iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mobile base for 12" jointer

Started by RussMaGuss, April 11, 2021, 10:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RussMaGuss

I am looking to build a mobile base and don't really know which way to run with it. Grizzly emailed me saying that item T32334 is backordered until late august. They also told me they don't recommend attaching them to the jointer even though the rating shows 450lbs per caster, which would be more than enough for I believe the 1200lbs of the G9860. The other thing is that whatever mobile base I make, I'd like it to be so that the jointer has full contact with the ground when in use which is why I really want to make it work with the workbench style casters. Any ideas/examples are appreciated! I'd probably only be moving the machine once a week max.

Larry

I hate mobile bases.  Machines should be on a solid base and leveled to do good work vibration free.

Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.  I made these bases and added them to a 3,000 pound all cast iron shaper years ago so I could roll it out into the middle of the shop.  I ran some 30' long stair hand rails so I needed 60' clear space to get them through the machine.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ed_K

I've been having trouble with grizzly sending two of everything I order. Better to call them than using the puter system.
Ed K

alan gage

I have a 9860 and I put a Bora Portamate base underneath it:

Bora Portamate PM-3500-Industrial Strength Universal Rolling Mobile Base That Makes Your Heaviest Power Tools Easy to Move - - Amazon.com

I also had to order the extension tubes since the jointer is so long. It works great. I move it all the time as I don't have the space to leave it out in the open all the time.

The jointer base isn't a rectangle (it tapers towards the ends) so it doesn't contact the corner pads. I placed a 2x6 across the pads and it works fine.

Alan

Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

RussMaGuss

@alan gage So the jointer is sitting on the 2x6 and the 2x6 sits in the recessed part of the base then? I am wondering on the stability of the casters on the non-pedal side. Are there any pads that the base sits on once it's in the down position or does all the weight sit on the caster full time? I guess as long as it's solid I don't really have any issues with one of these. Gotta go with what works, right? I figure, worst case if it gets a bit shaky, I could jam a 2x6 under the base and tap some shims in for a temporary solid base. Thanks for the link!

alan gage

Quote from: RussMaGuss on April 12, 2021, 04:57:34 PM
@alan gage So the jointer is sitting on the 2x6 and the 2x6 sits in the recessed part of the base then? I am wondering on the stability of the casters on the non-pedal side. Are there any pads that the base sits on once it's in the down position or does all the weight sit on the caster full time? I guess as long as it's solid I don't really have any issues with one of these. Gotta go with what works, right? I figure, worst case if it gets a bit shaky, I could jam a 2x6 under the base and tap some shims in for a temporary solid base. Thanks for the link!
That is correct, the jointer is 1 1/2" higher than it would normally be. I don't doubt the stability is lessened but I can't budge it so am not too worried.
On the end with the fixed casters there is nothing to take the weight, it's all on the casters. On the end with the pivoting casters there are threaded rods with a pad that it can be set on which will take some of the weight and keep it from moving. I've never used them.
I guess as long as the machine is stable from a tipping/rocking standpoint I don't worry too much about it.
As the machine is approaching the max weight rating of the base I was worried the casters might flatten after sitting or that it would be difficult to move but I've been pleasantly surprised.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

alan gage

It looks like Yellowhammer did the same thing judging by the picture in this thread:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=95233.0

Alan

kantuckid

My 20" planer, PM table saw and band saw are on bought bases-I don't like them but they work OK in spite of the slight angles. My 8" jointer is on concrete and i do at times slide it around some but it's off to the side of the room.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

VB-Milling

Quote from: RussMaGuss on April 11, 2021, 10:10:49 PM
I am looking to build a mobile base and don't really know which way to run with it. Grizzly emailed me saying that item T32334 is backordered until late august. They also told me they don't recommend attaching them to the jointer even though the rating shows 450lbs per caster, which would be more than enough for I believe the 1200lbs of the G9860. The other thing is that whatever mobile base I make, I'd like it to be so that the jointer has full contact with the ground when in use which is why I really want to make it work with the workbench style casters. Any ideas/examples are appreciated! I'd probably only be moving the machine once a week max.
The solution I came up with for my jointer.  Its also around 1200lbs.  The complicated part was making the adjustable motor mount, which you wouldn't have to deal with.  The whole thing was made with scrap 3x3 angle iron and Amazon casters.  Check out the description to see how the casters both act as feet and wheels.  When in "foot" mode, the jointer is rock solid.  When in "wheel" mode, they have no problem handling the weight and roll buttery smooth.
Toolly 4 Pack Leveling Machine Casters with Nylon Wheel and Rubber Foot- Loading Capacity 2200 lbs - Retractable Workbench Caster Set: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

HM126

kantuckid

Full ground contact precludes any mobile base I've ever seen? Mine are of two brands that both work OK. They depend on an adjustable thread that uses a rubber bumper when the base is deployed via cam levers such that the bumper takes some weight. My 8" jointer is maybe 500-600 lbs(a guess) and sits at the edge of my open floor space. I do sometime manhandle it to allow jointing a longer board. Most cabinet work doesn't involve very long pieces so not usually needed to move it. I'm sure a fabricated base will exceed the rigidity of the mobile bases that are adjustable and use multi holes in lighter weight steel angle for fit-ups.  
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!