iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pop Up Ads..

Started by realzed, April 19, 2024, 03:23:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realzed

What's with all of the pop up ads going on here on this site now?
Actually more than bothersome - it's past that in that actually it is very hard to read comments or follow posts with all of the screen space at a premium with the garbage covering so much up..
I don't get this with any other sites I visit so it must be specific to this one now mostly..

Andries

Realzed, no need for a new thread on this - look at thread called Forestry Forum Website and a discussion about it. 
I don't think anybody's happy about it, however Jeff's doing what he can, and it'll take a little time and patience to sort it out.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

realzed

Sorry to be so very intrusive and apparently pushy!

I didn't realize (and a warning here - there may be others like me still) that there already was another thread in process about all of this - which I have now read and noted a lot of snarky responses to questions asked about the ad problems.. since I got your response here.. 

So Thanks very much!

Magicman

I can easily see where a topic in a board that one does not normally visit would not be seen, so there can easily be several topics on the same subject. 

The questions that have been asked seem very much in order to me.  Of course we know and realize that all of this pop-up stuff is happening while Jeff is trying to take a few days and enjoy his time off.  

The strange thing to me is that I am seeing ads, but I am not seeing pop-ups.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Al_Smith

Some times I see them and some times not .I just ignore them .i kind of figured any selling using annoying advertisement won't get a dime of my money .

realzed

Quote from: Magicman on April 20, 2024, 09:28:34 PMThe strange thing to me is that I am seeing ads, but I am not seeing pop-ups.
I got a copy of DuckDuckGo browser- which seems to work fairly well to get rid of a lot of the crap - be it Pop Ups or Advertisements that cover the screen when using normal Explorer - but it almost works too well and makes replying to a threat comment or quoting on someone's previous comment and bit harder and responding - but it can be done here obviously..

Magicman

Yes, I use DDG and have for several years.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Spike60

I get it that the owners have a right to earn income from the site. And ads on the periphery are not that intrusive. But the "in your face" nature of pop ups is seriously annoying. If they start to show up when private messaging, I'm outta here. Beyond that that dopey advertisers are hardly getting their money's worth, with rotating ads that are CLEARLY  targeting some audience quite far removed from the Foresry Forum demographic. Anything for a buck, right?
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Southside

And yet here you advertise your business in your signature.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Greenhighlander

I haven't seen any of these pop ups .   

Ad block plus is free and works great .   

Jeff

Yea anything for a buck. Kiss my ass  how about anything to help pay the bills because ive dedicated half my life makeing a resource available to you and for you that did not, without ever asking anything in return.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Spike60

Quote from: Southside on April 21, 2024, 09:55:02 PMAnd yet here you advertise your business in your signature. 
Sort of. But not a pop up. Also, the store has been closed since Dec 2023 when I retired. That phone number is dead. I have looked into deleting that, but couldn't figure it out. So, if you can get rid of that sig, please do.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

21incher

Sounds  to me like the company  running the adds has taken it from a good working model to most using add blockers in 2 weeks. That's what happens when you load sites with annoying pop up videos from companies that have nothing  to do with  the forum topic. So sad I agreed to the terms they have assumed for control of our machines and content.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Jeff

I have not been on a desktop for 2 weeks, so I have not witnessed what the add company had done with changes there. I was on mobile in the u.p. and at Jakes projects.  I saw the mobile issue and it was mostly resolved.  This morning I see the desktop issue and for me it is intolerable.  I will make sure that is taken care of now too.  When you guys make remarks about ownership and stuff, you know who the f takes care of this forum .    Just say it, Jeff will do anything for a buck.  Those that really know me and that are my friends know that is 5!@#%^&*.  I'm a simple man with simple needs and have never ever been driven by the money.  If not fopr the generosity of a member, allowing me to travel to Georgia this last weekend with him to meet with a gathering of Forum members, I would of had to sit home.

I'll figure it out, but I am getting real tired of the ridicule and comments coming from every direction. The next thing you may see is a sold sign. Then see what you get.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Spike60

Didn't mean to set you off Jeff. My comment was more of a "this is the world we live in" nature than singling out you, or the site in particular. Sorry I didn't tighten it up better than that. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Al_Smith

I have no idea how they do it but some can sneak in pop up's or other annoying things and it's not just advertiing to sell something .Some years ago only having one computor my deceased wife had an instant message thing that would block out everything .Like on flea bay which I was real good at snipe bidding(,last second bid .)Every so often one of her friends at 2AM  in the morning had to tell her something which was 10 seconds away from me dumping the snipe  bid .Bought another computor with no instant message nonsense what so ever , that solved that . .

Thank You Sponsors!