iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl ms 261 or Echo

Started by Swaen, August 11, 2019, 04:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swaen

We recently bought a house in Southern France and the intention is to partly heat it with fire wood. There is a piece of forest attached to the house and oak is the common tree here. The maximum size of the trees is about 15 inches in diameter. I use a Stihl 028 AV at the moment, but it tends to stall or run too fast or fails to start. So I need a replacement for it. I have been using it for the past months and that is all the experience I have with chainsaws. 
The most common chainsaws in the area are Echo and Stihl, with some huskvarna. 
There is an Echo dealer in the closest village, around 10 miles down the road. This is where we do most daily shopping. The Stihl dealer is about 20 miles away and we go there about once every 2 weeks. The Echo dealer doesnot sell Stihl, but will service it.

What would you recommend: Buy an Echo since the dealer is close by? Or go for the Stihl, for example an MS 261 despite the dealer being further away?
Please keep in mind I am a rooky with little experience. So a reliable chainsaw is a prerequisite. It is already difficult enough without having to worry about the chainsaw giving me troubles

Apologies for my English, my native language is Dutch and I am learning French and forgetting English in the process
Gerard 

lxskllr

Welcome! Either saw should serve you well for years. I think I'd go for the echo 501p. Cheaper price, and closer dealer are both objective criteria that can be acted on.

DelawhereJoe

Your 028 could just need some new fuel lines and maybe a carburetor, the 261 is a great saw we have 3 of them at work along with an Echo 670. Echo does make a good saw there pro saws do run slightly cheaper then Stihl or Husqvarna. If you didn't want the pro model price but still want a metal bodied saw the Echo cs 490 will fit the bill. If you want more power and a few more cc's look into the Echo 590 timberwolf here in the states they run about $400 the 490 runs about $350 both can be found on sale for much less.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

HotRail

Not sure on the price differences but since you are familiar with a Stihl 028 the stihh 261 or 261cm would work well for you.  I have a 261cm, great saw.  Might be biased a little but these just plain work well for my uses.

olcowhand

Swaen,
Welcome to the Forum, and I must say, your written English is as good as most on this site... In fact, with most of us- our native tongue is "Sarcasm" :D.
I can't speak for the Echo brand, but I have only good feedback regarding my Stihl saws, one of which is an MS 261 CM. I bought it after reading a thread by @holmentree and it has grown into my go- to saw for the properly- sized hardwoods I cut here. Willard might come along and offer his expert opinion. Good luck with whichever saw you choose.
Steve (or should I say: Etienne?)
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

John Mc

Have you considered just bringing your 028 AV in for service?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Pine Ridge

Ms 261 will last many years if maintained and taken care of.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

HolmenTree

Welcome to our forum Swaen.
For your size of trees and what you want to do with them a new Stihl MS261CM would be perfect for you.
You will be very impressed with the saw compared to your Stihl 028.
Another good thing is the 028 bars and chains will fit the 261.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

HotRail

Quote from: HolmenTree on August 11, 2019, 09:31:28 PM
Welcome to our forum Swaen.
For your size of trees and what you want to do with them a new Stihl MS261CM would be perfect for you.
You will be very impressed with the saw compared to your Stihl 028.
Another good thing is the 028 bars and chains will fit the 261.
I agree on the 261cm over the 261 like HolmenTree says due to user friendliness of not having to manually make carb adjustments.  Swaen, you'll like this feature over the regular carbed 261 in my opinion.  Never had a problem with a 261cm mtronic system...shoot, never had a problem period and that includes a 1st gen 261, a 1st gen 261cm, and now the latest 2nd gen 261cm...

vonb

Both Echo and Stihl are great saws. You really can't go wrong with either. I have both. I just recently purchased the Echo 501P as it was the lightest saw in the 50cc class. I also have a Stihl 250, 290, 362. The 362 is a great saw but is too heavy for the general firewood cutting that I do. The Stihl 250 is temperamental about starting at times. That led me to an Echo. I've always had great luck with Echo trimmers and thought I'd try one of their saws.

hedgerow

Welcome Swaen
I would look into getting the 028 serviced and buy a new 261. I would stay with Stihl even though the dealer is a little feather away and the saw will cost a little more. 

Swaen

Thanks you all for the valuable input.

Some suggested to get the 028 AV serviced and stick with it. Others suggested to choose the MS 261 because it is more convenient to have chainsaws from the same brand, although the Echo was deemed a good choice as well. 

So here is what happened:
I had the 028 AV serviced some time ago. The first time in Holland, where the carb was cleaned and a small cup like part was replaced. Back in France the 028 didn't want to start after a while and I had it serviced again in France, where chainsaws are more common than in the Netherlands. After that it ran better but it idled very fast. I suspect the clutch isn't working well but I can't get to it that easily since the plastic white wheel is stuck. The service station recommended not to use the Aspen fule on such an old saw, but mix my own. 

Yesterday I cut down two dead oaks with about a foot and a half in diameter and cut them up into one meter (3 feet plus) blocks. The 028 ran great, cut extremely well. In order not to cause overheating I didn't let it idle, but turned it off for every pauze.

Current situation:
The confidence in the 028 AV is back. I will stick with it, but noticed it is important to have a backup saw in case it gets pinched in. The second chainsaw will be some type of Stihl so there is only one brand. I may get a second hand Stihl in the Netherlands if possible an ms 261

Thanks again for all your advice

Gerard

John Mc

Good luck with it, @Swaen , and welcome to the Forestry Forum.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

HolmenTree

@Swaen, good to hear you got the 028 running.
After working a saw at maximum power for a length of time it's a good idea to let it idle briefly rather then shutting it off immediately after cutting.
The fan on the flywheel blows the extra heat out and the piston and bearings get a extra coat of lubrication from the fuel mix.
Ready to go for the next startup.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Pine Ridge

You mentioned it idling fast. It should have an idle adjustment screw, turn it clockwise to idle up and counterclockwise to idle down. If the saw is running good otherwise it may just need idled down, if it starts running lean it may have an air leak, bad seal possibly.

John Mc

Quote from: Swaen on August 15, 2019, 05:46:41 AMAfter that it ran better but it idled very fast.

You should get that looked at. It could be something simple, such as the idle speed screw turned up to far. It could also be an air leak - that can cause our saw to run fast and/ot unevenly at idle. An air leak can also cause your saw to run too lean and cause overheating issues or cause your saw to seize up.

QuoteI suspect the clutch isn't working well but I can't get to it that easily since the plastic white wheel is stuck.

I'm not really familiar with the 028AV, but what plastic white wheel blocks access to the clutch?

Pine Ridge

Thank You Sponsors!