iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do you know what to cut?

Started by asy, June 30, 2007, 09:51:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asy

Just wondering,

We have lots of logs, but are wondering what to cut. Not taking into account (for the moment) what would be 'best' out of the timber, how do you decide exactly what to cut?

Do you research what will sell, and if so, where do you research it?

Do you just cut whatever you think and see how it goes?

Do you contact a broker and see what they want (knowing you won't get best price for it)...

Am very interested in your thoughts.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Ron Wenrich

I'm cutting hardwoods on a commercial level.  We have a sale for most of our products before they are even cut.  Lumber is cut to the desired thickness and for the best grade.  When grade slips, then we go to cutting pallet stock or timbers. 

Smaller mills have a different set of parameters.  They may saw for a specific order.  The farmer needs a certain size of board for their barns, fences, etc.  The excess may be put on sticks and sold to the casual buyer.  You get more for your lumber, but have a higher carrying cost and higher amount of degrade.

You can also saw to have a certain amount and type of wood on hand.  If you are selling to local markets, you'll have to do some market research to get an idea.  Then, you would saw to supply whatever is your best sellers. 

The problems with putting wood in your yard is you have to have some creative marketing techniques.  If you miss the mark, then you have lots of stuff that just don't sell.  And that creates a loss.

You can saw for all three markets.  Wholesale some to keep money flowing, cut some for orders, and stock stuff that sells well.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Tom

I'm talking in Inches because that's what I know.

You can get a general idea if the wood is for you, because you know what you want to build.  Usually a good supply of structural stuff.  Here in the States it would 2.x4's and 2x6's with a smaller amount of 2x10's and 2x12's for beams and joists.  Then some cabinet wood for tables and such that you might want in the house and some heavier stuff for work benches in the barn.

If it's for sale, It's difficult to go  wrong with 1" stuff, whether it's for you or someone else.  If the wood is beam material, 4 x 4, 6 x 6, 8 x 8 and beams in the 3 x 8 and 4 x 12 catagory will give you an inventory that most lumber yards don't keep.

Sawing blind for a future unknown market is a tough thing to do regardless of where you live or what wood you have.

ARKANSAWYER

The best boards sell the best.  Seems like a dumb statement but it is very true.  If you take a 30 inch log and saw it all into 2x4's  they are not the best boards from the log.  Wide boards sell well here and so we saw to get the widest boards we can.  There are times when no matter what you saw it is not what people want. 
  What do people normally build with in your area and what type of logs do you have?  Here I have lots of hardwoods and softwoods.  Hardwoods are sawn random widths for the most part at the larger mills.  I found that if I saw to 6 and 8 inch widths people like them better.  Also they are limited to 10 ft in length so I saw alot of 12 and 16 ft lenghts so people have a choice and I offer 3/4 thickness.  I can not compete with the bulk 2x4 stud market but I am the only place you can buy a 26 ft 2x8 around.
  When I target new markets I ask what people want and what they can not get.  "If you could have?" "What would it be?"  Then I see if I can meet their need.  These are the more profitable markets.   You just have to see what is needed and used in your area.  Market research is needed and I have found that large chuncks of wood may lay around a spell but will sell and fetch better prices.
ARKANSAWYER

Ianab

Like they guys say, you have to find out the market / use of the boards you are going to cut. Then match that up with what you find in the logs  :P

You will probably end up cutting a variety of dimensions from each log.

I dont sell much sawn wood, but the stuff I can sell is high grade 25mm(1") thick boards, wider the better, for furniture / joinery. If a log will produce some of this, then thats what I cut, it's generally the most valuable.
The low grade part of the log can usually produce garden / landscape 'sleepers' if you have a durable species. Not high value stuff, but it's a good use for the knotty bits, quick and easy  to cut them with a swingblade and you can sell them direct to the public or wholesale to garden centres.
Also depends on species, but a few wide slabs, suitable for table tops and benches can sell well. If you want to go value added you can build nice solid outdoor furniture, picnic tables etc and sell the wood that way. I suggest the outdoor furniture because you can go rustic with roughsawn timber and galv bolts and it still looks good.
Other than that, saw the stuff to order. Cut those beams that people cant buy off the shelf anywhere else, but have your other markets in mind when you saw the logs. Someone wants 12x4 beams, sure you can saw them, just cut all the high grade wood off the outside and leave a nice heart centered beam  ;D

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

woodmills1

what kind of logs do you have, the answer will help me give you ideas.

I cut good pine to 4/4 and 5/4 wider is better

lesser pine 2by and 4x4

oak 4/4 5/4 and 2 by trailer decking or truck sides also 1x6 horse fence

walnut and cherry sell   maple somewhat less...............
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

asy

Thanks guys, gives us something to think about.

James, we're cutting Gum trees, mostly "Hardwood" but the softer end of the hardwood. This time it's Cadagi and Tallowwood.

Most of the trees are about 40cm diameter. We can cut 5m lengths on the mill we're using at the moment.

Tom, it's all good, I understand inches too...  ;)

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Thank You Sponsors!