iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Largest bar/chain choices for a John Deere CS62 (AKA Efco 162)

Started by gemniii, October 12, 2009, 07:34:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gemniii

The saw is comparable to the Stihl MS390.

Bailey's blade selector shows a 50" bar for the MS390 (presumably for stirring liquids, I can't imagine it having the power to use the full bar).
The largest offered for the JD is a 28" Oregon.
On the Oregon site the largest offered for the JD is 20".

Neither site offers one for an Efco 162, but for the Efco 165 (after Aug 07) Baileys lists the same 28" bar they list for the JD CS62.  If it's an Efco before Aug 07 max at Bailey's is 20".  On the Oregon site they offer a 24" for the Efco 165, with no mention of Aug.

Why would Oregon put the max at 20" for the JD, 24" for the Efco, and Bailey say 28" and it's an Oregon bar?

8" is a big difference (she said).

01crewcab

I always went by a "rule of thumb" of 6" of bar length for every cubic in of saw, which would put you at 23.4" bar length. I'm not at all familiar with the pulling power of a Stihl saw( or a JD or Efco), but a 3.9 cube saw should be able to handle a 24" bar. If you wanted to go to say 7" per cube then a 28"bar "should" work.
2100(2),480, 281, 181,372XPW, 460,435,350,61(4),51-Huskys
49SP, 630Super(3),670's(4), 830, 920, 930 Jonsered's
S-XL925 Homelite
SP125C, 790, 250, 1010 Macs
27Ton Troybilt Splitter
NRA Life Endowment Member
Viet Nam Vet

SawTroll

My guesstimate is 20" with full comp ("normal") chain, and 24-28 with skip......

Shorter bars will of course cut and balance better!   ;)
Information collector.

GASoline71

All depnds on the wood you're cuttin', and the chain you're usin'.

Even in the PNW softwoods a 390 will work it's butt off with a 28" bar...

It will work with a 24"/25" bar in softwoods... but hardwoods might be a different story.

Gary
\"...if ya mess with the bull... ya gets the horn.\"

olyman

24" will work good on that saw--the 264 oly i own, pulls a 24 all day long in ash, and howls in pine!!!!!!  ;D ;D and the one you want, will pull it better....

gemniii

Thanks for the advice quys but y'all missed the question:
Why would Oregon put the max at 20" for the JD, 24" for the Efco, and Bailey say 28" and it's an Oregon bar?

Why would Oregon list the 2 max sizes for the same saw while Bailey lists 28" for an Oregon bar?

Rocky_J

Bailey's doesn't recommend anything. They simply list what they have available. The 28" is the largest bar they have with that mounting pattern. It fits other saws than just the one you have.

James P.

Ok let me think about the question , oh I couldn't answer that cause I am not Baileys. Why not ask them, sorry just saw dust here. seems people take the time and are just being helpful.  IMO go with Oregons max. they made the bar. If you bought a set of tires who's specs would you go by. Maker or retailer.  DanG , James P.

beenthere

Quote from: gemniii on October 15, 2009, 06:14:00 AM
Thanks for the advice quys but y'all missed the question:

Why would Oregon list the 2 max sizes for the same saw while Bailey lists 28" for an Oregon bar?

As suggested, they stock what they think they can sell. Some don't want to stock the longer bars. Bailey's will cater to the customers who are looking for a longer bar. One reason Bailey's is a good place to shop.  :)

I like a 20" bar, and it does fine when trees I cut are less than 36" diam at the stump. Bigger than that, if it were real important, then I might seek out a longer bar just for a single large tree or two (a big redwood comes to mind  ;D )and nice to know that Bailey's could/would be able to supply one. Wouldn't use it everyday tho.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!