iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Working rain gear recommendations?

Started by DMcCoy, October 06, 2021, 09:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMcCoy

My old Helly-Hanson's need replacing.  A quick search looks like HH has gone yuppie.
Recommendations?

charles mann

I use the pvc vinyl carhart with neoprene cuffs. They are much heavier than HH, but like you said, they have gone hippie. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Coastallogger

Not suitable for everything, but if the task permits, the poncho gets under-utilized. Fewer seams to leak and bust, better mobility, it keeps your feet dry instead of dumping all the water directly on your feet. You can keep your tool belt/apron/pack dry as well. Nothing comes close in terms of breathability nor waterproof ness, and it is about the cheapest piece of kit you can find. Brand doesn't matter. 

Although I found a lightweight packable one that is a flat sheet with buttons and a hood in the middle. Unbutton the buttons and I had a ground sheet or lean to for making a meal. It had things in the corner for that. I bought it from Mountain Equipment Co-op for about 20$ years ago. They don't carry it anymore. If anybody finds it let me know. I had it stolen.
Building 20X20 dovetail log cabin off grid.

mike_belben

I had a north face high tech rain jacket for a while someone gave me and it was awesome but eventually the zipper busted.  Big money loss if id bought it.  

Frog toggs at walmart are what a lot of truckers buy and theyre decent.  Eventually you bust the crotch out squatting low but theyre cheap. I still have the jacket.  Had carharts but theyre heavy and sweaty.  Good for cold weather but will fall off my butt unless bibs.  For summer rain definitely frog toggs.
Praise The Lord

EricR

I live near New Bedford. (Number one fishing port in the us for the last 20 years) and grundens is all you will find at the ship supply stores.  

newoodguy78

FWIW picked up a pair of Helly-Hansen's at the beginning of this season probably around April. They were the only decent pair could find locally. Wore them a lot this summer especially in July and they've held up well. No rips and still keeping me dry. First pair of them I've had so can't compare to what they used to be. 
Curious what you go with always on the look out for quality rain gear.

Riwaka

At times controversial, the swazi range. (i.e some like the range, others avoid)  US Postal etc put up their prices recently, any international deliveries (in any direction) are getting to be significant coin depleters now.

Swazi | McDougall Logging - YouTube

scsmith42

I've been pleased with my Filson tin cloth jacket.  It's an extremely durable work coat that should last me 20 - 30 years.  Mine has the optional zip-in liner for colder weather, and the detachable rain hood.

Not cheap or fashionable, but a very durable product.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

kantuckid

Later model military surplus is my rain gear. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

johndozer

My Filson tin cloth jacket is approaching broken in at 25+years of service. I find the neoprene/PVC/rubber coated stuff too hot and sweaty for NW British Columbia. Woods and Viking make some decent coated nylon gear that doesn't break the bank

Thank You Sponsors!