iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Warm weather has my green thumb itching.

Started by Don K, February 28, 2011, 05:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Jim, can't you plant bulbs? I think it would be complicated from seed. I don't think shading would work. It has to be darkness, like in some kind of lidded container. Then cold stratified after the daylight is gradually reduced over time.  Not frozen, but refrigerated for a few weeks and then plant the sets.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Paul_H

I said shaded because I didn't think darked was a word ::)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Tom

There are a lot of onions grown here in Florida.  Perhaps you  just need to find the right kind of onion.   I know that we are farther from the equator than you are, but it looks like something would work. 

I like the tops almost as much as I like the bulbs.

SwampDonkey

You still have a change in daylight and a dormancy in Florida Tom.  :)  But I agree a good onion top is good in the pan or a salad.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

fishpharmer

Quote from: Paul_H on March 04, 2011, 07:50:23 PM
Could you fool them with shade in the same way we use a grow light to start tomatoes?

I wondered that too?  I have fooled fish into spawning early or late, by holding them in tanks and manipulating the photoperiod with timers.  

Jim, something like that may work for onions too?  Seems like a lot of trouble.  Or, what about putting something like a tall,  large diameter pipe over your onions so it limits the the amount of direct sunlight?  

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

scottyblue

Quote from: ErikC on March 04, 2011, 06:17:39 PM
Quote from: scottyblue on March 04, 2011, 02:22:42 PM
Quote from: ErikC on March 04, 2011, 10:45:22 AM
It takes no longer to get onions from transplants than sets. The problem with sets is this: They are already one year old, and onions make a bulb on the first year, and seed on the second. So a lot of them can end up bolting, and the bulb looking more like a leek.. Especially if they get stressed from heat or lack of water. The transplants just want to bulb no matter what. Sets work often enough though, just the percentages are less in your favor.

That's true about onions being biennial and the risk of sets/bulbs bolting but that risk can be greatly reduced by purchasing bulbs no more than half inch in diameter.Larger bulbs have a greater risk of bolting.I grow hundreds of onions and I hand pick my bulbs(purchase in bulk)so I get the size I want.It's true that a hot stretch of weather can bring on bolting but it rarely happens in my zone.Starting with sets can shorten the time to harvest by 4-6 weeks as opposed to direct sown seed.But as you say,with transplants there's not a big difference.Another thing that can cause a bulb to end up looking like a leek is growing the wrong variety for ones area.There are long day onions and short day.Onions produce top growth first and once the amount of light hours reach a certain length,the tops stop growing and the bulb develops.A long day variety grown in the wrong area may not have its bulb development triggered and you get a lot of top growth and a leek like bulb.

Cheers

I should have said welcome Scotty. Sorry for the bad manners. :-\

The day length is important. You guys have plenty for any long day onion up there I bet. We get by fine here with them too, but you have to get an early enough start so there's plenty of growth or they won't turn out. Mom and dad grow hundreds and hundreds at their place for the farmer's market. I get by with a couple hundred for just us. Transplanting seed starts is cheaper than sets too for that many, if you start the seeds. All the onion seeds I need cost 3 or 4 dollars. :)

If I ever develop good manners I'll be in a position to scold someone for lack of same :D

Yes,starting seed indoors and transplanting them out would be cheaper than sets.I really need to do more of that.Some heirloom onions I can only get as seed.I direct sow them but they have a higher failure rate than sets when direct sown so yes,I need to do what you do.Start them and transplant.

Cheers
Scotty

Don K

Welcome to the forum, Scotty. Concerning deer and the onions, just yesterday I noticed where a couple strolled through the garden looking to see what I had on the buffet. I saw where one had chomped a top but spit it out. I hope they don't get a taste for them. I know they will eat okra and peppers even the hot ones. Never thought I would see that. ::)

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Tom

Would you call that "Pre-seasoned" meat?

ErikC

Jim-I see some onions are being grown in a group they call "day-neutral". I think Candy is one variety.  I don't really know anything about them, but they are supposed to grow without being as photo-sensitive. Maybe one of that type could help you get onions?
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

WDH

I never imagined that deer would eat okra.  But, I have had them nibble okra that was planted outside the garden fence just like you have seen, Don.  When Miss Scarlet was alive, there was never any problem with deer in the garden.  She could smell them a mile away it seems.  Now, I need another garden watch dog or more fence :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

RynSmith

I vote for another garden watch dog.   :)

edit:  Rhett, by chance?

WDH

If it is a male bloodhound, his name will be Forrest.  In the South, it is common to name bloodhounds after Confederate generals.  However, that would not work for a female, hence, I chose a Southern Belle as you so clearly understood.  Rhett would be absolutely appropriate as well! 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

I'm in the same boat WDH, since ol' Goofy and Pluto went to their reward.  I got some good dogs that keep my tools safe, but they don't give a hoot about the garden.  I'm scrambling for some 10' fencing! :-\
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

I'm considering chaining the Mother-in-law out in the yard.  Might as well put some of that animosity to good use.  :-\

WDH

That would keep the deer as well as all the neighbors away for sure.

scottyblue

Quote from: Don K on March 05, 2011, 10:19:31 AM
Welcome to the forum, Scotty. Concerning deer and the onions, just yesterday I noticed where a couple strolled through the garden looking to see what I had on the buffet. I saw where one had chomped a top but spit it out. I hope they don't get a taste for them. I know they will eat okra and peppers even the hot ones. Never thought I would see that. ::)

Don

Even hot peppers?Wow.What wont they eat.I have a ton of deer around here but the fence seems to keep them out.Not that they're not able to leap over it if they had a mind to.Deer can put Olympic hurdlers to shame:)Of course many of my neighbours have dogs which keep the deer away.

Thanks for the welcome
Cheers
Scotty

scottyblue

Scotty

Coon

Here in Saskatchewan to get onion bulbs of any size we have to trample the tops over once they start getting tall.  This seems to cause the bulbs to grow.  Before we put the sets into the ground we sprinkle a good bit of ash to topcoat the ground.  The ashes come from our own woodstove and we do this to prevent the cutworms and ants from chewing and killing the sets. 

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

SwampDonkey

Coon, we've always bent the tops here to. And have used wood ashes.

Dodgy Loner

I am back in the gardening business after an unwanted hiatus last summer. The wife and I moved in July last summer, so it was too late to plant a garden at that point (I did stick a few hot peppers in the ground, and then some broccoli for winter, but that hardly qualified as a garden). We just closed on our new house last week, and it has lots of fenced-in gardening space in the back. A bit shady, but it will do! I'll try to get some pictures this afternoon :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

sawguy21

Tom, I didn't know we have the same MIL.  :D I'm going to make some raised beds as soon as it quits raining, that will be good therapy for Karen. I hate gardening but sure do enjoy the end result.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WDH

Dodgy, I got a big garden in the works this year.  I had to fence in an additional area because the wild hogs showed up the other week and rooted up a section where I planted tomatoes and peppers last year.  Between the drought, bugs, deer, and hogs, it is a wonder that you can accomplish anything gardenwise.

SwampDonkey

I just purchased my 3 tea rose bushes for the next ten year stint. I put them in pots in the yard. ;D

peach
red
yellow

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: WDH on April 14, 2011, 04:53:02 PM
Between the drought, bugs, deer, and hogs, it is a wonder that you can accomplish anything gardenwise.

Don't forget the squirrels. I am having a time with the squirrels digging around in the beds for my seeds, and then whatever actually comes up they nip off at ground level >:( Still trying to decide what I'm going to do about them.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

beenthere

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on April 15, 2011, 09:36:55 AM
......Don't forget the squirrels. I am having a time with the squirrels digging around in the beds for my seeds, and then whatever actually comes up they nip off at ground level >:( Still trying to decide what I'm going to do about them.

And the subject of food comes up again.  :D :D
Are you looking for some squirrel recipes?   ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!