iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

persimmons trees

Started by marty, January 31, 2001, 11:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty

I watch a hunting show a while back where the fellow hunted over a stand of these persimmon trees. The beauty about these is that they only drop a few at a time. I found a site that sells them and they said they can stand down to 25 below zero. I heard from friend of mine that he use to see these grow in southern michigan and I was wondering if they would grow here in northeast mi. Anyone ever tried these rascals?
                            marty8)??????

Forester Frank

Marty:

I bet they would grow, but they may not grow well. They are all over the place in Mississippi (where I used to live). As you know the flatlanders have a better growing season, and better soil types than folks in northern Michigan (zone 3-4).

If you want them, then I say plant them. Try a company in Kalamazoo called OIKOS, and pronounced EKOS. A guy by the name of Ken Asmus runs a nursery there and the stock I have received has always been in good condtion.

Good luck! Catching any fish over there?
Forester Frank

Ron Scott

Yes, we are out of its normal range, just a little too far north. But it does grow since there are some around this area used as landscaping trees. It's difficult to transplant though due to its taproot. It's most common in the South Atlantic and Gulf States and grows best in the bottom lands of the Mississippi River Valley. It does grow in a range of conditions and should do ok in the Michigan fruit belt areas. As Frank said, check with a reliable nursery for recommendations on its specific stock.
~Ron

Effja Rokawba

Ron, I got a seed catalog today and that reminded me that spring is on the way. What is a good time of year to start thinking about ordering trees. Now?
I plan on listing nursuries and other info for a timberbuyer.net feature if anyone would like to contibute info...

marty

Thanks for the info Going to try some and see how they do.We're getting some perch through the ice.
A couple small pike on tip ups.........marty

Forester Frank

My brother and I killed the bluegills near Gaylord last weekend! And that's no Crappie.;D;D
Forester Frank

Effja Rokawba

Otsego, or one of the little lakes?

Forester Frank

Small but deep. About 25 acres in size and about 50 feet deep. Spring fed. I'm not giving the location, but I am sure an underground aquifer feeds the headwaters of the Sturgeon River.
Forester Frank

Effja Rokawba

Ok. Someday when You aint cruisin' and I aint sawing, and if I promise to wear a blindfold...

Ron Scott

Yes, one should start thinking about their spring tree and wildlife shrub planting needs soon. The Conservation Districts are putting their spring sale lists together and will be going out with them soon for orders.
A good idea to list the Nurseries and where planting stock can be obtained. Include the County Conservation Districts also as a source of information and planting stock. They also can provide landowners with names of tree planters in the area if needed.
~Ron

marty

Going to go to see my conservation district tommorow. Just hope my back holds out this year. Going to try to get my daughters church group over to help me plant trees. Maybe even try the boy scouts also. Well got to get to bed those perch will be calling my name in the morn.....marty

Forester Frank

Ron that's a good comment about the Soil Conservation Districts (SCD's), or whatever they call them now. If readers do not know, the SCD's are not overly paid, and purchasing nursery stock through them puts money back into their district. That money in turn helps pay for conservation projects that promote good forestry, soil, and water conservation.

Lake City, MI has a nice nursery on M-55. I forget the name, but I bet Ron knows. Northern Pine maybe??? They may also like to join the network Jeff.
Forester Frank

Don_Pridgen

Not to get off track, I did saw some 'simmon last year for Eric the box guy,He called it the White Ebony, was right nice wood. Golf woods come from it,maybe a planting is worthwhile. My wife used to make a killer pudding from some big boys growing in Duke Forest they were definitely harvestable I think that section was about 40yrs old. You boys really walk out onto ice,call me when those perch fly south.

Jeff

Don, we not only walk out on the ice, some of us drive out. On Houghton Lake I have seen caravans of motor homes parked in a circle with people fishing in the center.

I personally don't drive on the ice after a close call on a bay in the U.P. we were following tracks in the snow, when we spotted a dark spot ahead. Turned out the 3 foot of ice we were driving on abruptly thinned out over a submerged rock pile that held heat and kept safe ice from forming. Luckily, someone before us was unlucky. The water was not deep and we heard they only broke through, but did not go through.

Icq and the others are on line messaging programs that some people use. fact is I use MSN messenger, and it is not supported by our forum.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

by the way Don, you were putting this thread back on track!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!