iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Has anyone ever seen/used a single saw scragg?

Started by Steve83856, September 30, 2019, 09:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve83856

Good evening, Just curious if you guys have ever seen a single saw scragg? I was thinking this would be a faster way of breaking down small logs for my horizontal resaw. Doing it now on wood mizer is soooo slow, just splitting them in half for the resaw. I just picked a bellsaw that I thought would be a great start to building one. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks 

Ron Wenrich

I think a lot depends on what kind of production levels you're going for and what size of logs you have.  Kara is a Finish sawmill that uses a movable bed instead of a carriage.  An interesting approach and they are pretty fast.  I've even seen something that used a pto on a tractor for power.

Another approach is to use a trough system that centers the log and sends it through the mill.  There would be no return of the log like the Kara bed system.  If you're using small logs and short logs, this system could work if you only wanted to split them.  

Both systems would require some hydraulics or air as they use movable fences and something to power the feed.  You might be able to fabricate something from the Belsaw, depending on your fabrication abilities.  Take a look at some of the systems on Youtube.  There's a wide variety.

If you're looking at lower production, you can just use the Belsaw as it is and sidestep all the fabrication.  

Kara mill:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9T-g4Hw0XY
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!