iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

used 046

Started by TRUSSMAN, September 30, 2005, 03:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRUSSMAN

i have stock 046 that I would like to get extra performance out of. 
thanks in advance,
TRUSSMAN
Stihl
046 EHP

jokers

Hi Trussman,

Your statement is a little bit vague. How much more performance are you looking to get and what are you going to use it for?

The most bang for your buck is the factory dual port muffler cover and a carb adjustment if your saw doesn`t already have it. You could also modify the existing cover.

Have you ever rebuilt the carb or changed the metering diaphragm? Throttle response and topend will get sluggish over time with a stretched diaphragm.

Russ

TRUSSMAN

sorry, Russ i   shouldhave more specific.  i would like to increace HP.  i have the better you let something breathe the better it will perform, i guess this is true in chainsaws also.  you mentioned a factory dual port muffler, this will help get air out, is there a hi-flow air filter to get more air in. If there is
do you have any idea how much  power i will gain.

Reason for wanting to do this is, my dad has an 056.  I would like to cut with or beat him, and i don't know if my stock saw will do it.

Thans,
TRUSSMAN
Stihl
046 EHP

jokers

Hi Trussman,

The consensus seems to be that you should expect to pick up 1/2 hp by opening the muffler on a modern, restricted saw. I don`t know how this figure was arrived at other than to say empirically, for example comparing a saw with a listed hp of 5 and an opened muffler to a saw listed as having 5.5 hp. 

Anyway, opening the muffler or using the dual port cover is worthwhile.

High flow air filters are available for the 046 like this Max Flow, item # SAF 046 from baileys-online.com[img width=300 --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/albums/v653/groundsforum/SAF_044.jpg[/img]

I still think that you are going to have your hands full taking on an 056. If you really want to beat him, work on your sharpening and cutting technique. If that doesn`t work, have the saw ported.

Russ

fishhuntcutwood

Quote from: TRUSSMAN on October 01, 2005, 08:05:03 AM
Reason for wanting to do this is, my dad has an 056.  I would like to cut with or beat him, and i don't know if my stock saw will do it.

Tell him you can beat him a leg race while carrying the saw because your 46 weighs something like 6 lbs less than his 56.  :D

I don't mean to be a smart @$$, but I own one of each of those saws, and I agree with Russ and the advice he's given.   There isn't much more to say.  I do know that I pick my my 460 more than I do my 56S.  Purely for weight and maneuverability reasons.  Both are great saws, but I think that each fills a separate niche.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

TRUSSMAN

thanks, i think i will get a dual port cover and one of those high flow filters and see what happens.  I have also heard some people mention 7 or 8 tooth sprockets, is one going to make much difference over the other.
thanks,
TRUSSMAN
Stihl
046 EHP

fishhuntcutwood

An 8 pin will turn the chain faster than a 7 pin...at the expense of torque.  It's just like putting a larger gear on your saw.  So because of the decrease in torque, I don't like to run an 8 pin on longer bars, even on a 44 or 46.  I've got an old 44 that is strictly for firewood use.  I run it with a 24" and an 8 pin.  My 440 that I use in timber has a 28" and a 7 pin.  I can sacrifice Q in firewood applications, but can't in timber. 

I don't race saws, but if you're wanting to race your dad it'd be a little trick to get some extra chain speed.  Just keep your bar short, and don't lean on it too much.  Russ would know better than I.  And a full comp chain will always cut faster than a full skip...ain't that right Russ!!  ;)

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

Captain

I run an 8 spline rim on my mildly modded MS460 and a 20" bar.  ALMOST keeps up with the 066.

Captain.

TRUSSMAN

thanks for all the dvice everyone.  Captain, what mods did you make to your saw?  I am thinking a 8 spline rim, the max-flow air filter, and either a "Walkerized" muffler or a factory dual port.  Is there a noticeable difference between the "Walkerized" muffler and a factory dual port?  Either way I think with thes mods that 056 will know I am there.
Thanks,
TRUSSMAN
Stihl
046 EHP

jokers

Quote from: fishhuntcutwood on October 02, 2005, 02:31:45 PM
I don't race saws, but if you're wanting to race your dad it'd be a little trick to get some extra chain speed.  Just keep your bar short, and don't lean on it too much.  Russ would know better than I.  And a full comp chain will always cut faster than a full skip...ain't that right Russ!!  ;)

Jeff

Jeff, it`s a qualified yes to your statement regarding full comp cutting faster. On Trussman`s 046 with a 20" or 24" bar in hardwood where chip clearance shouldn`t be a big problem, the full comp should be clearly faster. If he were running a 32" bar or longer, especially in resinous wood, the skip would pull the chips clear better and cutting would be more efficient, ie; faster.

When deciding how hard to push, you have to be able to hear the engine and understand what it`s doing. Is it revving too freely, or conversely, is it bogging? You want to find the happy medium between fully loading the saw`s engine and overloading it to the point where the engine slows too much. With an 8 tooth gear on a basically stock 046, I don`t think that Trussman will want to push real hard.

Trussman, I don`t think that you will find a significant difference in performance between the Walkerized muffler and the factory dual port. Whatever floats your boat.

Russ

jokers

One more thing Trussman, if you want to impress your Dad with the speed of your 046, keep the wood at 16" or below where the monster torque of his 056 will be a less significant factor than your higher chain speed.

Russ

Thank You Sponsors!