iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deciduous conifer

Started by low_48, June 02, 2019, 11:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

low_48

This tree is on my favorite bicycle route. In a really nicely landscaped yard in Peoria, IL. Two things have caught my attention, first it drops all the needles in the fall, and I've not see anything with these soft lacy branches. My search lead to Golden Redwood, but not sure about the arrangement of the needles. Any help? Thanks

Ianab

Looks like bald cypress to me? Although they naturally grow in swampy areas, they do OK in normal soil as an ornamental. 

This is a nice one growing in front of a friends house here in NZ. Start of winter here, so it's just loosing it's needles. 

Golden Redwood is a variety of Dawn Redwood, but I don't think you have that. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

I don't think the cypress would take the cold that far north. I suspect some kind of Asian cypress transplant maybe?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ianab

There is a Chinese species of cypress that drops it's needles, but it's pretty rare, and doesn't look quite the same. Not sure how cold it gets where the OP is, but the local ones survive a bit of frost and snow, especially if they are are protected as seedlings. The list of deciduous softwoods isn't very long. Larches, and it's not one of them. About 3 species of cypress, dawn redwood, and ginko. As far as I know, thats all you get to choose from?
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Sanford mizer

Looks just like the dawn redwoods in my front yard.
Jeeps are built not bought

caveman

The leaves that low_48 posted look to be opposite.  I saw some trees in INdianapolis that looked for all the world like baldcypress to me but I was informed they were something else.  I am guessing Dawn Redwood, which have opposite leaves.

Metasequoia Like Taxodium distichum, dawn redwood (Metasequoia glyptostroboides) is a beautiful and fascinating tree. Earlier in the 20th century Metasequoia was thought to be extinct and was only known to botanists from fossil records. In the 1940s the species was identified in China. Although the tree is widely cultivated in the U.S. and elsewhere in the world, trees in the wild are rare and the species is considered critically endangered in its native habitat. Dawn redwood and baldcypress often appear quite similar and initially may be confused but there are several key traits that are useful for identification. The leaf arrangement of dawn redwood is opposite whereas baldcypress leaves have a spiral or alternate arrangement. Dawn redwood maintains a strongly pyramidal excurrent branch habit with fine branches. Bald cypress has a coarser branch structure and develops a broader crown outline with age. Other factors being equal, Metasequoia transplants more easily than Taxodium. Like baldcypress, dawn redwood is a fast grower (over 2' feet per year) and is a large tree that needs room to grow. The genus Metasequoia is monospecfic. Several sources report that most of the Metasequoia in the nursery trade descended from three seed sources collected in China in the late 1940's. Only a handful of cultivars are li
Caveman

Ianab

Looking closer the leaf pattern does look opposite, which points to dawn redwood.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

Sanford Mizer called it.  
Caveman

low_48

Thanks everyone. I rode by there twice today, I never see anyone outside. I'll knock on the door one day and talk to them, it's that pretty of a yard. 

firefighter ontheside

Bald cypress grows naturally in the swamps of southern Illinois.  I'm sure it can take the cold winters in Peoria IL.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

here are pics of 3 we planted in ks.  bit-o-rain today.

not bald now since it is summer.  wish my head worked like that only opposite
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

Looks like baldcypress is natually occurring along the Ohio River valley. Dendro book says they have been planted farther north of it's range into Canada and can withstand -30F lows. Never woulda thunk it. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

Aarggh...

Now those pics don't look like the opposite leaves any more.  ???

Trees will grow well outside their natural range, and maybe even become invasives. We aren't being  overcome with either Bald Cypress or Dawn Redwood here, but both seem to grow OK. 

SwampDonkey

It's possible in some cases, but not practiced around here. Horticulture, yes they do. And many unwary buyers have dead trees within 3 years or severe frost damage. Seed and resulting seedlings from forest production are chosen from similar latitudes and climates. So we may plant Norway spruce here (but very small numbers), experimentation over the years has proved that selection for site and latitude is far more productive and reliable and much better vigor and form. I've yet to see Norway spruce reseed itself. I have seen Scots pine do so, but they are very poor looking pine up here. :D

low_48

BALD CYPRESS       Really close to 1 year to catch the gentleman in his yard. Met him at a distance yesterday, 87 year old guy, super friendly. He didn't have a good thing to say about the tree, "horribly trashy" was his first comment, followed by "If anyone gives you one of those, throw it away!"

SwampDonkey

Maybe they shed a lot of limbs do they?

doc henderson

out BC are in front of a row of senior sycamores, so I do not notice anything but needles in the winter, and they mow up easily in the spring.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

moodnacreek

Dawn  redwood. Lighter and softer than cedar. Sold some yesterday.

Clark

The Twin Cities has some that are doing well. Duluth will have 5 by the end of the summer. We will see how they hold up around here. Illinois? No problem!

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

SwampDonkey

I've tried redwood a few years ago up here in NB. The cold winter ended that experiment. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!