iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Powermatic Planer Model 160 Question?

Started by Deese, April 12, 2017, 11:15:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deese

I 've got a Powermatic planer. It's been sitting in the barn for years and is seldom used.
Is it possible to put a spiral cutterhead on this thing?

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Kbeitz

There is a place in Williamsport Pa that makes custom spiral cutterheads.

Hermance
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WDH

Check with Powermatic.  If you can't put the spiral head on it, you could sell it and re-invest the $ in a modern planer with the spiral head.  Spiral heads are better than sliced bread (old saying).  Once you do spiral head, there is no going back to blades  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Napoleon1

Yes,look up Shelix. They have spiral head for just about every planer

woodworker9

I would suggest that you get it up and running and try it with the 3 knife head before investing $1800 in a spiral head from Shelix.  Having been around the block about 10 times on this very subject, I can tell you that this planer is 10 times better than any 4 post "modern" planer you will find available today, unless you're going to invest in a commercial unit for about $12K or more.

I have completely rebuilt 2 of these, and currently own a 20" 221D made by Powermatic in 1957.  It's my "finish" planer, and has basically the same cutterhead and setup that you have on the 160.  Unless you're a luthier who is working with veneer grade highly figured timbers, there's no need for a spiral cutterhead.  This planer leaves as good of a finish with properly set up and sharp knives.  There are subtle changes you can adjust into a planer like this that are not possible with the modern 4 post asian/taiwanese made "modern" planers that will allow a superb finish.  Powermatic put out documents on how to set this planer up for the different types of timber you wish to plane, and the adjustments are easy to make with a few wrenches and a dial indicator......tools you should already have in your tool kit.

A shelix head will still leave a scalloped surface on the wood, and will need additional hand planing or sanding to get to the "finish" stage of applying you final finish, whatever that may be.  My Powermatic 221D was set up by me, and it has taken the "pepsi challenge" against a Grizzly 24" planer with a spiral head that a friend owns.  We ran a board each of some curly cherry I had sawn up through our planers, and compared how long it took to prepare each board face with a smoothing plane afterwards.  It actually took a little longer to remove the scallops from the shelix head than it did from the "ancient" Powermatic.

A lot of people talk about knife changes being time consuming vs. the shelix head of just rotating a cutter if it gets chipped.  This PM 160 has a grinder bar that was made for it, and you can usually find one available on craigslist or on the OWWM site for sale for a few hundred bucks, if you don't already have one.  I can re-grind my knives in about 20 minutes and get back to work with perfectly jointed and sharpened knives, so I don't think that's really a big deal.

Noise is also talked about.  These old cast iron machines ( I have about 30 of them in my shop) are no where near as noisy as a modern sheet metal modern planer from Grizzly, Jet, new asian Powermatic, etc...... but even so, you should wear hearing protection either way.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I've been restoring and using old American iron like this beauty in my workshop, which I'm in every single day working, for close to 20 years now, and I have talked to too many other woodworkers who have gotten rid of great old cast iron machines for a modern steel machine with a shelix head, and have regretted it because the performance gain was nowhere near what they were thinking it would be.

Just something to consider.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Deese

Thanks to everyone who has responded! Lots of good information here. I sent Powermatic an email yesterday and received a response from them this morning, with a number to call if I decide to go that direction.

woodworker9---Thank you for taking the time to type such a thorough, detailed reply, filled with good information.

Again, the responses are much appreciated!
Cooks AE4P Edger

Just Me

Byrd makes a head for that planer. I had them make one for my 180 before I went to one of them Italian jobs, and it served me well. I slowed the feed speed down on mine a touch, added a Wixey, and worked the daylights out of it.

That machine deserves some love........

tule peak timber

Just my 2 cents, but I look at planers as something to create a thickness quickly . I rely on a wide belt to produce a finish and precision thickness. One of my planers has a sharpening attachment, one replaceable blades, and my joiner has a tersa quick change blade system. Each blade system  has something to offer. What is your goal in running a planer, and is the investment worth it to upgrade a machine ? Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Deese

Yes, Powermatic told me to call Byrd in their email response this AM. However, I have decided to begin with new knives. It will be several months, if not longer before the planer will even be used. I am changing my direction in regards to my little sawmilling service with my manual mill. First, I am building inventory of air dried hardwood lumber of multiple, marketable species in my area air drying it. This will probably take me 3-4 months or possibly longer. Secondly and once I have enough stockpiled, I am investing in a small dehumidification kiln. The third step is when the planer (and jointer) will be used. So I'll begin with the knives until I can justify the money to advance. Lots of hard work in the near future, but that's the way it's always been. I'm excited.
Cooks AE4P Edger

YellowHammer

Deese, good for you, sounds like a plan.  I know it will turn out well.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Just Me

Quote from: Deese on April 13, 2017, 08:27:18 PM
Yes, Powermatic told me to call Byrd in their email response this AM. However, I have decided to begin with new knives. It will be several months, if not longer before the planer will even be used. I am changing my direction in regards to my little sawmilling service with my manual mill. First, I am building inventory of air dried hardwood lumber of multiple, marketable species in my area air drying it. This will probably take me 3-4 months or possibly longer. Secondly and once I have enough stockpiled, I am investing in a small dehumidification kiln. The third step is when the planer (and jointer) will be used. So I'll begin with the knives until I can justify the money to advance. Lots of hard work in the near future, but that's the way it's always been. I'm excited.

Consider running carbide straight knives. Well worth the investment especially as you will be planing clean fresh stock that you know the history of.  I run carbide Tersa in my planer and in the end it is much more economical than HSS or M42.

Dave at Oella Saw and Tool can set you up with carbide for that planer at a reasonable cost.

I don't look at my planer the same way as Rob. With the SCM and Tersa head what comes out of the planer is ready for machining.

hackberry jake

I have a Byrd in my 160 and absolutely love it. It was pricey, but saves $ in the long run not having to sharpen and set knives. Carbide is king.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Savannahdan

Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Thank You Sponsors!