iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to felling trees

Started by Timberline, March 25, 2021, 03:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

My coconut is larger than normal and an odd shape, ok no schmartash comments please :D, I have a hard time finding a skull bucket that will fit comfortably. The cheap promo ones from Stihl are the worst! I finally settled on the Woodland Pro aluminum full brim, the crew liked it because they see me coming in time to ditch their smokes and get back to work
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

John Mc

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on April 03, 2021, 03:27:37 PMNever did find a winter liner/shell I liked. The best thing I've found is just pulling up a hoodie, but this suspension may not have enough room for that, at least not yet. Anyway, glad I finally got it, now to break it in.

One of the best things I've found for that is what amounts to long underwear for your head: a lightweight balaclava similar to this one. (I'm not necessarily recommending this brand, but it appears similar to what I have.) I wear this under a helmet or under my hat when out hiking in the winter. You don't need a heavy weight one to make a big difference. I usually end up pulling the opening down below my chin, unless it's really cold out and I need my face covered as well.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Old Greenhorn

Great Idea John! I have some heavy wool ones I wear for snow blowing or living in the snow, but I think someplace I have a lighter one that never worked really well for winter camping or hiking. That might work fine under a hard hat when working hard. Gotta see if I can find it now. ;D I also need to make some room in the hat for it, right now it's a little tight in there on the top side.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Timberline

The gear I ordered arrived today. Still waiting on the boots. Turns out those are class 3 rated which I was happy about. I've been looking at the aluminum ones. I suppose I could take this one back. I was sure looking forward to having the ear muffs built in though. I'm surprised the plastic isn't good...I just know from riding snowmobiles you want a helmet that is designed to crack on impact to absorb the shock. 

This is a question I couldn't find an answer to yet: I couldn't find any class rating when I was buying the chaps. The husky technical seemed to be the best I could find. The box says they're tested up to 2,750 feet/min chain speed. That is approx 14 m/s. not even Class 0 which is 16 m/s. Class 1 is 20 m/s. 

The gloves on the other hand are class 1. I couldn't find class 3 gloves. Why aren't the chaps a higher class rating? Is class 1 adequate for the gloves? How about the 2,750 ft/min for the chaps?

Here are the class 3 Oregon 295384 boots. They're supposed to arrive next week. I find it intersting I could find class 3 boots easy but barely class 1 for anything else. Why is this? Am I over thinking it? 

btulloh

Can't help with chaps question, but when you finally get all the gear, throw it in a mud hole then drag it through the brush before you wear it in public.  :D :D
HM126

Timberline

Quote from: btulloh on April 03, 2021, 10:38:55 PM
Can't help with chaps question, but when you finally get all the gear, throw it in a mud hole then drag it through the brush before you wear it in public.  :D :D
:D great idea! 

mike_belben

My guess is youd need chain maille to protect at cutter speeds beyond the 2,750. 

Translation:  dont saw into yourself an WOT. 
Praise The Lord

SwampDonkey

They look like the Viking/Husqvarna bushwacker boot. If they are, I found those model would bruise the top of my foot. I always get the Viking model 69 for a better fit. I use the caulk soles because I thin small trees and those stems are a slippery mess to walk through. Also slippery walking on wet logs.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

John Mc

Quote from: Timberline on April 03, 2021, 09:52:38 PM
The gear I ordered arrived today. Still waiting on the boots. Turns out those are class 3 rated which I was happy about. I've been looking at the aluminum ones. I suppose I could take this one back. I was sure looking forward to having the ear muffs built in though. I'm surprised the plastic isn't good...I just know from riding snowmobiles you want a helmet that is designed to crack on impact to absorb the shock.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the helmet you chose. Keep it and use it. It's been years since I compared safety ratings on aluminum vs plastic helmets, but there was no safety advantage to the aluminum when I did check.

The only area where I saw an advantage for aluminum: Plastic does deteriorate over time, and that deterioration is accelerated by exposure to UV light. So one used professionally will be ready for replacement sooner than one used by a landowner or other part-time use. This is why OSHA calls for replacement after 5 years of use when used in a commercial setting. Modern plastic helmets incorporate UV stabilizers in the plastic, which has helped improve longevity. (Husqvarna's Technical Forest Helmet actually includes an indicator that turns color when it has reached it's UV limit.)

Pick the helmet that is comfortable for you and that you will wear. I just did not like the feel of the aluminum helmets, and wanted one with integrated hearing protection, so that it was always with me (I have a tendency to lose ear plugs when working in the woods). I do have a second helmet from which the hearing protection has been removed. I wear that in very hot weather with ear plugs, since it's cooler.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

grabber green

I just wan't to say although this new safety gear can and will help prevent injury don't let it give you a false sense of security. I know of and have known personaly several guys who died in the log woods local to me that the ppe could not ,did not prevent the type of injury they recieved. Your brain is your best tool for your safety.           As far as hardhats I ,like others prefer aluminum . My old one from the 80s has plenty of dents and has saved me many times.  Later because of large land company policy and other places we worked that required hats be non electricaly condective I had to switch to plastic. They work plenty good and have saved me many times also.     One particular time, a  peltor brand plastic hat kept me from dying when a 6 inch  beech limb fell  ,30 minutes or more after I had cut a 48 inch pine  . I was helping the skidder man hook chokers. It cracked the hat ,broke the suspension ,knocked me out and messed up my arm , I woke up to a skidder man thinking I was dead but everything turn out great thanks to peltor :).

teakwood

I will add my 2cents, i'm no helmet fan because of the terrible heat we have here and the very low risk of dead branches in teak plantations, which i work in.

Pfanner Protos Helmet | TreeStuff

A swiss friend of mine brought this helmet for his use here and left it here after he left, so i use the thing. At almost 300$ it's really just for pro use. in central Europe is has become standard along the pros, pfanner took the undisputed leadership in safety equipment's. i use the pfanner pants since 10years and can not say anything bad about them.

the helmet is as comfortable as can be. there are at least 20 different points where the helmet can be adjusted, everything is adjustable. i really like the hidden ear muffs and the helm trigger, a lever at your neck which fix the helmet to your head so it won't fall off.

open trigger, orange flap at the neck

closed trigger

closed vent

open vent
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Old Greenhorn

Back up the truck just a second here timberline! Nobody said plastic wasn't good, at least not me. You picked some good gear there, stick with it and use it. Wear it in good health. What we got sidetracked on were preferences, mostly acquired over time for the type and frequency of work WE do. Having muffs right on your helmet is a good thing for a LOT of folks and in fact I wish many times I had that feature, but I made a choice. When I am playing ground guy for an arborist, I don't want those muffs whacking around up there when I am not wearing them and there are other reasons, but they are all MY reasons, not yours. Go with what you've got there, you made good choices. Over time you may refine those choices, but you will do it for your own reasons.
 As far as chap ratings and chain speeds, I wish every manufacturer used the same standards so we could truly compare what we are buying. This is why I never get Chinese stuff, it can even be marked as meeting the standards, but the truth is, it was never even tested, they just stamp it. The forester aluminum helmets have this issue which is why I may not always 'buy American' but when I can't, I buy from a reputable manufacturer. 
 Don't split hairs on the little details when you are getting started, just go with good stuff, good technique, and proven practices. You can make up your own mind later based on your own knowledge when you want to try a new path.
 Don't forget to keep looking up. ;D

Hey Teakwood, did you have to take a class to learn how to use that helmet? :D
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Tin Horse

x2 on the Phanner. I've had one now for about 3 years and love it. Yup they're expensive but all parts are replaceable. Also got the built in sun glasses. By far the most comfortable I've had. 
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

Timberline

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on April 04, 2021, 11:16:23 AM

Back up the truck just a second here timberline! Nobody said plastic wasn't good, at least not me. You picked some good gear there, stick with it and use it. Wear it in good health. What we got sidetracked on were preferences, mostly acquired over time for the type and frequency of work WE do. Having muffs right on your helmet is a good thing for a LOT of folks and in fact I wish many times I had that feature, but I made a choice. When I am playing ground guy for an arborist, I don't want those muffs whacking around up there when I am not wearing them and there are other reasons, but they are all MY reasons, not yours. Go with what you've got there, you made good choices. Over time you may refine those choices, but you will do it for your own reasons.
As far as chap ratings and chain speeds, I wish every manufacturer used the same standards so we could truly compare what we are buying. This is why I never get Chinese stuff, it can even be marked as meeting the standards, but the truth is, it was never even tested, they just stamp it. The forester aluminum helmets have this issue which is why I may not always 'buy American' but when I can't, I buy from a reputable manufacturer.
Don't split hairs on the little details when you are getting started, just go with good stuff, good technique, and proven practices. You can make up your own mind later based on your own knowledge when you want to try a new path.
Don't forget to keep looking up. ;D

Hey Teakwood, did you have to take a class to learn how to use that helmet? :D
That makes sense! Thanks for the info. I'll take your advice and give this stuff a try and go from there. Hopefully I'll never have to find out how well it works  :)

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Skeans1 on April 03, 2021, 02:33:26 PM
@Old Greenhorn
Been running those sweat band in this hats for the better part of 10 years and never had an issue with one. As for the suspension set it in the heat then put it on your head and press it down for a few minutes then it'll setup to your head. If that doesn't feel comfortable let me know there's a few shops around here that offer some different versions of suspension for them.
@Skeans1 could you pass on the contact info for those folks making alternate suspensions for the skull buckets? I am not pleased with the OEM. It seems to not make tight and after a month of dealing with this today was pretty much the last straw, every time I looked up the hat wanted to fall off. I don't like it too tight, but I don't want it falling off when I am trying to cut and look up. I brought it in tonight and messed with it running it through the length of its adjustment and I see some of the ratchet teeth are bent over. I got is working and making up tighter than it ever had now, but I have lost confidence and want to look into a more reliable suspension. Never had one of those ratchets fail before on a hat, especially a new one, and this one is beyond distracting. I like my gear to be dependable and work properly, especially safety gear.
 BTW, I did get to test it a week or so ago and took a branch right where the brim turns up into the crown over my forehead. Knocked the hat 15' away into the underbrush. Except for a few seconds of blurred vision, I was fine. So it worked!

Thank You Sponsors!