iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fair Price for WoodMizer LT40 Manual?

Started by MountainWood, August 14, 2004, 08:00:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainWood

Don't ask me what is possessing me to do this but I am "kicking the tires" on a mid-nineties vintage Woodmizer mill with 90 hrs on it. Comes with 6 blades, sharpener, resetting unit, and peavey on a trailer for $10,500. It's the one without hydraulics. What do you think?

Being realistic, I don't have visions of self-employment, but I am thinking it may augment my income a little. More likely it will hurt my golf game by giving me way too much to do over the weekends :D. The smell of fresh sawdust is intoxicating.

As you probably figured, I am a newbie with some experience on a LT15, so be gentle.  Thank you so much for your replys

AG

My prayers go out to folks in Florida hit by H. Charley.
I saw, therefore I am.

Paschale

Hi there,

I'm no expert myself on operating Woodmizers, but I just bought a used LT40 myself.  It turns out that Woodmizer has a "blue book" of sorts for their equipment, so if you call Woodmizer with all the info, they can give you what they feel is the fair market value.  Now, how true to life that is, perhaps others on the forum can give you insight on that.  But at least it's a reference point that can give you some idea of whether it's a fair price or not.  Here's their number:  1.800.553.0182. If you have the serial number, they can tell you exactly what year it was made too.  If I understand correctly, the first four numbers give a clue as to the month and year it was manufactured:  on mine, those are 0385, so I believe it was made in March of 1985.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out for you!

Dan M.

P.S. Welcome to the forum!  You'll like it here!   8)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

MemphisLogger

Sounds like a sweet deal to me!  :)

I don't have hydraulics either (LT-30) but I can load, turn and saw anything a hydraulic mill can (big peaveys and a little winch power help).  ;D

If you get it, send me a note and I'll tell you how we move'em without pressurized fluids. 8)
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Bibbyman

Welcome MountainWood,

Do you know the year and engine make and size?  Been kept inside or under cover?  

If it's newer LT40 and has a larger engine and been kept out of the weather,  I'd say the 10,500 ain't far off.  I think the sharpener and seter are about $2,000 new.

A new LT15 w/trailer package and blade sharpener would probably cost about the same but you'd be getting a lot more mill with power feed,etc.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

MountainWood

"Do you know the year and engine make and size?  Been kept inside or under cover?"

Year 1996 (I think)

Onan 24 HP

Outside but covered
I saw, therefore I am.

Bibbyman

The 24hp Onan is a big plus.  The best and biggest engine offered on the standard LT40 in those years. I don't know about the newer Onan engines but I've heard a lot of good things about the older ones.  I think it was about $500 upgrade from the standard 18hp B&S.

With the 24 Onan you can add a debarker and such because it's got the alternater on it. And I think the 96 is new enough to add things like Simple Setworks - if that's an interest to you.

It' likely to need new belts at least and maybe the wireing checked out - mice you know.

You may want to check out the Wood-Mizer mill service plans - if you decide to buy.  It'd be a good investment to make sure everything is up to snuff.   With the service plan,  I think they include training.

Wood-Mizer Sawmill Service Plans

It's too good a mill to let set... :-/
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!