my trip was 11 hours both ways. I'll stay in the states next time. Or travel at night. The crossings are always faster at night, at least it seams that way.

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Crusarius

Thanks Mh thats good thinking. I will probably risk it on the way out. We will see what happens on the way back. I drive across 90 way to many times I want something different.

moosehunter

"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Jeff

Is this the last pigroast?  Who knows.  Get off the fence and come!! There is still plenty of time.

Crusarius

Boat costs to much. I will get a helicopter instead :)

Jeff

DR Buck

Quote from: moosehunter on July 30, 2019, 02:28:10 PM
Crusarius, avoid the border. The last PR I attended I lost two hours just on the buffalo crossing. Michigan was better but my trip was 11 hours both ways. I'll stay in the states next time. Or travel at night. The crossings are always faster at night, at least it seams that way.

mh
I`m worried about the West Virginia border.     :D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Sixacresand

You can tell that we are getting close to the Pig Roast.  This was painted on the outside wall at a motel in Marquette, Mi.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Jeff

I'm  so happy, the porta potties come tomorrow and for two whole days I'm exclusive!

Jeff

Some great door prizes have been arriving!

RichTired

Jeff I am going to make it to this thing called a PigRoast!
8)
I am not sure of the count, I believe I will be number 65.

I am looking forward meeting everyone and seeing if I can remember names of those I met at Jake's Sawing Project.

Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

Crusarius

Quote from: DR_Buck on July 30, 2019, 05:00:18 PMI`m worried about the West Virginia border.    

are you bringing contraband items such as grits? I would be concerned to :)

Sixacresand

Quote from: Crusarius on July 31, 2019, 07:05:45 AM
Quote from: DR_Buck on July 30, 2019, 05:00:18 PMI`m worried about the West Virginia border.    

are you bringing contraband items such as grits? I would be concerned to :)
We stopped at several grits free restaurants since we left home.  That's ok.  I can eat taters too.   However, Illinois and Wisconsin ought to be the grits capital of the world with fields and fields of  lush corn.  JMO

Jeff

The Forestry Forum pigroast has been the scene of a large cooking of grits. We've even grilled gator once.. Onsite awesome Philippine spring rolls one time, a friday night catfish fry another. Last year was boiled peanuts.  We aint scared a no food here!

Thank You Sponsors!