iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rain and Mud

Started by Rhodemont, December 20, 2023, 04:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nativewolf

We are in a project outside Harpers Ferry and Thursday afternoon there was lightning and thunder, amazing show, sky turned blue/purple when the lightning went cloud to cloud.  Just a wild afternoon that kept me from working.  Didn't help our own mud situation, we maybe got .5 and inch of rain but it was unexpected and not needed.  
Liking Walnut

Rhodemont

Things were getting better with cold nights and drying in the afternoon.  My forest thinning project was progressing well. They were able to run the HydroAx in the mornings then hand cut as things softened up each day.  I would say after all the rain last night and going to 60 deg today it is shut down for a while.  Long range forecast looks like no more below freezing temps.  Even if we dip one night it will not matter. Since they can not cut April and May it could be Mid summer before they can get back at it.
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

Peter Drouin

All the road bands are up in NH. With mud everywhere.ffsmiley
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

cutterboy

Here also. The frost is out of the ground, things are wet and muddy. No tractor in the woods any more. 
I dug parsnips yesterday.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

thecfarm

My Father loved his parsnips.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

nativewolf

Have to move a harvester through the woods to a landing to fix the crane, again.  Feel sorry for the mechanics.  Wet here and pouring right now but they are on the clock, two trucks.  
Liking Walnut

mudfarmer

Almost got all the waterbars in, made a mess and broke skidder  smiley_thumbsdown rain coming soon but at least got it limped out

Nativewolf keep feeling sorry for the mechanics we/they need the sympathy 

Firewoodjoe

Here to. But I think I've got the top soil worn out in my turn around. Find out tomorrow. Just keep giving it! Must be machine break down time. My buncher is out in the woods. Left it there last week. Hit a cradle knoll to hard with a tree in the head and blew something in the steering. Hoping it's a hose. Look at it better tomorrow. Always something when logging. 

I hope you guys machines go well. I'm lucky enough to have enough machines and lack of employee I just go to the next seat to keep wood moving. That's what counts. 

nativewolf

I agree FWJ, right now not having a harvester sort of kills the business proposition and the monthly payments...well they are not going down.  

Good news is that I have a few days handfelling in front of bat restrictions for a development so that's good money and very simple.  I could use a winter of that work.  They don't have land disturbance permits (takes a year) but if the trees are there they have to wait to get the permits.  So, down come the trees.  High stumps requested by excavator drivers, no bending back.  Nice.
Liking Walnut

ehp

Raining here pretty hard and turning colder and is to snow tomorrow after 3 inches or so of rain , it was just starting to dry up abit but oh no it had to rain again

B.C.C. Lapp

Rain all day yesterday. Wet snow today.  Dang it.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

thecfarm

Where I cut my firewood up was a little muddy. Sawdust and bark does not help. 
Yesterday I went down there and picked some wood up and it had dried out a lot. But it's raining now. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

cutterboy

In the last two weeks we have had five rain storms. (1",1.2",.5",1.8",1.2") Near impossible to get anything done outside.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

B.C.C. Lapp

We got about 4 inchs of snow last night. Its going to be melted by tomorrow afternoon.  That ain't gonna help matters.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

ehp

Its wet here , last weekend rain storms was inches of rain, landing and fields are under water

ehp

She is no good where I am so might have to move , still 6 inches of water in my landing and its to rain again tomorrow night , 

ehp

I think I may pull out from where I am and go cut a small job that seems dry enough to do so , everyday it's either rain or snow here 

Rhodemont

Thing were just getting dried out.  2+ inches already today with couple more hours of heavy to come= MUD

ehp

4 inches of snow yesterday , 20F this morning and 70F by 1 this afternoon , what a mess , I cut and skidder for as long as I could without making any mess then buck everything up, will go back in tomorrow morning in the dark and pile as its to be colder in the morning than today but same thing warm up fast , Monday is warmer and tuesday is rain

Rhodemont

another 3 inches.  We are talking MUD.

Thank You Sponsors!