iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Frame Workshop

Started by Zeke, November 09, 2005, 09:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeke

So, I'm thinking of going to a timber frame workshop. My wife's been asking me what I want for Christmas and I think it would be great.  I'm trying to deciede between these
http://www.timberframeschool.com/timberframeschool/shopapprenticeships.htm
http://www.timberframemag.com/TimberFramingWorkshops.htm#GoshenPlans
http://www.grandoakstimberframing.com/Workshop2photo.html

Any opinions? Got a better idea?

Zele

ohsoloco

Are you thinking workshop or apprenticeship  ???  Apprenticeships usually don't cost you anything ('cept a registration fee), and you get a place to stay for free.  I did one at Cowee Mountain.  Anything you'd like to know? 

I say do it  ;D

Zeke

How long were you there? I don't know if I can be away from work for a full three weeks. So, I may have to do one of the week long workshops. I may be able to work it out, if I can get internet accesss. I do a lot of work from home anyway. If I didn't have other obligations, I would do a six month apprenticeship.   

Zeke

Deadwood

In my humble opinion, any workshop or class you go to is worth the time and money. You make new friends that are like minded, you learn simple things that you would not have thought of, never mind the major points that you went there to learn in the first place.

If I had three choices to consider, I would look at which one you would spend the most time at and the cost. Content really is minor because if there is something special you really want to learn, most instructors will provide it for you. Eager students are always worth teaching. At the same time, you might meet another student that excells at what you want and there is just no way you can foresee what and where your conversations will take you with the other students in the class.

One thing you will hear me say, and say often, is that there is no one person here who is smarter than all of us put together.

ohsoloco

Zeke, I was there for three weeks.  Actually, the only reason I was able to go that long was b/c I went the end of June and into July (back then we got all of our vacation days for the year the 1st of July).  Your best be would be to start calling these places and talk to them.  There wasn't any internet access at Cowee (back then at least), and if I remember correctly the woman at Goshen said they DO have internet in the humble bunk house.   I'm sure you could get internet at the library in Franklin if you go to Cowee. 

I met some really cool people, and talked about timber framing with other people that were interested in it for three weeks...doesn't get much better  ;)

mark davidson

we run weekend courses in ontario if you'd like to visit the great white north
this year is finished, but we'll be starting up again in late jan.
www.wpltree.ca
:)

Jim_Rogers

Zeke:
Another idea would/could be to host a workshop, same as Joey Lowe did in Texas.
We can get some timbers and a plan, I'll come to your place and teach you and others timber framing.
You get the frame when done.
Just an idea......

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Zeke

Jim,

I like the idea. I'll email you off list about it.

Greg

Quote from: Zeke on November 11, 2005, 11:18:59 AM
Jim,

I like the idea. I'll email you off list about it.

Hey Zeke,

If you and Jim Rogers manage to put together a workshop at your place, I'll do my best to attend! The further out in advance you schedule it, the better. Gotta get the calendar ok from the boss ;-)

I'm just east of Cincy, approx 2 to 3 hours from you.

Greg

Greg

Quote from: Deadwood on November 10, 2005, 04:47:23 PM
In my humble opinion, any workshop or class you go to is worth the time and money. You make new friends that are like minded, you learn simple things that you would not have thought of, never mind the major points that you went there to learn in the first place.

If I had three choices to consider, I would look at which one you would spend the most time at and the cost. Content really is minor because if there is something special you really want to learn, most instructors will provide it for you. Eager students are always worth teaching. At the same time, you might meet another student that excells at what you want and there is just no way you can foresee what and where your conversations will take you with the other students in the class.

One thing you will hear me say, and say often, is that there is no one person here who is smarter than all of us put together.

I agree with this. I would suggest attending several weekend or weeklong workshops at different places, rather than spending a six week chunk anywhere.

Every different workshop, raising, or rendezvous I go to I learn something different. Some good some bad. Seeing the broad perspective of how different people approach building timber frames is almost as vailuable as the workshop itself.

Greg

Zeke

If we can work things out. Mainly me that is. I'll be sure to announce it here on the forum. So, far things look positive.

Zeke

Quote from: Greg on November 16, 2005, 10:17:54 AM

Hey Zeke,

If you and Jim Rogers manage to put together a workshop at your place, I'll do my best to attend! The further out in advance you schedule it, the better. Gotta get the calendar ok from the boss ;-)

I'm just east of Cincy, approx 2 to 3 hours from you.

Greg

beetle

Workshop in Ohio? Count me in if you work things out.
Too many hobbies...not enough time.

shopteacher

If the timing's right I'd also be interested in attending.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Tremel

If there is a workshop in Oh., I'm in.  And I bet I can get some others to attend.
Bill Tremel
Claysville, PA
Collector of Antique engines, Trucks, tractors and hobby farmer.

Greg

Quote from: Tremel on November 17, 2005, 10:23:53 AM
If there is a workshop in Oh., I'm in.  And I bet I can get some others to attend.

Cool, it sounds like there is a lot of pent up timberframe workshop demand in Ohio ;-)

Greg

Zeke

Well, this sounds encouraging. I'm going to have to make time and see if it's going to be possible on my end. I'll have a lot of work to do to get everything ready.

Zeke

ohsoloco

Jim, I was hoping you could make a list of what someone would need to host a timber framing workshop.  It always takes so long to cut your own frame, and this sounds like a great idea to get help, make some new friends, and gain a LOT of information  :) 

If I ever did something like this, I'd could supply the timbers, but was wondering what else needs to be in the equation.

Jim_Rogers

I'll write something up later and post it when I have time......

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

ohsoloco

Thanks, Jim.  That would give me a nice "to do" list if I get serious about hosting one  :)

moosehunter

Zeke,
Keep us posted, if it is a weekend thing I want in.
moosehunter
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

bporter

Sounds like a good thing!  I would surely be interested, along with a couple of friends.  I'll keep checkin' on the progress of this idea.
I've been to a few barn workshops  and conferences and need more hands on training.

Squirrell_Boy

Hi Zeke,

I met a member of the TF Guild from Ohio a couple years ago at the Phelps Barn Rendezvous in Illinois. I believe he lives near Dayton. He is a great guy and a lot of fun to work with and a good teacher. You might want to contact other Guild members in Ohio and talk with them to see if you can get some experience close by if an opportunity arises. It doesn't cost much to join the Guild and you will get a member directory.
"Of course we don't know what we're doing. That's why they call it research." Albert Einstein

Tremel

Any update on this???  I'm getting the itch.   ;D
Bill Tremel
Claysville, PA
Collector of Antique engines, Trucks, tractors and hobby farmer.

Thank You Sponsors!