iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The neighbor wants something....

Started by Brad_bb, March 17, 2018, 12:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

So I knew a guy who knew a guy in my circle of acquaintances in my town who had some nice walnut trees he was going to have taken down(next to power lines etc).  He agreed to let me have them at $1/BF Doyle but I had to get them out of there and not significantly damage the lawn.  So I got my Ranger and logrite arch and as the tree service started taking them down(in as long a pieces as they could safely) I got the pieces one by one and loaded them on my little 12 ft trailer.  It's hard work.  I back the first and biggest log on with the arch.  The others I back on as far as I can go, set it down on rollers, re-hook the arch further forward and run it back and finish it on by pushing.  Once on the rollers (small round branch chunks), they are not bad to push on.  So I get about 5 pieces on each trailer load, making 8 or 9 trips back to my place.  Easy to unload with forklift and lifting hook.
  So I'm about halfway through and the neighbor is talking to the owner and I see him coming over to me intently.  I know what he wants before he ever gets to me.  He's heard I have a sawmill.  He tells me he'd like to get a mantle with all this wood I'm getting out.  I can tell that he doesn't think it would be hard for me, or cost him much.  He doesn't overtly say this.  But I can tell.  He think's I'm getting all this wood for free or cheap.  I'm sure he doesn't see the sweat pouring down my face and clouding my safety glasses.  He's sort of insisting, being pushy.  I can't tell him what I really would like to, because obviously he's the owners neighbor.  I try to be as polite as I can and push him off. I tell him I'm not a business and I'm getting the wood to build my dream home. That doesn't dissuade him.  He then tells me he wants a mantle 12 inches wide and 12 feet long.  Oh boy!  
  Out of breath from loading logs I told him that's pretty big, let me think about that.  I had to tell him that several times and that I need to get back to work.  The next day(yesterday) he comes back again while I'm working with the property owner.  While the initial chit chat was going on, I was racing in my head to think about this.  Mind you I have never sold any wood, do not want to sell any wood.  Another buddy had called me a week earlier  wanting a mantle.  He is a buddy so I told him I'd help him out.  He asked what it would cost and of course I said don't worry about it.  I couldn't charge him, or at least not more than what I paid for the log.  He wants to bring his kids to see it cut. Back to the neighbor...Thinking fast I explained to him that first, it would take a really big, primer walnut log, and only one of the best two logs on this job would even work for that.  Second, the wood would be green and take years to dry and stop moving.  And then you'd need to re plane it. I said it would be easier to glue up two or three pieces to make a 12 inch wide piece, but anything I had would be green and you couldn't glue it.  I said now if you are ok with doing a laminated mantle, you can buy dry 1" boards and glue them up to a piece like you want and it will be dry and stable.  That is the way to go, but unfortunately I don't have the boards, or a jointer to do a glue up like that (which is true, I'm looking at a used jointer now).  I said I am also swamped with work and really don't have any time, which is also true.  
 It's just amazing how people think, or rather don't think about what's involved.  I could tell he wanted something at low cost or no cost.  This while he sees how hard I'm working to get wood loaded and hauled.  So many people don't value, or underestimate the value of your work and just think because you're getting his neighbor's wood, that it should be cheap or free to him even if you have to load, haul, saw and haul it again.
 The tree guys were really good.  I got a lot of good branches that will make nice timberframe brace stock.  The butt logs from the 4 trees were two straight 20ft x16in at the small end, one straight 16ft x15in at small end, one 12ft x 13in small end, and one 9.5ft x 34in.  I have to hire someone to haul these last 4 for me.  I pray it doesn't cost me too much.
Here is the last one being felled.
Last felled - YouTube
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Crossroads

I would make sure the owner is paid in full, then tell the neighbor flat out. I'm sorry, but I can't help you. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Crossroads on March 17, 2018, 12:41:15 PM
I would make sure the owner is paid in full, then tell the neighbor flat out. I'm sorry, but I can't help you.

x2
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Resonator

x3 what Crossroads said. I know those guys are a tree service and not hardwood loggers, but OUCH!!  Did the guy in the video leave a 3 foot high stump to cut down a Walnut!?  "An inch at the stump is worth a foot at the crown." (Old saying.)
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

alanh

Customers neighbors are the worst, I do pools all summer and as you said, you can tell they want something as they`re walking over... "while you`re here with the backhoe can you dig out for my sidewalk?", or " You can dump that load of topsoil in my yard...just don`t make any ruts".. Some are just nosy.. "I`m thinking about a pool, how much is one like this?"

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Brad_bb on March 17, 2018, 12:02:42 PMI have to hire someone to haul these last 4 for me.

Don't think you can parbuckle them on to your trailer like these?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Brad_bb on March 17, 2018, 12:02:42 PMHe then tells me he wants a mantle 12 inches wide and 12 feet long.
:) :) :) Candidate for the wide AND thick board club. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

SawyerTed

I've learned quickly to get my phone and call up one of my board feet calculator apps and start ciphering.....

I would explain...

48 board feet times $11.75 (neighbor nuisance premium for thick and wide walnut) is $564 plus tax.  That's the price, it's green and you'll have to let it air dry as long as 4 years before it is usable....  Delivery is $75 an hour with a $75 minimum.  CASH! 

If that doesn't scare him off, I'd cut it and laugh when I put the cash in my pocket.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Southside

I will be glad when the walnut craze settles down, at least the gorby portion of it.  Had a wide board club charter member this morning that wanted a highly valuable walnut log sawn up, basically for nothing.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Don P

Quote from: SawyerTed on March 17, 2018, 02:59:38 PM
neighbor nuisance premium
a friend calls that Hassle Tax :D

I did a little sawing this morning just for fun. My sawing partner had done the wide board club sawing for a young guy with a very large walnut and they brought the limbs over here. Not much count woodwise but he didn't want to waste the tree and is just getting going with woodworking. Nice young man, hopped right in and helped, his uncle showed up and helped,  little 5 or 6 year old nephew... well he weren't all that much help but a good kid, we all had a good time. As the young man was getting ready to go he said call me whenever you want a hand sawing. Life is funny that way. If somebody shows they have the stuff I'll take off my shirt and help them beat out a fire, if they come up with their hand out they are going to leave with that hand empty.

Brad_bb

Resonator, The tree service guys were pretty good.  They salvaged a lot that would normally have been cut too short to use.  They were working right on the power lines too.  Yes they left 2 feet on that one, but the log up to the crotch is still a long useable log.  It will become a beam for me.  The homeowner was friends with the tree service owner so that helped a lot and I think there was a more jovial attitude on side than I see on most tree service jobs.  

SawyerTed, you're probably right on.  I don't have any clue what I would have to charge someone as I've not added up my costs for that purpose.  Nor do I even want to sell anything.  I'm greedy, all the wood is for MEEEEEE!  You can see I was also treading lightly.  I didn't want to make the guy mad.  I wanted him to see it from my side, which I think I did kind of.  I think I convinced him that wet wood was not going to be good for his purpose.

liljohsaw, no my little trailer won't haul them.  One day I have to find somebody I can trade with to get the hauling done.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Brad_bb on March 17, 2018, 11:16:12 PMliljohsaw, no my little trailer won't haul them.

Actually, my trailer won't haul all that much.  It was a little boat trailer with a questionable drop axle on it.  I took that one off and modded it down for a little 4x5 trailer I made out of scrap 4x4 tube.  This trailer got a new/used 3,500# axle with brakes.  It seems to haul about 4k no problem.  I think those two logs were over that :-X
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

WV Sawmiller

Brad,

I think I'd have told the busybody neighbor "Yes, these are great logs and that's why I already have them committed in my building plan. If you'd like me to saw you a mantel I will be glad to do so. Just bring me your log and I'll saw you one for $____" or "I don't saw for the public but you can check on the FF or WM site for local sawyers who do and they can come saw your log for you."
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

We use to have a greenhouse. Some would get looking around and ask what that was? Sawmill is down back and hard to make out what it is. The ones that wanted something for nothing would ask about me sawing. I would say I only saw for myself. They would keep at me. I would give them some stupid high price. That would stop the talk. ;D 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Brad_bb

These are the 4 trunk logs I got. 3 are 17"-22" at small end, and last fat one is 34 at the base and 20 inch on each split trunk.  I also got a whole lot of good branch wood for live edge braces and some live edge railing. 

Southside

JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

SawyerTed

Looks like you got some great logs despite the owner's neighbor.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

YellowHammer

I think many of us have been there, you handled it well.  

Oh, by the way, those ARE nice logs, could you make me a free mantle or three and deliver them, too? :D  I need it yesterday. I'd talk more, but I've got to go sit on the couch, it's kind of hot out here.  I don't see how you can stand it.  But I guess you are used to it.  :D :D :D

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Brad_bb

The three straight logs will become beams.  The fat one will likely be slabs/table tops. Unfortunately I'm not done with the neighbor.  We were over there yesterday to move the logs out to the road and he came over again.  He wants to come out and see my operation.  I told him I had two more trips to make with my trailer to get the last little logs and my ranger and arches home, but after that this afternoon he could.  I wanted to get it done with, placate him etc.  I didn't want him interrupting us on a milling day when we are trying to get work done.  So come 4pm I phone him to tell him I'm taking the last load home and he could follow me, but he told me he had an appointment and would have to be another day.  I'm sure he will call me again.

Jeff

Oh no. You gave him your phone number?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Peter Drouin

Why dance with him, If you're not selling lumber or cutting for customers, Tell him so and be gone with him.
If you would have Straighten him out from the getgo he wouldn't be up your backside.
Good luck.  :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Southside

Quote from: Jeff on March 21, 2018, 01:18:57 PM
Oh no. You gave him your phone number?
Not a mistake any woman would have ever made.  Funny how they have a fake number ready to pass out.   :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Don P

Quote from: Southside logger on March 21, 2018, 07:37:03 PM
Not a mistake any woman would have ever made.  Funny how they have a fake number ready to pass out.   :D
I'm sorry  :D

Ooh, sorry, it was too good a setup line :D

Roxie

Southside logger you've been killing it.  :D :D  You are correct, though, most women have a memorized fake number, address, and even name.  We don't call it fake, just a redirect.  I have a friend that gives out the state police barracks phone. 
Say when

PA_Walnut

Quote from: Brad_bb on March 21, 2018, 12:59:24 PMI didn't want him interrupting us on a milling day when we are trying to get work done.  So come 4pm I phone him to tell him I'm taking the last load home and he could follow me, but he told me he had an appointment and would have to be another day.  I'm sure he will call me again.

Most areas have selective call forwarding. I used to forward my X-wife's calls to dial-a-prayer. So, when she'd call to yap at me about something, she'd get, "Let us pray..." It was quite effective! :D;D
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Blue Noser

Quote from: Resonator on March 17, 2018, 01:14:08 PM
x3 what Crossroads said. I know those guys are a tree service and not hardwood loggers, but OUCH!! Did the guy in the video leave a 3 foot high stump to cut down a Walnut!? "An inch at the stump is worth a foot at the crown." (Old saying.)
In the North-Eastern softwoods I've heard people say there is as much wood in a 1 foot (0.33m) stump as there is in the last 8 foot stick (2.44m). A rough measure thrown around to remind people that high stumps are a waste of wood (although may be necessary in certain circumstances).

YellowHammer

Congratulations, you have your first Vulture!  They will circle and wait, and then when you have almost forgotten about them, they will glide in and start trying to get as much of your wood as possible, for free.  They will use your politentess and social training against you, and make you feel like you owe them something, even though you don't even know their name.

In the words of Nancy Reagan, "Just say No"
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Sixacresand

Lots of us people want something for nothing.  But you get what you pay for.  When I set the mill up at craft festivals, most people are interested in free slabs and sawdust.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Southside

Quote from: Don P on March 21, 2018, 09:11:09 PM
Quote from: Southside logger on March 21, 2018, 07:37:03 PM
Not a mistake any woman would have ever made.  Funny how they have a fake number ready to pass out.   :D
I'm sorry  :D

Ooh, sorry, it was too good a setup line :D
OUCH!!!  And here I thought the chainsaw board was a rough neighborhood!!   :D :D :D :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Southside

Quote from: Roxie on March 22, 2018, 05:24:00 AMYou are correct, though, most women have a memorized fake number, address, and even name.  We don't call it fake, just a redirect

Fortunately for me the last one goofed up and gave me her real number. ;D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Brad_bb

It's ok.  I'll deal with him.  

Here is a shot using two logrite arches  to get the 24.5 foot straight log from the yard to the road.  I actually had to go backwards to the road.  I put a strap on the front arch to try and keep it from turning to one side the other.  It didn't work completely, so I ended up doing a lot of back and forth to get the rear of the log pointed to where I wanted to go.  Then I could reverse out.

One of the most important things about using the arches is getting the log as high off the ground as possible especially on uneven ground.  I used ratchet straps to do that.  I wish I would have brought a come along as the longer handle would have been much easier than the short ones on the straps.  There were some planting beds to negotiate, and a dip by along the road that I traversed by hitting it diagonally and keeping my momentum up.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Roxie on March 22, 2018, 05:24:00 AM
  I have a friend that gives out the state police barracks phone.
I know a girl who has the US Marine Corp on speed dial.
She hates goats! 
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

slider

Blue Noser you are correct  about the high stumps but those power lines were what made him decide to cut higher. He did not want to deal with the root flair even with a rope in it . Especially the fiber optic lower line, they are very expensive if you make a mistake.
al glenn

Resonator

You're right, I stand corrected. I watched the video again, and yes, those wires were pretty close. The tree service did what was safest cutting by power lines. And it's good to see how much wood was saved. If it had been loggers in the woods working far from high voltage, then I don't think they'd leave that high of a stump. 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

JRHill

TG he's not *your* neighbor. But, seriously, neighbors are critical. After immediate family, who else is better able to help in an emergency esp. if you are remote?

TKehl

Probably best to leave it alone.  If you charge to low, you get cheated.  If you charge ask a fair price, they guy you got the logs from will hear about it (I gar-un-tee), and he will feel cheated.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Thank You Sponsors!