iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Greenhouse build

Started by Mountaynman, April 07, 2020, 05:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mountaynman

So here goes folks when we moved here 2 years ago one of the things that caught my interest was the south facing wall of the garage looked perfect for a greenhouse.

Went to the woods and found a couple nice hemlocks and got them to the mill finished getting the rafters and header in the ground in the snow in 2018. Took all last summer to get the roof and walls done found 7 sliding glass doors in the barn like the previous owner had the same idea a couple vent windows from the dump and we were all set. Built the raised beds and filled them as we went.

She picked greens well into deer season last fall. Now we have heat and water in there time to get it fired up this spring even though the weather dont look the best it was 105 in there when we just took these pics

Semi Retired too old and fat to wade thru waist deep snow hand choppin anymore

farmfromkansas

Very nice.  What did you use for roofing?  Is the dirt warm enough inside the greenhouse to plant vegies? Would like to do the same thing.  If I ever retire would keep me busy besides my wood shop.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

thecfarm

Looks like a nice place to do some planting.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Mountaynman

we used twinwall 8mm polygal supposed to have 35% greater heat retention was about 600 total with all the metal strips had to special order the 14 ft strips 4 ft wide put the purlins 2 ft on center for snowload 

we had a real mild winter here in the dacks more rain than snow gd thing if it had been all snow we'd still have a couple feet on the ground. The raised beds were as much for thermal mass as to save our backs the soil temp is just stayin around 55 now gonna fire up the heater and hope for sun plant some greens, lettuce and such for salads and get our plants started today.

Gonna wrap it with Adk siding to close up the gaps when we do the house probably next year

Mountaynman

negative on the sun cold rain yesterday and 3 in wet snow tday spring in the adirondacks they wonder why the oldtimers wore wool shirts yearround for the 2 months of heat kept the bugs away for sure

Thank You Sponsors!