iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tractors nickel and dime you to poverty! WAS - Buying a new (to me) tractor

Started by grweldon, April 22, 2013, 04:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

JD loaders used to be Westendorf loaders with green paint and JD stickers.  Not sure if they still are ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

grweldon

I checked in to a Westdorf for my tractor... the want about $6300 for the complete loader and hydraulics package.  I only paid $8600 for the tractor, two bush hogs, a disc, a box blade and a hay lift.  I just can't justify it.  That's why I'm looking for a used loader, but they aren't easy to come by...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Left Coast Chris

Another option is to take a welding class at the local Junior College.  Just takes a bit of practice and you are up and going.   :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

grweldon

Don't need a class, just practice.  I've done quite a bit of welding before but nothing that really had to be all that structurally sound.
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

grweldon

Since I started using my tractor last wednesday I've managed to break a PTO shaft while bush mowing (twice - first repair parts order was $103, new shaft was $385), brush dislodged a valve stem on one of my tires giving me a flat and broke the diagonal back brace on my brush cutter, had to tear down a rear tire to fix the valve stem (cheap but really a pain), had to buy some chain and fittings to replace the mower back brace ($30), had to buy 5 gal. hydraulic oil ($55), replace an intake pre-cleaner and buy an operators manual ($65).

This is starting to feel like I own a boat, not a tractor!

beenthere

Ahhh, the real world of a tractor and attachments. Just enjoy the ride and all the things you can do with the new-found toy equipment.  8)

Replacing the brace with chain is a good idea.

Be sure the PTO shaft is the right length and that you are protected with either a shear pin or a working clutch.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Gary_C

Quote from: grweldon on May 06, 2013, 04:17:06 PM
I'm a little bummed about the cost of a new unit and even if I could afford it, I don't know if purchasing a loader for a 25 year-old tractor is a wise choice.  Y'all have any wisdom to share regarding this?

Yes, putting a loader on that tractor may not be your best option. Those tractors and their predecessors the 8N are pretty light in the front end for a loader. The tires are not wide enough to carry the loads, the axles are not strong enough to withstand running over bumps without breaking, and the power steering may not be good enough under loads. Plus with a loader you are either going to need tire chains, fluid in the tires, wheel weights or all of the above in the rear end.

And even though I have done machine design previously, I would not even attempt to build a loader from scratch. Trying to get all the geometry and linkages just right would be a real pain. Now if you don't care if the bucket does not empty very well, or if it dumps all over the driver when raised up all the way, or if you dont care if you fold the bucket cylinders over a few times then go for it.

Yes, I know all too well that good loader tractors are scarce as hens teeth unless you are willing to pay waay too much, but it would be better to look for something like an old backhoe and remove the hoe. The loaders on those things are stout and now that you have a tractor with a PTO and a drawbar, you can look for a more suitable loader machine.

Oh, and from hard experience, if you ever have reason to take a tire off again, be prepared with some short 2" threaded pipe stubs and weld them over the valve stem hole and then screw a 2" pipe cap over the valve stem. Those valve stem protectors should be standard on every tractor/loader rim. Nothing is more frustrating than some little stick that cleans off the valve stem and watching your fluid spraying out all over the place.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

chevytaHOE5674

Sounds like your finding out that "brush" mowers and tractors aren't really suited for mowing down brush. It is hard on gearboxes, PTO parts, clutches, tires, steering, etc etc.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: grweldon on May 13, 2013, 04:22:52 PM
Since I started using my tractor last wednesday I've managed to break a PTO shaft while bush mowing (twice - first repair parts order was $103, new shaft was $385), brush dislodged a valve stem on one of my tires giving me a flat and broke the diagonal back brace on my brush cutter, had to tear down a rear tire to fix the valve stem (cheap but really a pain), had to buy some chain and fittings to replace the mower back brace ($30), had to buy 5 gal. hydraulic oil ($55), replace an intake pre-cleaner and buy an operators manual ($65).

This is starting to feel like I own a boat, not a tractor!

Just remember, you bought a tractor, not a tank!

Herb

Al_Smith

I read this at work but I won't post from a company computor .

I took the liberty of looking for a loader on Craigs list and found one in Ohio for 1200 bucks .John -Deere which probabley could be adapted.

You could not build the frame work,buy the hydraulics and fabricate one that cheaply . It would take some junk yard dawg intuition though to make it work .

grweldon

Quote from: Gary_C on May 13, 2013, 06:13:10 PM
And even though I have done machine design previously, I would not even attempt to build a loader from scratch. Trying to get all the geometry and linkages just right would be a real pain. Now if you don't care if the bucket does not empty very well, or if it dumps all over the driver when raised up all the way, or if you dont care if you fold the bucket cylinders over a few times then go for it.

Gary, I use 3D modeling software and one of the benefits of 3D design is that you can simulate movement.  I have zero doubts that I could get the geometry exactly like it needs to be, in fact, I wasn't worried about the design aspect at all, it is the construction aspect and my welding skills that I was questioning.

As far as buying an old backhoe, if I did, I wouldn't remove the hoe!  I have tons of uses for a backhoe!  Now if I could find one cheap (no such thing) where the hoe didn't work, that's another story!

Thanks for the useful advice Gary...

grweldon

Quote from: PC-Urban-Sawyer on May 13, 2013, 07:53:25 PMJust remember, you bought a tractor, not a tank!

Yeah, I probably expect too much from it, but I'm still learning.  I've already learned a bunch when it comes to what NOT to do!

thecfarm

Watch your tires too!!!! I work my in the woods. I try to cut any small tree real low to the ground.I don't need a 1 inch stump to punch a hole in my rear tire.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pineywoods

gr, google "loader super center" .They likely have one that will just bolt on to your tractor.  I have one of their loaders on an M series kubota. Neighbor has 2 of them. Bunches cheaper than the dealer. Removes with no tools. Put the bucket on the ground, flip 2 levers and back up. I took the bucket off (4 pins) and installed forks.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Al_Smith

I can tell you a couple bone yards if you want to call them.  Roberts farm equipment,Morning Sun Ohio .Anderson tractor ,Bluffton Ohio which is about 15 miles from me .You can Google both of them .

I've been to both yards and they always have loaders sitting around .Again  700 miles away ,road trip .

grweldon

Quote from: pineywoods on May 14, 2013, 09:40:15 AM
gr, google "loader super center" .They likely have one that will just bolt on to your tractor.  I have one of their loaders on an M series kubota. Neighbor has 2 of them. Bunches cheaper than the dealer. Removes with no tools. Put the bucket on the ground, flip 2 levers and back up. I took the bucket off (4 pins) and installed forks.

Thanks Piney, but I'm really not interested in driving to Oklahoma either!  A couple of hundred mile radius of Montgomery would extend in to Georgia, Mississippi and Florida, Might even get just inside Tennessee.  Don't think I'd even get to your place in Louisiana...

Okrafarmer

Okra makes that kind of road trip. Try searching craig's list using Search Tempest.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!