iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

husky 359 run with no oil/gas mix question?

Started by davefrommd, November 12, 2005, 09:56:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davefrommd

I bought an as-is 359 husky for $100.00. It is like brand new and was run with out oil/gas mix from a customer who recently bought it and returned it for refund. I figured if it didn't run, the 20" bar looks like brand new with no wear and could be used for a spare for my other husky 20" chainsaw along with the like new chain. I haven't tried starting it even though it is not locked up. It came with a declined repair order saying it had a scorned cylinder with  a part number #5371573-2 (cylinder)and two gaskets #5039166-01. I haven't looked at it yet but is it possible this chainsaw can be fixed or even run. The airfilter and carburetor doesn't even have a speck of sawdust anywhere.  I figured this saw would be good for spare parts if nothing else.  If I want to get this chainsaw runningwhat should I do first. dave

floyd

See how bad the score is. I got away with changing out the rings on a 61 once or twice.

Rocky_J

Heck, price out the parts. In an afternoon with a few basic tools, you can have a brand new saw.

Mojo

Hi everybody ... my first post. Great forum with lots of info.
If the cylinder is scored and not scratched or grooved, all you would need to do is have it honed and then replace the piston rings (I think the 359 has two rings ?) Or if I had found that saw for $100, I would send it directly to ehp and have him do the rebuild and a nice port/exhaust/carb mod on it - then you would have an awesome saw for less than the price of a new stock saw.
If the cylinder cannot be honed clean (usually the scratches or grooves would have to be deep enough that your fingernail would catch in them if you drag it across the scored area for this to be the case), you will need to replace the cylinder and rings, and probably the piston too.
From how clean you describe it, I would guess that the saw hardly ever touched wood, and with no oil in the gas, it probably didn't run long, probably not long enough that the bearings suffered any damage anyway. In any case, that saw should be well worth repairing rather than using for parts.  Good luck with it, Mojo.

jokers

Wow Mojo, great first post since I pretty much agree with everything you`ve said with the exception of honing the cylinder. A propane torch to melt the wiped aluminum or muriatic acid with a really thorough rinse will do the job.

I`ll bet that with a new piston and rings the saw will be as good as new. I`ve salvaged a couple of brand new saws run on straight gas like this.

Russ

davefrommd

Thanks everyone for your input. It sounds like I may have gotten a good deal on this as-is saw. Yea if you put this saw next to a brand new 359, you can't tell the difference.  I'll take a closer look at it to see what the damage is. Appreciate all the good help. dave

davefrommd

Where's a good place to get husky chainsaw parts like say if I need a piston & rings. dave

Rocky_J

Quote from: davefrommd on November 13, 2005, 07:04:57 PM
Where's a good place to get husky chainsaw parts like say if I need a piston & rings. dave
Bailey's is a great source and they sponsor this forum. CCD (Commercial Cutters Direct) is another good option and they are very close to you.

davefrommd

Today I removed the muffler and looked at the piston & cylinder. The piston has verticle scratches along it's side. I lightly touched a screwdriver along the scratches and I can feel it. However The cylinder doesn't seem to have any scratches from looking through the opening. The piston ring is not broke or any physical damage I could see.  The piston I will replace for sure. Are there any aftermarket  piston/cylinder kits for the 359 and if so where can I buy them at. I didn't see any parts listed at CCD.  Just pulling on the starter rope this engine seems to have some good compression. I appreciate all the good help and suggestions. dave

sawguy21

You have to remove the cylinder anyway so why not have a good look for serious scratches or aluminum deposits. A light cleanup with Scotchbrite or a small finger hone might be enough. Use lots of lube with the hone and GO EASY.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

davefrommd

Can the piston  possibly be salvaged.  I am not familar with a finger hone. Where do I get that at.  I have had experience rebuilding a vw engine and know what those hones look like for car engines. I already have the workshop manual for the 359 but haven't looked at it yet.  thanks  dave

Sprucegum

A new piston complete with rings and wrist pin should cost you less than $80 and you will have a real good saw.

I bet you only need to clean that cylinder.

jokers

Quote from: davefrommd on November 15, 2005, 10:58:54 PM
Can the piston  possibly be salvaged.  I am not familar with a finger hone. Where do I get that at.  I have had experience rebuilding a vw engine and know what those hones look like for car engines. I already have the workshop manual for the 359 but haven't looked at it yet.  thanks  dave

The piston might be salvagable but I`d say it`s unlikely. The piston skirt  provides sealing of the ports at various times and also provides some sealing of the bore. It would be false economy to reuse the piston on an otherwise new saw.

Finger hones are what you would have used on your VW unless this term has a different meaning where sawguy is. You can use one in a 359 cylinder because it has closed ports. You simply cannot use one on an open port cylinder because it will catch. There is more to this issue that I won`t re-cover now, just that I wouldn`t recommend the hone without grave reservations.

The acid or a torch and a rag should get any wiped aluminum out of your cylinder. Make sure that the ports are beveled and there are no edges anywhere or of anything that can caught by the reciprocationg piston or rings and put it back together.

Be aware of proper orientation of the piston and ring as you put it back together, ie; the ring gap around the locater pin with the wide side of the bevel up and the mark on the dome of the piston should be toward the exhaust port.

CCD is a full service brick and mortar shop that has any part that you will need. Give them a call.

Russ

davefrommd

Ok, russ I understand now what to do.  Thanks very much for your help.  dave

Mojo

Dave I think you have quite a find there. From your last description, I would agree 100% with Jokers. If the cylinder only needs a little bit of cleaning, and you purchase a piston/ring set, you should have an excellent saw for under $200. And in my opinion, don't ever re-use a piston, do the job right once, and be done with it. Congrats on your find.

davefrommd

Yea, I like doing the job right the first time, that way I don't end up doing the job a second time.  I thought it was a good buy even if I salvaged the parts like the new bar and chain but I'm sure I'll get it running.   I will always be thinking about this chainsaw problem every time I gas up my chainsaws.

I have a routine I use for mixing the gas/oil mix. My gas can is marked with the 40-1 or 50-1 gas oil mix. When the gas can gets empty before I go to the gas station I add the oil mix in the gas can before leaving. This way should I get distracted at the gas station I won't have to worry if I added the oil or not.  I usually use a 2 gallon can with one gallon of gas for small jobs.  I mix 2 gallons for the larger job.   dave

Thank You Sponsors!