iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

FEL Grapples

Started by Tin Horse, January 22, 2019, 05:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tin Horse

I'm about to pull the trigger on a FEL log grapple. I've got a 3rd function kit on the way from Michigan for my Kioti RX 7320.
I've been reading plenty of past posts which helps. Been using 48" forks OK but getting to risky in the winter for loading the processor and oversize logs for the mill. Also had a friend here with his LT40 (modified to cut 52" logs). We did some 36" maple slabs 3" thick x 9'. Too heavy to lift by hand and too slippery on the forks.
I found a good deal on a new Farma 1000. Just wondering if anyone else has one and thoughts.
Mike.
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

wiam

Just bought a thumb for my excavator from here Titan 29? Log Grapple Attachment for Skid Steers
Very good price. Seems heavy duty. Shipping is included in price.

GRANITEstateMP

mine is a FrostBite. Had pretty good luck with it, and it was pretty reasonable price too (less than $1500)

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Kwill

Cleaned this mess up with my homemade grapple i built.

handiest tool ive ever built
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Andries

A good option for you are the add on thumb attachment for your forks.
Many grapples aren't so good for handling lumber or pallets, which just doesn't make sense around the sawmill.
Look for the thumb that's made for logs and brush with a bit of curve to them.
It's cost effective, and when you need forks, you just raise the thumb to clear the back face of the frame.
Look at Kwill's photos . . . look like forks with a thumb, no?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Kwill

Quote from: Andries on January 22, 2019, 08:01:29 PM
A good option for you are the add on thumb attachment for your forks.
Many grapples aren't so good for handling lumber or pallets, which just doesn't make sense around the sawmill.
Look for the thumb that's made for logs and brush with a bit of curve to them.
It's cost effective, and when you need forks, you just raise the thumb to clear the back face of the frame.
Look at Kwill's photos . . . look like forks with a thumb, no?
Those are rippers from my box blade. Never used them so i built a grapple with them
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Bruno of NH

I have a frost bite
Works great
Some companies make ones with a bigger opening than the frost bite
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Tin Horse

Thanks to everyone for the additional info. I'm currently back to researching. My backhoe has 60" forks so I always have a loader for the mill. The Kioti will get the grapple. For where I am Quebec is the place to go. 

mitchstockdale

Quote from: Tin Horse on January 23, 2019, 11:32:22 AM
Thanks to everyone for the additional info. I'm currently back to researching. My backhoe has 60" forks so I always have a loader for the mill. The Kioti will get the grapple. For where I am Quebec is the place to go.
I am on a search for a grapple as well and have been looking at HLA who are out of Ontario.  Are you looking for an all-purpose grapple to do a little bit of everything? 

Tin Horse

Quote from: mitchstockdale on January 23, 2019, 12:52:07 PM
Quote from: Tin Horse on January 23, 2019, 11:32:22 AM
I am on a search for a grapple as well and have been looking at HLA who are out of Ontario.  Are you looking for an all-purpose grapple to do a little bit of everything?
Was speaking to HLA yesterday and they do have an assortment of brush/debris grapples. I'd prefer one specific for log handling. I like the ability to pick and sort. I have a backhoe with thumb for other work. Currently thinking about a frostbite out of Quebec. Within driving distance.

Timbercreekfarm

I have a fransgard 1400, basically the same as a frostbite, it is absolutely awesome for logs, ok for brush.

Thank You Sponsors!