Sponsors:

What to do with dead standing oaks

Started by Greyhound, June 11, 2016, 04:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greyhound

Quote from: gspren on June 16, 2016, 09:09:38 PM
Quote from: Blackgreyhounds on June 16, 2016, 12:02:14 PM
Near Palmyra, 17078
That's 50-60 miles from me, if you have 2-3 cord that won't make lumber I might be interested for fire wood. I can haul about 20' lengths.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.  I think I need to get a few of them on the ground and see what I have here.

Greyhound

Quote from: Greyhound on June 16, 2016, 09:19:39 PM
Quote from: gspren on June 16, 2016, 09:09:38 PM
Quote from: Blackgreyhounds on June 16, 2016, 12:02:14 PM
Near Palmyra, 17078
That's 50-60 miles from me, if you have 2-3 cord that won't make lumber I might be interested for fire wood. I can haul about 20' lengths.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.  I think I need to get a few of them on the ground and see what I have here.
Apparently I am both "Greyhound" and "Blackgreyhounds" on here.  If any of the the mods want to help me consolidate, that would be fine.

tacks Y

I cut some dead standing red oak, had it sawn. It was wormy, made nice lumber and cabinets. 

Greyhound

Quote from: tacks Y on June 16, 2016, 09:40:45 PM
I cut some dead standing red oak, had it sawn. It was wormy, made nice lumber and cabinets.
Thanks. I'll try to let you all know once I can get some on the ground.

wolf nemeth

Not to rain on anybody's parade, but  does  the term 'widowmaker' not  conjure up  some image of dead limbs falling on  an unsuspecting logger?
  A  tree-cutting friend of mine got carried out of the woods a few years back; he never knew what snapped his neck.....
  A  tree that's been dead a couple of  years (or more), especially one  that has patches of bark sloughing off, need to  be carefully  studied before you  put a chainsaw into it.
If you  don't know where you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere else!

treeslayer2003

Quote from: wolf nemeth on June 16, 2016, 10:23:15 PM
Not to rain on anybody's parade, but  does  the term 'widowmaker' not  conjure up  some image of dead limbs falling on  an unsuspecting logger?
  A  tree-cutting friend of mine got carried out of the woods a few years back; he never knew what snapped his neck.....
  A  tree that's been dead a couple of  years (or more), especially one  that has patches of bark sloughing off, need to  be carefully  studied before you  put a chainsaw into it.
good point. i do it every day and even i don't like falling dead timber. look up folks.

Blackgreyhounds

Quote from: wolf nemeth on June 16, 2016, 10:23:15 PM
Yeah, I've been considering hiring a logger to drop them for me.  Safer and more efficient.  Anybody know anyone reputable around 17078?

Thank You Sponsors!