iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How deep is the debarker supposed to "cut"?

Started by GDinMaine, August 16, 2013, 09:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDinMaine

I'm asking this because I had a discussion with another sawyer, who remarked about the fact that the groove is shallow.  He has no debarker and was asking if that is the way it supposed to be.  I could not say it with any certainty. I said: "That is the way it is on my mill."  I don't know what the intended depth is or if I can (I don't think) adjust that.  I will try to take some pictures of the blade and the cut tomorrow. 

I know it is not suppose to really cut the wood, but how deep of a groove is it supposed to make?  I have been using the one on my mill (WM LT-40) and as far as I can tell it is working all right.  The carbide (or something similar) teeth on it are sort of rounded down but it still seems to scuff off the outer layer of bark.  It only leaves a groove of about 1/16-1/8 deep.  Is it the way it is intended to be? 
Thanks
GD
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

LeeB

!/16 sounds a little shallow to me. I usually average 1/4" or more. I never tried it, but have been told you can reface the carbide with a hand grinder.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

It depends upon the hardness of the bark.  Pine cuts deeper than Oak, etc.  Different size logs cause the teeth to contact the logs at different angles and affect the cut depth.  Rounded teeth cut more shallow.

1/8" to 1/4" would be a good measure.  Dirt that is deep within the fissures of the bark may not always be reached with the debarker blade.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

Mine goes deeper, too.  If I want it to dig in to really dirty, deep bark, I can cut quite a groove.  I can also run it against a partialy debarked cant and cut pretty serious chips out of the bare wood.  My carbides are still square edged and fairly sharp.  Maybe its time for a new blade or some touch up sharpening.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Magicman

It also makes a difference on the levelness of the sawmill.  I like to have the loader side about ½ bubble high.  That adds more of the debarker's weight against the log making it cut deeper/better.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nomad

My debarker blade was really, really dull.  I took it to a saw sharpening service to see if he could salvage the teeth.  Sharp teeth make an amazing difference!. 8)

Quote from: Magicman on August 16, 2013, 10:33:51 PM
It also makes a difference on the levelness of the sawmill.  I like to have the loader side about ½ bubble high.  That adds more of the debarker's weight against the log making it cut deeper/better.

Makes a lot of difference, too.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Magicman on August 16, 2013, 10:33:51 PM

How high on the loader side before you run into trouble with the head not pulling down?  I mean teetering to the other side to give boards thicker on the outside?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Bibbyman

Depth?  I concur with what's been said.  I'll just add a note about debarker blades and refurbishing thereof.  After a lot of use and abuse they loose and break off teeth so we would replace with a new one. We built up a collection of damaged blades. One day I took the stack to the welding shop and had him rob good teeth from one blade and fix the others.  I then sharpened them using a grinder for sharpening saw blade that has a diamond wheel. Now I'm fixed for life, I think.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

bandmiller2

A silicon carbide wheel alis "green" wheel will mount on a bench grinder and sharpen carbide bits.Carbide bits can be ordered and soldered easily to the saw disc,probibly very close to the bits Lucas uses on their saws.I would think when the debarker travels down the log you should see a white streak in its path.We had one on the LT-70 I operated and it would cut a decent swath,I forget if it was springs or a motor and slipping belt that tensioned it agenst the log,I would guess its adjustable. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on August 17, 2013, 05:01:43 AMHow high on the loader side before you run into trouble with the head not pulling down? 
½ to a full bubble high will not give me any trouble.  If the bubble hangs to the loader end, then I start readjusting outriggers.

I also like the loader side higher so the logs will roll freely from the loader and favor the side support side of the sawmill.   ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Bibbyman on August 17, 2013, 05:26:34 AM
Now I'm fixed for life, I think.

Bibby.....I hope you're around longer than 5 blades. Because I like you.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Brucer

Debarker teeth have no hook angle, specifically so they won't "saw" into sound wood. The blade rotation pushes the debarker away from the log so the harder the wood, the less bite the blade will take.

The mechanism that swings the debarker in and out is spring loaded; the more the spring is compressed, the harder blade pushes inward. On a Wood-Mizer you can get an idea of how much inward pressure you're getting by looking at the rod that slides through the spring. The further the rod sticks out from the stop, the more inward pressure you are getting.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!