iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loggers and eco-activists clash/ Vancouver Island

Started by Riwaka, May 07, 2021, 05:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

Anything that causes americans to fight americans makes america weaker and is a delight to every nation out there thats eager for us to fail.
Praise The Lord

moodnacreek

Those are words of wisdom that everyone should understand. If we ever did what we did before this country would be over quick.

Riwaka

Further to the 'Solutions to the issues with Pellet mills'

It appears that there has been a bumpy road for the engineers of 'air quality' solutions in the Wood processing sector. Case histories - shows legal, financial, design patent, IP, human resources etc issues. Maybe one day there could be a better system for  the licensing of patented designs, the way that engineers with company developed design knowledge can move on to new employment etc for the 'greater good'. The 'greater good' being further advances of air quality systems for wood processing facilities so the health etc of the workers and residents near wood processing facilities is not adversely effected. 

Angry Beaver

Quote from: HemlockKing on July 03, 2021, 05:32:03 PM
We had some people in NS who were complaining about the highways being cleared of brush off to the side??? They wanted them to leave trees growing to the shoulder. Never mind seeing deer or anything that might jump out. Who needs a field of vision right?

We need those cut for our safety, obviously they hadn't brainstormed much as to why it was being cut though.
Pfft, field of vision on a highway is overrated!  Who doesn't like seeing a big bull Moose or Buck suddenly jump out of the bushes and trash large truck! (Live in rural Nova Scotia)

They are also cutting a lot back down near Bridgewater to widen the highway a bit/put in some more over passes or some such.

HemlockKing

Quote from: Angry Beaver on July 14, 2021, 09:12:18 AM
We had some people in NS who were complaining about the highways being cleared of brush off to the side??? They wanted them to leave trees growing to the shoulder. Never mind seeing deer or anything that might jump out. Who needs a field of vision right?

We need those cut for our safety, obviously they hadn't brainstormed much as to why it was being cut though.
Pfft, field of vision on a highway is overrated!  Who doesn't like seeing a big bull Moose or Buck suddenly jump out of the bushes and trash large truck! (Live in rural Nova Scotia)

They are also cutting a lot back down near Bridgewater to widen the highway a bit/put in some more over passes or some such.
Hello fellow blue noser! Yes Bridgewater is getting another exit put between exit 12 and 13, the area is growing exponentially, they are feeling the effects of the urban sprawl from the city. Nothing has been announced but I envision a twinning of the highway from
Bridgewater to Chester in the next decade. They twinned from tantallin to hubbards to far but I believe stop at exit 7.
A1

sawguy21

I have to laugh. The enviros are blockading an unused logging road north of Revelstoke BC, apparently there are no plans to harvest the area in the near future. They will be crowing about their success when nobody shows up. :D :D Speaking of road improvements there is a push to twin Highway 1 east of Chase. That will be a real challenge with the lake on one side and the CPR main line running along the top of the rock face on the other. :o
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

hacknchop

Quote from: sawguy21 on July 14, 2021, 11:50:24 AM
I have to laugh. The enviros are blockading an unused logging road north of Revelstoke BC, apparently there are no plans to harvest the area in the near future. They will be crowing about their success when nobody shows up. :D :D Speaking of road improvements there is a push to twin Highway 1 east of Chase. That will be a real challenge with the lake on one side and the CPR main line running along the top of the rock face on the other. :o
They are usually happy just making the news,publicity is what drives them.
Often wrong never indoubt

sawguy21

At least one of them is a local teacher in a town where a mill and logging are major employers. I can well imagine how her views are received by parents.

mike_belben

Dont worry, she will have those folks kids vegan, transgendered and tearing down their own economic system in no time.  
Praise The Lord

sawguy21

moodnacreek

Quote from: mike_belben on July 14, 2021, 05:23:00 PM
Dont worry, she will have those folks kids vegan, transgendered and tearing down their own economic system in no time.  
I have come to realize, the hard way, that the above is very true.

HemlockKing

Quote from: mike_belben on July 14, 2021, 05:23:00 PM
It's a clown world we're in.
A1

DMcCoy

I think the timber industry missed it's golden opportunity here in the NW when the stream battles started.
They should have immediately started a TV campaign showing pictures of clear cuts caused by beavers.

"You want to save the fish?  So do we!"

(insert giant picture of a stream with all the trees lying down)

"We want to restore beaver populations in ALL the streams on our timber land!"

"Help us restore the beaver and save the fish"

!!!!

mike_belben

Yup. Useful idiots all have the right to vote. 
Praise The Lord

mudfarmer

Devil's advocate here,
Maybe it is people like me that are very upset that their hard earned tax money got put to use destroying their very own trees that are well outside the right of way?

If people were smart enough not to drive 80mph through blind corner forests at night, the highway Dept would not need an "open highway policy" that allows them to waste so much time and money messing up my property. The whole road is like a war zone. Watch out for deer? Slow down and watch out for the angry person that has watched this oak grow from an acorn.

HemlockKing

Quote from: mudfarmer on July 17, 2021, 12:59:18 PM

We need those cut for our safety, obviously they hadn’t brainstormed much as to why it was being cut though.
Devil's advocate here,
Maybe it is people like me that are very upset that their hard earned tax money got put to use destroying their very own trees that are well outside the right of way?

If people were smart enough not to drive 80mph through blind corner forests at night, the highway Dept would not need an "open highway policy" that allows them to waste so much time and money messing up my property. The whole road is like a war zone. Watch out for deer? Slow down and watch out for the angry person that has watched this oak grow from an acorn.
As someone who always drives the speed limit(and believe me people let me know via tailgate) I still have many close calls with deer. I bumped one not too long ago going 50 kmh on the road into town one morning, and my reaction was fast! But the deer jumped out even faster. I do agree they do a lousy job on the cutting, you’re telling me, here on my road, they just cut the tops off about 8 ft under the power line and leave a ugly mess topless tree under. Some property owners will take it upon themselves to fire wood it but it mostly remains a mess.
A1

SwampDonkey

Well, for sure, it seems they are making those pellets more efficient in their approach. But pellets made up here are a way to use up excess pulp and hog material from saw mills. They don't have the pulp or hog fuel market to use it all up that they had 20 years ago. Some sawmills have even turned to making soil supplement, not ash, but the carbon, although the ash is going somewhere, probably mixed in. It's a lot different than mowing down tracts of forest just to make pellets. Seems they have masterminded a scheme to divert their emission problems onto someone else. I would just call it job creation, not emissions curtailment. Call a spade a spade. ;)

I haven't seen the power company clear our lines here since the 1998 ice storm. Other roads around have been cut back, but our road is always on the bottom of the pile of work. The road has not been resurfaced in 30 years and so far they have only patched about a 3rd of it's length and that stopped 2 weeks ago and never been back to finish the job. And a half ashed one at that. :D It's an 80 kph (50 mph) road, I've never gone faster than 60 kph (40 mph) in years, but those Mennonite women don't slacken off the pedal one bit. Bang, bang, bang in those vans and SUV's. No, I'm not picking on them, come on up and see for yourself. :D :D Irving's main woods road is  smoother from Deersdale to McGivney. Maintained better than the DOT dirt road from Cross Creek to Boiestown, which rarely gets graded, no houses. I've always said Irving needs to pay a sir tax on all the public roads their trucks destroy because there's obviously no money to maintain them. I have not seen scales on the 107 from Juniper to Williamsburgh in 10 years. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Riwaka

Western Australia -politicians call time to end the WA indigenous hardwood timber. 

Be interesting to see the short  term/ long term outcome of this decision.
Must have earned some coin at some time in the past to pay for the Tigercat and waratah.

Time's Up: Big changes ahead for WA's native timber industry - Landline

Sailor Mars

The problem isn't environmental activism as a whole, but rather the amount of misinformation that spreads and lack of education that protestors actually have. Instead of researching and studying what they're protesting, they'd rather take the easy path and just gobble up mass media fallacies and take out their misplaced anger on innocent forest workers and loggers.

I agree. Get angry that climate change is killing our planet. Get angry that international corporations are polluting thousands of pounds of waste and getting away with it. Get angry that sustainable energy and resources aren't being funded or advanced like they should be. But don't get angry at some fella cutting down a tree, in an area that is planned to regrow a certain way. Don't get angry at someone for trying to keep a living and put food on the table. And for edited by admin sake, don't get angry at someone while they're on the job having to work in the heat and with heavy machinery all day! As if logging can't be dangerous enough, you're going to shove your camera in someone's face and yell at them about how they're "killing the planet"?

Having a working forest and managing renewable resources properly is not what's killing the planet. Get a grip.

I wish these people would grab a book and sit down and educate themselves rather than spit in the faces of people who provide for them. Wood is an incredibly valuable material and resource and it's probably going to save our planet from all that plastic crap.
Forestry undergrad, forest tech and trail crew work

HemlockKing

Quote from: Sailor Mars on September 22, 2021, 10:11:45 AM
The problem isn’t environmental activism as a whole, but rather the amount of misinformation that spreads and lack of education that protestors actually have. Instead of researching and studying what they’re protesting, they’d rather take the easy path and just gobble up mass media fallacies and take out their misplaced anger on innocent forest workers and loggers.

I agree. Get angry that climate change is killing our planet. Get angry that international corporations are polluting thousands of pounds of waste and getting away with it. Get angry that sustainable energy and resources aren’t being funded or advanced like they should be. But don’t get angry at some fella cutting down a tree, in an area that is planned to regrow a certain way. Don’t get angry at someone for trying to keep a living and put food on the table. And for F’s sake, don’t get angry at someone while they’re on the job having to work in the heat and with heavy machinery all day! As if logging can’t be dangerous enough, you’re going to shove your camera in someone’s face and yell at them about how they’re “killing the planet”?

Having a working forest and managing renewable resources properly is not what’s killing the planet. Get a grip.

I wish these people would grab a book and sit down and educate themselves rather than spit in the faces of people who provide for them. Wood is an incredibly valuable material and resource and it’s probably going to save our planet from all that plastic crap. 
A1

Riwaka

Tasmanian/ Australian Member of Parliament Felix Ellis puts green mps in their place. Ellis got into office on a recount in 2020.

This is the youtube video of Ellis's (Member for Braddon) speech in the Tasmanian State Assembly. (Native Forest logging Tasmania)
nitens = Eucalyptus nitens = gum trees.
Greens Plan to Ban Tassie Native Forestry - YouTube

Ellis Drops Truth Bombs About Greens Plans to Ban Native Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!