iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Manjisann's Chainsaw Milling Adventures

Started by ManjiSann, October 31, 2019, 09:14:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManjiSann

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on November 09, 2019, 08:22:20 AM
Quote from: ManjiSann on November 09, 2019, 07:08:06 AM
I am thinking of trying to get one of those Garmin (I think that's who makes them) pinpointing metal detectors to try and find metal in a log before I mill it... would be nice to not use the chain as the metal detector  :(  :o
From what I have learned here on the FF, you want to stay away from the pinpoint as a first detector, they are too focused. You have to go over every inch of the log, all around. You want something more broad spectrum first to locate metal, then if you want, work on it with a finer point. You can search the subject here on the FF, there is a good discussion somewhere, but at the time I read it, that was not an urgent consideration. Now that I have found barbed wire (the hard way) I am re-thinking.
I will do a search as you say, thanks for pointing it out :)

I ordered a Dr.Meter MD912 off eBay, had a $10 coupon so it only cost me $7 :)  Should be here in a couple weeks. 

Brandon
Poulan Pro 5020AV, Husky 390XP

ManjiSann

Quote from: Nebraska on November 09, 2019, 08:40:41 AM
Brandon  I purchased a cheapie used  HF metal detector from ebay.  It works fine,  mostly it's to check the utility poles I've sawn and any town logs I saw.  I have found some stuff I didn't see with it so it paid for itself in two uses.  Yes a basic moisture detector is on my list too to see where I'm at with some bench slabs.  The rest of what I've sawn is siding and structural stuff the will air dry for two years or so til I get to those projects.

That tree service  deal  might surprise you at how much wood you'll be blessed with.   You'll be looking for an empty spot on the outside of town before too long.
I looked at HF and their basic detector is priced such that it'd only have to save two chains to pay for itself. I think I'll be saving my pennies and waiting for a coupon and will have to pick one up.  I don't expect I'll be sawing utility poles but since so far all my logs have been yard logs I think it'd be a good investment :)
No word back from the tree service, I may try and call them one more time after work just to see. I don't have the money for any land anywhere so I hope it stays within what I can handle, but I suppose an excess of logs isn't such a bad problem to have :D
Brandon 

ManjiSann

Quote from: lxskllr on November 09, 2019, 08:58:59 AM
For sealing the ends, you might want to consider the dregs of scented candles. The cheapies usually don't burn fully, so you can use the remainder as a sealer. Make the wife happy too. 
Oddly enough my wife doesn't do scented candles so I have to buy the wax. It's really not very expensive IMO.

Brandon 

ManjiSann

Quote from: doc henderson on November 09, 2019, 09:03:01 AM
the big service always tries to give the wood away, and my experience when I have spoke with them is that they hear it all the time, and then people do not show up.  so they are prob. not as excited as you are.  I have several small one man tree guys, and it is like Christmas when they text a pic.  One guy will drop them off if he has the equipment. or I will pick it up.  that is where I got the locust to make my log cradle to cut firewood, and the one that I found concrete down the center.
Good perspective to keep in mind when dealing with the tree guys, thanks Doc :)  It'd be pretty awesome to get in good enough with one or two such that they'd text me a "interested in this one?" pic and message, that would be like Christmas!  8)  I figure it'll take some time to cultivate contacts... I'd like to say I'm in no hurry but y'all know I'd be lying, I'm chomping at the bit!  ;D ;D  But I'm trying to have patience and as OG said, just see what comes my way and enjoy the ride.
Brandon 

Ljohnsaw

ManjiSann,
If you are planning (hoping) to get some bigger logs, you are going to need a way to move them.  You are gonna need a log arch of some sort.  In keeping with your free/scrap mantra, here is something I made (and remade) to move my timbers and lumber but was originally built to move some redwood logs.

A simple log arch...
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

ManjiSann

Quote from: ljohnsaw on November 09, 2019, 12:01:05 PM
ManjiSann,
If you are planning (hoping) to get some bigger logs, you are going to need a way to move them.  You are gonna need a log arch of some sort.  In keeping with your free/scrap mantra, here is something I made (and remade) to move my timbers and lumber but was originally built to move some redwood logs.

A simple log arch...
@ljohnsaw That's friggen amazing! How much weight have you had on it?  Love the simplicity of the design and the adaptability.
Brandon 

Ljohnsaw

I've loaded way too much on it! :D The old, little one would carry a 8x12x14' pine post no problem as long as the tires were aired up.  My new one I have only used it to carry wood from my SkyTrak to my wood piles inside my basement.  I've loaded up three or four 2x10x16' green pine boards.  Quite heavy!  Its a little tippy - need to make it wider.

To use it to move logs, you drive over your log, lift the handle up until the lower crossbar hits the log.  Strap it with ratchet straps or some chain.  Pull the handle back down and haul it away.  You can put a ratchet strap around the handle end and the log to keep it stable and easy to move.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

ManjiSann

I talked to the tree service fellow and gave him my contact info. He said he'd let me know if he's taking a tree down on my day off and I can come by and they'll help load it in my truck... I need a bigger truck  ;D He said he'd taken down a nice 3' DBH burr oak last week... I shed a couple tears over that one.

Since fortune favors the prepared (that's the saying right  ;)) I finally figured out what I'd do with this large pallet I never got around to cutting up

I layed an old tarp on the ground as a moisture barrier and some keystones I had lying around and leveled it all as best I could

Put the pallet on

Now I have somewhere to put the lumber I cut if/when I get logs from the sources I'm hoping to cultivate  ;D  I figure when I have the logs is probably not the best time to be trying to figure out where to put stuff as I'll want to be milling so I'm trying to think ahead a bit. As I've mentioned, I'd love to build a shed eventually but right now this is more my budget and speed  :) :) I'll keep an eye out for something I can use as a roof/cover, hopefully some corrugated tin roofing will find its way into my truck bed  :)

I thought I was done for the day, but ljohnsaw's log arch got me thinking and I started surfing the local ads for free stuff hoping to find some wheels or something for a log arch. So far nothing on that front but I did find...

A FREE ALUMINUM LADDER!!!!  Well most of it. 

One section is busted, hence why it was free. Both sections look pretty straight though so I'm planning to use this as the guide for my chainsaw mill. Now I won't have to mess with 2x4's as much. The large section I believe is 12' the broken section is a little less than half that so I figure between the two I should be set for anything I expect I'll handle  8) 8)

All in all a good day!

Hope everyone has a safe and blessed weekend!

Brandon 

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: ManjiSann on November 09, 2019, 11:54:02 PMA FREE ALUMINUM LADDER!!!!

SCORE!  I count 16 rungs on the big section in the picture so it is at least a 16' ladder (32' designation).
John Sawicky

doc henderson

get some plastic and watch the timbergreen farms simple cycle solar kiln video.  If you cannot do the former...you still have the ladder!!! 8) 8) 8) :) :) :) what too early?
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

ManjiSann

Quote from: ljohnsaw on November 10, 2019, 12:02:37 AM
Quote from: ManjiSann on November 09, 2019, 11:54:02 PMA FREE ALUMINUM LADDER!!!!

SCORE!  I count 16 rungs on the big section in the picture so it is at least a 16' ladder (32' designation).
I think the sticker on the side said 24' ladder but I'll check. Whatever the length it was a great deal for the price  8) 8)
Brandon 

ManjiSann

Quote from: doc henderson on November 10, 2019, 08:44:31 AM
get some plastic and watch the timbergreen farms simple cycle solar kiln video.  If you cannot do the former...you still have the ladder!!! 8) 8) 8) :) :) :) what too early?
Only have a few minutes this morning so I quickly checked out their website, looks like a great idea and should be in my shoestring budget  8) 8) Thanks for pointing me in that direction!
Maybe my brain isn't up to speed yet... too early for what?  :-[
Brandon 

ManjiSann

@ljohnsaw good call! You are right, it was a 32' ladder, so 16' sections. I'm impressed!

On a side note, why is everything rated for 250lbs? Most people I know are over that weight limit (including me  :'( ). 

Brandon

Nebraska

You''ve had a pretty good two days, dont fret that oak tree more will show up. I will say that a 36 in Burr Oak will be a challenge to do anything  with, (very heavy) i would quarter or mill it in place, it before you tried to move it.  I would need to borrow the neighbor's  wheel loader and forks as it is way to much for my tractors  to move. 
Nice haul on the ladder section if it's pretty straight you are set.
I'm on call this weekend in the office waiting for someone  to show up from 40 miles away so catching up on your  adventures  made this time pass much better. :)

doc henderson

did you get a back story on the ladder sheared in half?  most ratings can be pushed a bit, but I would not double it!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

ManjiSann

Quote from: Nebraska on November 10, 2019, 10:16:26 AM
You''ve had a pretty good two days, dont fret that oak tree more will show up. I will say that a 36 in Burr Oak will be a challenge to do anything  with, (very heavy) i would quarter or mill it in place, it before you tried to move it.  I would need to borrow the neighbor's  wheel loader and forks as it is way to much for my tractors  to move.
Nice haul on the ladder section if it's pretty straight you are set.
I'm on call this weekend in the office waiting for someone  to show up from 40 miles away so catching up on your  adventures  made this time pass much better. :)
I'm not really that broke up about the oak, just sad to think it went to firewood. You're right though, there's no way I'd have been able to move it with my little S-10 even if the tree service was able to lift it in for me... if was more than 4 feet long it'd likely have folded my poor truck into a taco given the weight.
Both sections of the ladder are pretty straight so as you say, I think I'm pretty set :) Now to figure out where to store it  :D
Glad I could entertain  8)
Brandon

ManjiSann

Quote from: doc henderson on November 10, 2019, 10:25:51 AM
did you get a back story on the ladder sheared in half?  most ratings can be pushed a bit, but I would not double it!
Fellow said it was in the house when he bought it. Would be interesting to know how it was broke as both sections are pretty straight. Oh well, one more of those mysteries I'll likely never know the answer to  ???
I don't plan to use it as a ladder, just commenting on the weight limits of things  ;D
On a totally different note, spoke with my neighbor that runs a construction crew and let him know I'm interested in any tree trunks they take out. He's a good neighbor so I'm sure if he remembers he'll hit me up. 
Fingers are crossed I get a text from the tree guy on Wednesday for a log or two  :)
Brandon 

JoshNZ

You'll have to weld the ladder sections together along a straight edge surely? They're not much good to you in two sections, for logs over 16" at least. Unless you fancy carrying a string line etc and some clever mounts

ManjiSann

Quote from: JoshNZ on November 10, 2019, 04:21:11 PM
You'll have to weld the ladder sections together along a straight edge surely? They're not much good to you in two sections, for logs over 16" at least. Unless you fancy carrying a string line etc and some clever mounts
I don't expect to be handling logs much over 10' in length as I don't have the equipment to handle any heavy weight (10' is very optimistic in reality but I'm trying to not limit my thinking  :) )
Brandon 

ManjiSann

Been mulling over what @Old Greenhorn said about rustic furniture and Adirondack chairs came to mind, getting a bit excited about the idea. 

What other styles of building would be considered rustic and would allow for the movement of air dried wood? Not sure what search terms to use, "Rustic" seems to mean different things to different people. I saw some "Farm" style stuff that looked interesting but if I search for that exactly then you end up with all sorts of stuff. I'm fine continuing to search on my own but figured I'd ask and see what everyone else has seen and done  :)

I'm not ruling out the kiln @doc henderson posted about, I'm thinking I'll likely do that as well but I am liking the idea of doing something rustic for some patio furniture  :)  One thing the wife and I are really hoping to build in our back yard is an awning and extended porch area and I think some Adirondack chairs and/or other rustic style furniture would be a lot of fun to build  8)  

Brandon 

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: ManjiSann on November 10, 2019, 09:07:21 PM
Been mulling over what @Old Greenhorn said about rustic furniture and Adirondack chairs came to mind, getting a bit excited about the idea.

What other styles of building would be considered rustic and would allow for the movement of air dried wood? Not sure what search terms to use, "Rustic" seems to mean different things to different people.
Go back to my earlier reply (55, I think) and look at the things those guy are building. Simple, functional, yet elegant stuff. Don't overthink. Bench with 4 legs, start with that. After that the path will reveal itself.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

search, rustic, log furniture, live edge.  select images and if you see something you like, click it and it will head you down that road. the plastic kiln just shows you a way to keep stuff going this winter.  until you have a shed or a kiln.

miro

I have been following this thread with great interest. It follows a very similar trajectory that I had. I got into CSM after seeing it in Fine Woodworking about 40 years ago.

Ultimately I designed and built most of my own furniture in colonial American style ( 1760-ish)- lots of carving -mainly walnut and black cherry etc, 
I ended up also forging my own carving chisels because I couldn't afford the store bought ones.

As for drying - outdoor gets you down to about 15% and then indoors to get it to 6-8%  - ready to work. I did my own re-sawing on an old Rockwell bandsaw.

I coated my ends with several coats of the cheapest latex paint I had - colours indicated when I sawed the trees. I've sawn maple, black cherry, walnut, birch, basswood, but not much softwood - not really worth  the effort.

I learned to carefully sharpen - got good at it.

Eventually had too much wood in storage so I stopped milling.
My latest CSM adventure was 2 years ago -  walnut tree that I had planted over 40 years ago - sad to do it, but it started to be a hazard. But I DID get the lumber out of it.
Maybe I make my own coffin out of it - delicately and generously carved :-} .
miro

thecfarm

@miro went to your gallery to see if you had pictures of some of the furniture you made. :(  I did see lumber and a CSM.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ManjiSann

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on November 10, 2019, 09:39:31 PM
Quote from: ManjiSann on November 10, 2019, 09:07:21 PM
Been mulling over what @Old Greenhorn said about rustic furniture and Adirondack chairs came to mind, getting a bit excited about the idea.

What other styles of building would be considered rustic and would allow for the movement of air dried wood? Not sure what search terms to use, "Rustic" seems to mean different things to different people.
Go back to my earlier reply (55, I think) and look at the things those guy are building. Simple, functional, yet elegant stuff. Don't overthink. Bench with 4 legs, start with that. After that the path will reveal itself.
OG, thanks, I'll look at it more closely. I remember the benches you and WV Sawmiller were posting about, don't recall seeing anything else but I must not have read enough (or my memory is even worse than I thought :(.)  I often want to jump right to all the super amazing advanced stuff, and I've pulled it off once or twice in my life but more often than not I lack the skills and knowledge so things don't go quite how I envisioned and I get frustrated or discouraged. So I will endeavor to take your advice and start with something simple like the log bench or similar. As you say, simple can still be elegant and I'm usually more of a function over form sort of person :)
"Don't overthink"  HAHAHA that'll be the real challenge for me now won't it  ;)  I think that will end up on my tombstone "He lived so long because he overthought his ending" or something of the like  :D :D
Brandon  

Thank You Sponsors!