The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Carbide teeth wear on a drum mulcher  (Read 460 times)

Offline yumbrad

• Member*
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
Carbide teeth wear on a drum mulcher
« on: July 22, 2021, 05:22:01 PM »
Hi y'all. I have a chunk of land that I wanted to do a lot of selective clearing on, so I bought a fae 150 drum mulch head for my Kubota svl-95. It's been great and I've put a couple hundred hours into mulching, with quite a lot of ground contact (but almost no rocks). The carbides are entirely rounded, and I'm trying to figure out when to replace - don't want to do it too early because UGH they're expensive. And even new, the carbide portion isn't super "sharp" - it seems mostly to bludgeon the tree to death. The "how does it cut" question is wishy-washy, as I and a guy that works for me both use it, and the changes in cutting efficiency are so gradual, we both think it's slower, but not sure how much. Usually you can google for a clear cut answer on something like this, but I found very divergent opinions. So... keep them on until the carbide is worn away entirely? Until the steel around starts to wear away significantly? I've read to watch out for tool damage, but the entire assembly is replaced, so who cares if the steel part gets messed up - or am I missing something? I'll attach a couple pics (if it lets me) of teeth.

Online mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
Re: Carbide teeth wear on a drum mulcher
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 10:55:55 PM »
Isaiah 48:10

Offline treemuncher

• Committed vegetation terrorist since 1997
    • Share Post
    • TreeMuncher.com
Re: Carbide teeth wear on a drum mulcher
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 10:31:09 PM »
Those teeth still look like fairly new to me. They still have the Vee shape on the front of the carbides - lots of hours left on those - they have not gotten a ball peen face on them, yet. When the carbide is hanging out 1/2"-3/4"  further out than the steel under it and has a hook shape to it, it might be time to replace it.

Breaking a single carbide will induce enough vibration to be noticeable and should be changed out. Vibration is what directs me to change out teeth when required. A full new set on my big machine is only $6,000 or so. You should only require about $3,000 plus for a set on that little cutter. Be sure to balance the head when you do change out teeth if you want it to last a long time. Bearings hate vibrations.

TreeMuncher.com  Where only the chosen remain standing

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Forestry Mulcher: HP of track loader vs Type of Mulcher head teeth?

Started by anthonyz on Forestry and Logging

10 Replies
Last post September 08, 2019, 09:50:11 PM
by anthonyz
xx
Drum Mulcher??

Started by jgw028 on Forestry and Logging

1 Replies
Last post October 11, 2019, 08:29:52 AM
by Riwaka
xx
Cat HM418C Mulcher- Which teeth to get?