iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best way to make a ring/donut?

Started by Brad_bb, January 30, 2021, 01:16:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I need to make a ring or donut.  I have an old Neon Clock that has a flange on the face but a box with a transformer sticks out the back.  Here you can see there is a stainless flange that is screwed to an 1/8" plywood ring that is painted silver.  What I need to make is a ring, sort of like a wooden drum body, that is about 3 inches tall.  I can replace the plywood ring on the clock if I need to match the diameter of my 3 inch tall ring.  The ring will let me space it off the wall to hide the metal box on the back.  I will also cut a couple holes in the ring to allow air movement to keep the transformer from overheating.

So I'm trying to find the best method to make the ring.  I can be 3/8" to 3/4" thick, about 3" tall, and roughly 18 inch diameter.  Drum bodies are laminated.  Or should I do it from solid hardwood?  Tools I have available are 14" bandsaw, Bosch router along with an aftermarket circle guide that can cut over 3 ft dia.  I do not have a spindle sander at this time, only a 4x24 portable belt sander.  Is there a way with what I've got or do I need something else?
Hopefully there is a good way to get a precise round diameter?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Ljohnsaw

Use the router and circle guide.  Cut the outer then the inner circles.  Laminate rings to get to your 3" height.  A band saw would be way faster but you will have the entrance cut to get to the inside of the ring.  You can squeeze it when you glue it all together.  It would be easier to make it thinner than using the router.  Or, get yourself a scrap piece of 18" PVC pipe and use contact adhesive to attach some thin veneer to the outside.  Or some metal A/C duct pipe?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Tom King

I didn't watch this video, but it's the first of Many that came up on a Google search for:  bandsaw circle cutting jig

The ONLY bandsaw circle cutting jig that fits EVERY NEED! - YouTube

21incher

How about cutting rings from mdf with your jig and gluing them together to get the height. Then wrapping and facing with veneer? 3/8 wall  x 3" x 18"  with cutouts will be very tough to form with hardwood. Maybe you have a piece of aluminum rolled with a welded seam that could be painted with wood grain. Or even buy a lathe and try to turn it from a solid piece.  headscratch. Good luck
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

kantuckid

For a onesie project I'd simply cut the outside with my bandsaw and the inside with my jig saw and sand to the line on a spindle drum sander. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Brad_bb

21incher, I kind of like that idea, I just am not a a fan of MDF.  I am going to paint it silver, so maybe just make it from solid wood- glue up some segments.  

I wonder if I make a circle jig for the band saw and make say 3 rings from solid wood, then sand one ring to be the master(middle ring), glue another ring on, then use flush trim router bit to make it match (maybe oversize ring 2 and 3 for that purpose), then glue the third ring to the opposite side, and use the same flush trim bit to make it match?

I think that would work, shouldn't it?

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

21incher

I would  think it will be easiest to use your router jig to cut the rings concentric in one setup. How are you going to cut the ID with a bandsaw? 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Buck69

Ed_K

I would like to turn a cup, it will have to have segments. What glue can be used that will not leak and be ok for drinking out of? I just got the delta wood lathe running and turned a few small projects but have a lot to learn.
Ed K

doc henderson

I did a dream catcher with 3/4 ERD, and used a trim bit toe make the two layers the same.  i assume you will only see the outside.  if you are using wood, and then going to paint it silver, I like the idea of rolling aluminum, or even steal with a coat of lacquer to keep it shiny.  if wood is your choice, and the inside is unseen.  you can do sequential layers to get your height, doing a top and bottom layer at a time to use the router, then glue the next layer.

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

gspren

Many of the band saws found in machine shops have blade welders built right on the front so you can drill a starter hole to put a saw band through before welding, after the cut you need to cut the band. For wood work the band can be brazed then ground smooth enough. Yea it sounds worse than it is but if you have an old or broke band and a torch to braze or silver solder with it's something to try. 
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

doc henderson

@Brad_bb I think the no bandsaw for the inside comment is due to needing to cut through the ring.  if you are going to paint it anyway,  you can use filler or bondo and primer (sanding) to get an automotive finish.  the dream catcher is a 4 foot diameter 2 inch wide, 1.5 inches thick ring, with 5 segments in each of 2 layers.  the whole troop gateway is 14 feet tall, and 14 feet wide.  took a week to build.  I was able to use 8 inch wide boards, and a Bosch jig saw (saber saw as my dad and others used to call them).  you will need a good saw and blade so you do not get an angled cut.  I think that som 3 inch by 1/8th inch rooled and welded steel, with wood inserts front and back would be the best of both worlds.  It takes a lot to get a good smooth panted surface on wood, to not show grain.  I have made pinewood derby cars with an automotive finish, but prob. 7 coats and sandings of primer before the finish coat.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

my neighbor makes segmented bowls, but 18 inches requires quite a lathe.  I made a couple of drums back in the day with plastic, like used on truck beds and such.  My opinion is, making it from wood is a lot of work to just paint over, and other materials would be simpler and more stable to paint.  @tule peak timber .  If I recall, he made some drums as well.  could also do it like the bentwood boxes that are made with several laminations.

Thank You Sponsors!