iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The new mill, tractor and some work piled up

Started by justallan1, November 01, 2022, 05:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justallan1

I've mentioned a couple times that I built a new mill last winter and figured that I'd better show it off some.
I mainly wanted something wider, just to make things faster and easier for clamping. Other than that I wanted longer tracks.
It's 39" inside the carriage uprights and I think 34" between the blade guides. It will saw a 20' long log with a little extra. I don't really want to saw a 20" log, but rather have the extra length so I don't have to be so perfect when I set a log on it.
All new pulleys, 18 3/4" bandwheel pulleys, 1 1/2" shafts, bearings and on and on from Surplus Center.
New HF Predator 22hp engine. It seems that they are getting a better name these days, we'll see.
New Cooks fully adjustable blade guides that are well worth the coin spent.
99% of the metal was scrounged either from around the ranch or from the dump.
I do think that I overbuilt the carriage....severely! It does travel easily though. The main rectangular tubing is 2"x3"x1/4" scored from the dump. The two cross pieces that hold the bandwheels and blade adjustment is (I believe) 3"x1/4" square tubing, from the power company that gave me about 40 power poles also.
The tracks are 2"x6" channel from a blown down airplane hangar on the ranch and 7/8" sucker rod that I actually had to pay for.
I for sure want to change my log clamps and add log dogs, for safety and ease of use. I need to build a better pointer for the scale.
I have 12 volt power chair motors and am thinking of having power lift and may just go for power feed also, but am concerned with how much power I can use without having to add an alternator.

I just bought the Farmall and it's a work in progress yet.

This picture of the logs is my project to tackle when time allows.
The coal mine took some land from the ranch that the trees were on and with a little begging to the right folks at the mine, a buddy and myself ended up getting right at 150 logs, some at his house and the majority of them in this pile.

justallan1

I'd better add that I do still have the EZ Boardwalk Jr. and do like it better, mainly because it's become automatic in my little brain as to where my hands need to be and my system on how I run it.
This one should be great once I get the changes that I need on it done and some time running it.

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

justallan1

Quote from: barbender on November 01, 2022, 05:55:56 PM
That's a great looking build, Allan!👍
Thank you.
There were absolutely no plans that I went off of for it, just looking at pictures on this site and one other and asking questions.
Luckily I bought everything to build two of them while it was cheaper, so I might build another one this winter with a couple small changes.

TN King

Nice build. Now the work begins sawing, stickering and stacking to dry.
Timberking 2020 - Mahindra 3550PST - Titan implements -
1840's two story log home - 50x60 log pole barn with 6 stalls - Trout pond - Hardwood timber stands - fruit trees - natural springs and lots of wildlife.

Patrick NC

Nice build and nice farmall. As for how much power it takes for power feed/ head lift, my Norwood has both with no alternator. Just the charging system on the motor. I'm not familiar with how much power it takes to run the motors you have. Mine uses 12v gear motors like on a dump truck tarp.
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

justallan1

Quote from: Patrick NC on November 01, 2022, 06:34:20 PM
Nice build and nice farmall. As for how much power it takes for power feed/ head lift, my Norwood has both with no alternator. Just the charging system on the motor. I'm not familiar with how much power it takes to run the motors you have. Mine uses 12v gear motors like on a dump truck tarp.
These came off of a wheelchair with a 24 volt system, but run fine on 12 volt.
I think it might be smart for me to just stick with power lift for now and see what happens.

reride82

The mill looks good, Allan. Is that an H or an M Farmall? I have a soft spot for a Farmall with a farmhand loader. I have an M that is a continuous work in project as well, but hydraulics are a life saver. 8)
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

justallan1

Quote from: reride82 on November 01, 2022, 07:11:27 PM
The mill looks good, Allan. Is that an H or an M Farmall? I have a soft spot for a Farmall with a farmhand loader. I have an M that is a continuous work in project as well, but hydraulics are a life saver. 8)
It's an "M" with an F-11 loader. I got it for $1800 and it's worth that I suppose, it's for sure plenty strong.
I'm looking into switching it fully into 12 volt, right now it's somewhere in between so I don't use it much out of fear of what all I'll melt.  :D

Wlmedley

Does the garage door spring work pretty good?Thinking about adding something to my mill to make it raise a little easier.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Crusarius

I to am very curious about the spring. did you try to raise and lower before adding the spring? I have a torsion spring I have threatened to add since my acme rods get gummed up and it lifts very slow.

justallan1

Quote from: Wlmedley on November 01, 2022, 07:53:10 PM
Does the garage door spring work pretty good?Thinking about adding something to my mill to make it raise a little easier.
Yes it does. I got the idea from my EZ Boardwalk jr. mill.
My first attempt at tightening one resulted in breaking it and having it unwind a foot from my face. I don't care that it couldn't actually come off and hit me, it sure as anything wakes you up right now.
Without the shroud and engine on the mill you literally have to push it down as you crank down on it.

newoodguy78

Nice job on the mill looks like something built to last. 
You aren't kidding about those torsion springs. Had one get away from me once, gave me a case of the big eyes real fast. 

justallan1

Quote from: newoodguy78 on November 02, 2022, 10:25:55 PM
Nice job on the mill looks like something built to last.
You aren't kidding about those torsion springs. Had one get away from me once, gave me a case of the big eyes real fast.
Thank.
There's a few things that I'll change, but it saws straight boards and I like it.

Beavertooth

2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

reride82

Quote from: justallan1 on November 01, 2022, 07:21:54 PM
Quote from: reride82 on November 01, 2022, 07:11:27 PM
It's an "M" with an F-11 loader. I got it for $1800 and it's worth that I suppose, it's for sure plenty strong.
I'm looking into switching it fully into 12 volt, right now it's somewhere in between so I don't use it much out of fear of what all I'll melt.  :D
I paid $900 for mine 5 years ago, and it was rough with a narrow front end and a Du-al loader, so in today's market I think you did good. I prefer the F-11 to a Du-al loader anyways. Mine is mostly converted to 12v too, and it has worked well in those 5 years. I'm still waiting to get lights and a tune-up done, but those things were put on hold.
Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Thank You Sponsors!