Started by richhiway, September 11, 2019, 05:01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

WV Sawmiller

Your videos are real nice and you are a hardworker IMHO but you sure do make me appreciate my hydraulics every time I watch you. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

charles mann

aint that a cat's meow.

@WV Sawmiller just wait till my mill is built and the first few vids hit. you hydraulic owners will cry from sorrows or laughter. not sure which, probably laughter.
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

John Bartley

I'm curious .... why the spring and chain on the log-dog?  I have similar dogs on my Champion mill and they've never come loose in twelve years of use.
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

richhiway

Quote from: John Bartley on September 12, 2019, 07:11:18 AM
I'm curious .... why the spring and chain on the log-dog?  I have similar dogs on my Champion mill and they've never come loose in twelve years of use.
I didn't give it any thought, just holds tension on it. I notice sometimes it would stay with out the spring.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Chuck White

Agree with richhiway on this one!

When I first started sawing, I used my FIL's LT40G18 Manual mill, and sometimes I used the chain and sometimes not!

I've found that if I had a lot of the log above the top of the clamp, that once in a while due to the vibration the clamp would vibrate loose and a lot can happen when the clamp moves even a little!  ::)

That happened once, then I used the chain all the time!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Resonator

x2  I use the spring chain to hold the log clamp in place, its especially needed when edging boards.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

richhiway

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 11, 2019, 08:51:02 PM
  Your videos are real nice and you are a hardworker IMHO but you sure do make me appreciate my hydraulics every time I watch you.
Thanks, Howard.
The manual would be a little easier with a helper. Working alone you do a lot of walking back and forth. When I retire from my real job I will probably upgrade to hydraulics if I can make a few bucks cutting. You really need them if you cut lumber for others.
Have a good weekend,
Rich
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

WV Sawmiller

Rich,

One thing I really miss when I see you sawing is my loading arms which I use religiously to stage my flitches and such for further sawing/edging and such. I don't see if you use them or not but a pair of saw horses for un-edged flitches look like they would sure be handy. Below is a simple design I use to make them. It is also a good use for short 2X4's that won't make full length due to flare and such. I use scrap 4x4 pieces for the side and end stretchers instead of 2X4 and they work fine too..
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chuck White

Another idea for holding your flitches for edging later would be to raise the ends of your loading ramps and put a block under them to hold them around level!

Much easier than picking the flitches up off the ground or almost to the bottom of the ramps!

Been there, done that, just sayin'!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

richhiway

Thanks I have the horses on the operator side. I put the slab wood on the loader forks. I am to old to be bending over!
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Thank You Sponsors!