iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any feedback on WM debarker blade with 1/2" inserts?

Started by flatrock58, September 13, 2015, 11:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatrock58

My debarker blade is missing some teeth and needs to be replaced.  I see that there is the standard blade and also a blade with 1/2" inserts.  Is anyone using the larger insert blade?  If so how does it work?  I was afraid it might trip the breaker more on my LT40.  I did not see any comments about the 1/2" inserts when I searched the FF site.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

4x4American

I know a guy who knows a girl who has a sister who has a brother who has an uncle who has a nephew who's her brother who met this guy that lives in NH who tried out that 1/2" debarker blade and didn't like it.  Said that it did funky things.  Like walking up the log.  Don't tell him I told you this.
Boy, back in my day..

Percy

I have one on my 70. The teeth are so wide, when you are making your first cut on a 30 incher, just the bottom of the   carbide teeth(1/2 inch) touch the log which is about a quarter inch below the cut line. Kinda like a third extra butt on a starving wolf,  pretty much useless. I took my sons diamond sharpener wheel and put it on my dewalt 4.5 inch angle grinder(fits perfectly)and put a 15 degree angle on the bottom half of the teeth and it makes a huge difference. If your debarker feed spring has too much hormones, it could give you breaker grief. Mine operates on a screen door return spring cylinder and it pulls just the right amount to remove a big batch of crud from the log without climbing or popping a breaker.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Rachiano

I have been using the wider debarker blade on the lt70 for a few months now and it's  doing great. In the beginning I was giving too much pressure on the log that it would trip the debarker breaker but within time you will learn how much pressure to apply not to trip the breaker. If it climbs up the log, you need to check the debarker alighnment...in another thread it was mentioned...I will look it up and add a link to it. Hope this helps.

Addition: Here is the link to a previous post https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,82497.msg1259702.html#msg1259702
Rachiano

WM LT70
WM EG50
Werklust WG25 Wheel loader
DAF 2100 HIAB truck

WV Sawmiller

Flatrock,

I'd like the wider cut but I am like Sawyer Brown in earlier thread and spend too much time right now re-setting the breaker when using my debarker on my LT35. I'll be the first to admit it is my fault by putting or allowing too much pressure on the blade and I am glad the design forces it to trip rather than breaking something. I'd guess if you use the half inch inserts you will have to be real diligent watching the taper of the log to keep from getting too much tension on the debarker while using it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

flatrock58

Thanks for the replies.  I will probably go with the regular blade.  I really don't want to have the breaker tripping on me all the time.
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Percy

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

That is awesome, Percy!  I like the thought of replacing the unsed alternator with a compressor and having the compressor working the debarker, blowing off the cant, and...wait for it...plumbing it in to your blade tensioner!  I would plumb it in seperately, so that you can still use the manual pump.  Not sure how long it takes to tension the blade with the hand pump, maybe it's not worth it, I don't know!
Boy, back in my day..

Percy

Quote from: Magicman on September 15, 2015, 08:28:37 AM
That is an innovative mod Percy.   8)
Quote from: 4x4American on September 15, 2015, 08:41:18 AM
That is awesome, Percy!  I like the thought of replacing the unsed alternator with a compressor and having the compressor working the debarker, blowing off the cant, and...wait for it...plumbing it in to your blade tensioner!  I would plumb it in seperately, so that you can still use the manual pump.  Not sure how long it takes to tension the blade with the hand pump, maybe it's not worth it, I don't know!
Thanks guys. To expand on your idea 4x4, a regulator set at 80 lbs in conjunction with a 12 volt air solonoid would work great. Since I made that vid, I have installed a 12 volt compressor with a tank. Release/tension blade with the flick of a switch.....I may try that when things slow down...thanks for the idea :D

flatrock58

I like the debarker mod Percy.  You will have to let us know how it hold up after extended use.
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Percy

Quote from: flatrock58 on September 15, 2015, 10:41:51 PM
I like the debarker mod Percy.  You will have to let us know how it hold up after extended use.
It has been working pretty much flawless since 2013. The compressor died @ about 6 months doing replaced it with a more durable unit with a tank/reservoir. Paid 120 for it and another 80 bucks worth of stuff.

Thank You Sponsors!