iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What up Benches?

Started by doc henderson, February 06, 2019, 10:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

Thought i would put up a few more pics of how I make legs fit on rustic benches.

radial drill press with adjustable table to make compound matching holes for legs.  One setting will get two opposite corners, then tilt the head the other way to do the final two corners
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

i make most of my benches 16 inches tall, so I have a right angle 16" tall jig to help guide the pull saw.

trimming the legs in one plane

some of my first benches were a little cockeyed.  i use tenon cutters i got from lee valley and use a forstner bit to drill matching angled holes.  since the seat and 4 sides are square to each other, and the seat goes down on the drill press bed, they turn out pretty good.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

opticsguy

Great work, design and craftsmanship.  Thanks for sharing!!!
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

WV Sawmiller

I make the legs using a tenon cutter and a half inch drill after putting them in a vice. I angle 1-1/2" mortises using a spade bit in my drill, drive the legs in from the bottom and cut the excess length off with a Japanese pull saw with set on one side. I usually use 2" LE planks now for benches. Plenty strong and light enough to move around - I tried 4" and was too heavy. Then I put the bench upside down on my mill, clamp it good, spread the band wide,set the height to 17" and make one pass cutting all four (Sometimes 5 if a sharp curve makes the bench off balance) legs at one pass so they are all the same height and same angle. They fit level on a flat surface.

Apply glue and drive legs in from bottom

Then I saw the excess inch or so off with a J. pull saw so it is flush with the top of the bench.

Put bench upside down on mill, set to 17", one pass of the blade and finished.

They set straight and level then.

With sharp curves a 5th leg is needed to keep them from tilting backwards when you sit in the middle of the bench.

I also drive a steel wedge in the top of the leg to spread and hold it tight like an ax head on a handle.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

great idea WV. a lot faster,  I spend 1/2 hour my way.  

Old Greenhorn

Doc, fine work, nice setups. 2 questions: A) whose tenon cutter do you use (I am in the market), and 2) what glue do you use?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

I bought a range of sizes 3/4 up to 2"  6 different ones.  you get a discount for buying a set.  It is nice to step down the tenon especially if starting square.  i.e. 2 inch, then 1.5 inch, then 1.25 inch.  I bought these from lee valley, a Canadian company.  I have been happy with them.  they have a screw to fasten the blade to the side of the body so it can be sharpened on a 2 inch sanding drum in a drill press or oscillating sander.  I actually made a rig on the back of that radial drill press to hold a leg.  spin the press around 180 ( head facing the back) use the tenon cutter in the press.  It is easier to shut down in a hand held.  they sell a rig to hold the log and drill like a sideways press.  It is best to do this to green wood, but I am often doing it to dry wood.  In benches, you don't want green leg material in a tenon cause it will be loose when it dries and shrinks.  When I have stuff left over from a log, I cut a bunch of 2x2s and a size bigger and smaller.  I have two 55 gallon barrels filled with these 8 foot long pieces waiting to be used for legs.  Lee Valley (verritus)sp also has a lot of old fashion toys and reprints of old books that are fun and inexpensive.

WV Sawmiller

Mine is a Lumberjack 1-1/2". I just bought the one size and not a whole set as benches were all I planned to make. I a well pleased with the quality. You do need a good high torque drill and a drill press or lathe would probably be better. You can break a wrist if you are not careful.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

OG, I buy titebond 3 by the gallon.  most of these "rustic" benches are nice enough people don't put them outside.  The fit is adjustable so the glue just seals up the joint.  But would be weatherproof if desired.  I took a few more pics of the radial drill press, with a cutter chucked up and with a leg in the angle iron I fabbed to the back of the stand.

Note the bracket and angle iron to hold a leg,  press in the "forward" configuration.

makes it more stable, easier to center tenon.  there is a level to help when doing this free hand.  i always rout the corners first to help center the tenon cutter.  A bit of art.  best on greener/wet wood.  there is a set screw and an adjustment screw on the cutter so you can fine tune the size of the tenon for the hole.  also built in area to put the blade for sharpening on a 2 inch radius drum sander.

doc henderson

Here are some closer shots of the cutters.  these make a curved shoulder and I use a corresponding forstner bit

you can see the cutter in the first two left to right, the level for hand drill horizontal in the 3rd, the curve in the side with a holding screw for sharpening on a drum sander or drill press mounted 2 inch drum on # 4

tops

bottom

adjustment and set screw mechanism

side grove to hold blade for sharpening.  body sets flat on oscillating sander or drill press holding the blade to sharpen

Old Greenhorn

Thanks Doc. I was on the Lee valley site a couple of days ago and could not find any tenon cutters. These are a little pricey for me given the amount of use they would get, but I like your idea of progressive sizing. 1-1/2 was my goal. Just a few benches for around here and my neighbor's place and his fire pit, so they might stay out in the weather. Right now he has some benches I whipped up from slabs and log ends, pretty rough and quick. I have to check my tool crib and see if I still have that 1/2 inch, 1/2 HP hand drill. That's a beast and should work, then I need to make some kind of holding jig.
 You make some pretty stuff.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

WV Sawmiller

I like the idea of incrementally reducing the size tenon cutter till you get to the target size. Since I only have the one size I use a draw knife to knock the corners off and reduce the amount of starting wood. They turn a lot easier green but like Doc said, using dry wood for legs is better for the shrinkage. I have read if the bench green and the leg is dry the drying bench will even help tighten on the leg. The shrinkage is why I use the wedges. 
Howard Green

doc henderson

I found power tenon cutters on LeeValley Veritas site.  But the 6 tenon set is now 600 $ instead of 300 i paid 10 years ago.  I agree you can find other ways to get the diam. in the ball park like a drawknife or router

Old Greenhorn

Thanks Doc, yeah, after I saw your previous post I went back and did a direct search and found them. I especially like the way those are 'tweakable' for size refinements, but they are pricey. There are other brands USA made that I will probably try. I need to generate some hobby cash first. I see so much stuff I want to try and learn myself to do, that I can't do it all, yet. Too many irons in the fire, my Dad used to say, pick one and work it til it's cold, then move on to the next. My neighbor, bless his heart, says he doesn't understand why I spend my free time working my butt off. I tell him 2 things 1) Time isn't free, and 2) I am not working, I am playing very hard.
 Sorry I didn't reply last night, I am going through a pretty depressive period and tough times at work. I was in bed around 7:30 last night. Just can't seem to get or stay motivated.
 Today is a new day right?

doc henderson

No worries. I was just glad I had not sent you to a dead end.  I work my last scheduled shift today at The Childrens Hospital E.D. (I can work as needed)  to be closer to home.  You do what ever you need to do, we are all here for you.

I kept asking questions about a meeting they wanted to have before my last shift, so I feel bad but figured out they are having a going away party.  It will be hard since we are like a family.

doc henderson

latest bench last night

blue stained pine seat, 11 x 19 inches.

Old Greenhorn

ah, you do nice work. It must be nice to have a solid backup skill in case that 'Physician thing' doesn't work out.  smiley_smash lol lol

doc henderson

It helps me so I do not yell at work.  maintains my current level of sanity, what ever that is!

Old Greenhorn

smiley_clapping smiley_blue_bounce smiley_bounce smiley_turkey_dancing 8)

WV Sawmiller

Doc,

I can certify being sane is not a requirement for membership here. In fact it could be a disadvantage at times. pc_smiley think_not electricuted-smiley air_plane
Howard Green

hacknchop

Hey Doc those  are some nice benches. 
Often wrong never indoubt

samandothers

Doc
You do nice work!  I like the look of the log, a nice change from slab.   Also the drill press is pretty slick!  Nice rig and jigs.   

doc henderson

OK you guys have blown so much smoke up my asthma, so I finally got this one done.  it is for the CMO/ER doc at the hospital who's baby had an ACL tear, and cannot get up on the bed with her.

made out of pine to match their furniture, 16 x 19 inches to be stable, 13 inches tall to be 1/2 the height of the bed.  This is my third dog step.  the ones on line tend to be 4 inch steps with 3 steps to get up on a bed.  Not really designed for dogs.  I have the friend measure the bed. just in case anyone was wondering!

Old Greenhorn

OK Doc, you got me good on that one! When you said 'baby', I am thinking infant, as in human and then I am trying to figure out A) how does and infant get an ACL tear, and 2) Why is a parent letting an infant attempt to climb on on the bed instead of carrying said infant to a safe place on the bed, and C) how is it that an infant is even ambulatory enough to attempt such a thing.
 Then I figured it out. No, the paw prints were not my first clue (shamefully). But your explanation was. And no, I didn't raise an eyebrow at how you knew the bed height, it was a simple question to ask and get an answer.
 I could say I feel stupid, but I had too much fun laughing at myself. You should too. Babies climbing up on beds, imagine the picture in my head. :D :D

doc henderson

well OG, I kinda did that on purpose, and we always enjoy a good laugh.  Of course she is my age, and her humans are all in college, so that is how she refers to her boxer.  The hard part is training the dog to put her paw on the ink pad and then on the board, then back on the ink pad, then back on the board.  hard to keep them organized enough to make a cute pattern, but then they get bored and run around the house.  I will be in so much trouble when my wife gets home.  hahaha. running-doggy  oz_smiley  laugh_at  smiley_beertoast

Thank You Sponsors!