iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started by Horselog, June 06, 2016, 07:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horselog

I have a question for all of the production sawyers out there.  What would a good inventory of saw logs be for an operation that saws 6-7MBF of lumber per day? I imagine it would vary some, probably going into the winter you'd want more, and maybe in the summer you'd want to minimize it so your logs aren't sitting too long.  But what are some averages that you'd want to see on your yard to ensure that you always stay busy and don't have to wait for logs?
Benjamin Harris
Appalachian Mountains of Virginia
horse_logger@me.com

Ron Wenrich

The biggest problem you'll have with inventory is the sorting of the species.  Normal wholesale buyers won't buy more than 2 species on a load.  That means you'll end up having to have about 15-20 Mbf of the same species.  It would be even more if you are selling to more than a couple of customers.  Figure about a 50% recovery in grade, the balance in blocking and/or ties.  That all varies with the grade of the log.  You'll get better grade recovery in better grade logs.  The other thing to consider is how often you get log deliveries.  Ours was several loads a day.  We put the species we were sawing on the deck, and yarded the other species.  We changed species after each trailerload of grade lumber.

The problem with the summer months is the spoilage of logs, especially tulip poplar.  When it gets hot, you'll be able to smell the logs turn sour.  You might have a week to get them sawn and out the door.  If you spray for blue stain, you'll get more time or you can sticker it.  Use dry stickers or you'll get sticker stain.  When poplar stains, the grade will drop to 2 Com.  As the months get cooler, you can allow for more time.  Cold months are no problem.  White pine can be the same problem.

For the other hardwoods, you have to worry about sap stain.  Oaks are a little more tolerant and 2 weeks would be tops in warm weather.  Even so, you might get sap stain.  That'll drop your grade or you can edge it out as a volume loss. 

The exceptions are black walnut, ash and black cherry.  Ash has a problem with powder post, but not sap stain. 

I wouldn't keep logs longer then 2 weeks in the summer, if at all possible.  If you need to store some longer, let it be the lower grades where you don't have as much money tied up or at risk.

In the winter, we always had at least 4-6 weeks in the yard, in some species.  You can never tell how the weather will turn out.  You don't want to be in the woods during the mud season, and you don't want your logs covered in mud.  Snow and ice present delivery problems, as well as slower logging. 

To store logs, it's a good idea to get them up off the ground, if you can.  You don't have as much dirt, better air flow will help keep the stain at bay somewhat, and the logs laying on the ground will stay frozen the longest.  They always stay frozen longer on the side laying on the ground.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

paul case

I like to keep 2 weeks worth on the lot. I like to. It hardly ever happens.

I think that the sap stain can be held at bay in oak logs some by stacking them in the shade if you know it will be longer than 2 weeks in the summer.

It really depends on what you are sawing. If it is all pallet wood then it may not matter as much. Just tie logs without much side lumber or the sides going into pallet lumber wont hurt if it stains either.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!