iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skidding distance

Started by jim king, August 23, 2010, 09:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan snider

Where there is so much water I cant help but think of a canal or flume, that is if the terrain would support it.  Stan

pasbuild

What size load will these units haul both volume and weight, also what is there rate of travel? just curious how much you will get out to the river with one operator and two gal. of fuel per day.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

SwampDonkey

Seems to me, your back at square one. With the same machines you were using back some time ago with the same question. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jim king

QuoteSeems to me, your back at square one. With the same machines you were using back some time ago with the same question.

I think you are right.

The little ones will bring out an average of 30 - 6" x 8" by 50" cants and the big one over 50.  They are not fast but at 4 miles they can make up to 5 round trips a day in 10 hours.  The good thing is that the road is reusable it seems forever.

The bad thing is that the road has to be cleaned well or the rubber tracks can be damaged by pointed small stumps.  Especially if you turn on top of one.  They can be repaired but it takes a day each time they break.

I forgot to mention earlier that the majority of species we work with don´t  float.

Stan snider

"I forgot to mention earlier that the majority of species we work with don´t  float."

:(That seems to sink my ideas then :(

Okrafarmer

Any way to pull a small trailer and, maybe, double your capacity per machine?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

jim king

The machines are about at capacity and anything with wheels is a problem.

pasbuild

I would think that an ATV set up with a trailer would have no problem on the road pictured, even the wet area if the bottom is solid would be no problem and you could cut your run time in half.  I would think that 10 to 35 mph would be a safe speed depending on road conditions. How long would it take to pay down your investment with an additional 150 cants per day?

Ianab

Don't bet on it.

That sort of wet soil tends to turn into "Tarzan" type quicksand if it's disturbed. The little rubber tracked crawlers have such a low ground pressure they can stealth over it without churning it up. Even an ATV, especially with a load, would churn it into sludge. I also suspect there is no hard base underneath.

I've had to haul ATVs, tractors, trucks and even bulldozers out of that sort of stuff.  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ron Wenrich

What did you use to make the road?  All hand work?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Mooseherder

This is my Brother's machine.  It'll go where ever you want it to. ;D
And it's yeller. ;)

Stan snider

I never knew such a machine existed. Does it have power steering? Stan

jim king

What did you use to make the road?  All hand work? 
Shovels, picks, axes, chainsaws and wheelbarrows.

QuoteThat sort of wet soil tends to turn into "Tarzan" type quicksand if it's disturbed. The little rubber tracked crawlers have such a low ground pressure they can stealth over it without churning it up. Even an ATV, especially with a load, would churn it into sludge. I also suspect there is no hard base underneath.

You got it exactly, my dad called it loon s--t.  no bottom.

QuoteThis is my Brother's machine.  It'll go where ever you want it to.
That looks to be an expensive big boys toy.  Nice, are the tracks metal ?  Maybe metal tracks could be made for the little tracked ,machines to replace the rubber tracks.

Mooseherder

Yes, the tracks are rubber.
It's just a 4 wheeler with tracks.  Just a simple bolt on.
I think the tracks were around 3 grand new for the set.
Member Sprucebunny has a set on her machine also.

pasbuild

As a kid I used to go to camp with my uncle who has 160 acres in the largest swamp in Michigan, the Cyr swamp is every bit as difficult as any other swamp and to get to camp he and his father made a swamp buggy out of an old model A pickup truck. They replaced the front end with a straight axle, added several bogie wheels on each side and made tracks for it. It was the only thing that was going to get you in there in the warm months, maybe you need to invent/ fabricate your ideal machine.

treefarmer87

i moved into a new spot today. the drag is longer than what i like, it is about 500-800 yrds from my loader. the road is too narrow to take the loader or truck down so i have to leave it up in the field, and drag up from the swamp
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Thank You Sponsors!