iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

changing a pulp grapple to bypass

Started by EricR, May 27, 2011, 06:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EricR

I know is is sort of an odd question but i have a small pulp grapple which is on what was determined to be a gafner loader, and want to turn it into a bypass.  I dont have a picture of it.  from what i see its a big process to change it and will require a lot of cutting and welding and some new pistons which almost seems not worth it, but was wondering if anyone on here has done it and may have a simpler approach to it then i am thinking. 

Maine372

if you arent worried about the capacity of the grapple some guys have welded a peice of steel on the inside of each half so the grapple will close tighter on smaller wood.

if theres a used equipment yard around they might have a bypass grapple that will go inplace of your pulp grapple, or the jaws might swap over. my dad had a prentice grapple with two sets of jaws, one butt type the other bypass.

Taylortractornut

I just  cut out a set of jaws and a frame for a bypass type grapple.    Im keeping the patterns for it so I can burn more.   When its tested Ill post a few pics.
My overload permit starts after sunset

EricR

some pics would be great.  I tried a few things with plating but i didnt cut the arch right and still wasnt working.  so after i wasted some nice stock i figured i would see if i could see some pictures before i tried again.  Something to insert that could be removed with some bolts would be great because i do move 4 footers for firewood from time to time.   

bill m

NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

EricR

bill m thats what i want.  i know you have if for sale and i was really tempted to write you a message about it and come take a look, i just dont know if i can swing it right now.  about how small will it close up to?

a old timberjack

Quote from: bill m on May 28, 2011, 07:34:44 AM
Is this what you want to build?

i just scraped one of them :D i see them around for 3 to 500 bucks complete.
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

Jeff

You couldn't get a worn out broken down grapple around here for 3 to 500. Maybe just the iron needing re-pinned and bushed you might.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

treefarmer87

there is a used one like that on a 110 that is at the junkyard around here for about $200. its not in as good of shape as bill m's though. all the hoses would have to be replaced. i should have got it but  i already have one
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

bill m

I'm guessing it will close to about 4 inches maybe 5.

tapper2

I have that exact grapple and it will close to around7"-8". Usually you can find a decent truck mounted grapple crane, grab the grapple off it and try to resell the crane. There are some around.... Just may have to work a bit. I picked up mine for a decent price, it was mounted on a c60 truck. Took it off and mounted the whole assembly on my trailer.
If you're a Craigslist fan, try using www.searchtempest.com You can search many areas at one time. That's how I found my skidder, truck, trailer....etc.
Belsaw m14, 1992 Ford 1720, Homebuilt  bandmill, Franklin 120b & a bunch of worn out, banged up stuff........gotta love it.

bill m

Tapper2, I don't think you have an exact duplicate because I have changed most of this grapple. The original tines on the near side were 1/2 inch plate and the new ones I made are 3/4. The round tube where the cylinder attaches is 4 inch o.d. and 1 inch i.d. It did have 8 inch channel iron that kept breaking. The cylinders were tie rod with 3.5 inch bore X 1.5 inch rods. I bent three of them before I got 4 inch bore with 2 inch rods.

tapper2

....Looks the same, guess the devil's in the details. Looks good!! ;)

Regardless,........spend some time and "Google is your friend", you should be able to find a decent replacement.
Belsaw m14, 1992 Ford 1720, Homebuilt  bandmill, Franklin 120b & a bunch of worn out, banged up stuff........gotta love it.

a old timberjack

those old ones are around, keep looking, agian, they are not worth much. , no offence but they are way old school. good luck, they are around!
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

EricR

old timberjack.  Im on the south coast of mass so im not too far from you.   if you see any for sale, if you think if it let me know.  Thanks, Eric

Taylortractornut

Making my arches for grapples  I use scrap plywood  an boards and dowels t o make mock ups so not to waste iron.   I need to post a few pics  in another post once  i get some pics loaded.   All the little  grapples here are gone  to scrap.     Im working on a pattern now for a single cylinder grapple like Barbender has.
My overload permit starts after sunset

tapper2

I know it's been a while on this topic but check this out.

Log Grapel - $800 (Pattersonville)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-09-14, 9:24AM EDT
Reply to: see below [Errors when replying to ads?]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a log grapel that woorks good. It opens upto 25+ inches. In fair shape for $800 If interested you can call (518) 878-5021 or (518) 337-6853

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2587550959

No contact info?  if the poster didn't include a phone number, email, or
other contact info, craigslist can notify them via email.   

Copyright © 2011 craigslist, inc. terms of use privacy policy feedback forum

Thank You Sponsors!